Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #1
o_puppychow

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
down the line: FF with portals?

do you think that FF will be modded down the line with portal technology? i potentially see the faction who love teleporters to somehow mod FF so that an engie could use portals as the new tele.

i have no idea how difficult or whatever that would be but i wouldnt be shocked.

we will obviously at some point see a neo mod and a hook mod.

edit: it actually could be a really neat ability for the spy to have limited portal making ability for a mod of ff...but only for himself.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 04:24 PM   #2
o_zaskar

I just hope they eventually make it so its able to be done in maps with static portals. They dont need to look like those round tiny ones with the water effect, but just the ability to join visually and physically 2 spots seemlessly is kind of amazing and could make for interesting maps.
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 06:08 PM   #3
o_frenchtoast

I vote no.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 06:10 PM   #4
o_vertical

If there where two things I always hated it would be Hook Mod, and NeoTF respectfully. I hate hook mod more because it is a serverside mod, so you don't know before you join the server that its there. And it completely unbalances gameplay because sollys Rjump is no longer useful, nor are concs, etc. and snipers have a field day. It is by far the worst mod for TFC ever, and helped to remove more players from servers. NeoTF for those that liked TFC was like the retarded brother. It had so much stupid gay crap in it that it was unplayable for those that loved TFC, and those that played NeoTF for the majority prefered it over TFC because they loved all the stupid shit in it. I hope neither of these will be made, but they probably will, once again dividing a community further. Anway, end rant :P I just hope that neither of these are made, and hope the person who wanted to make these reads this post or one like it elsewhere and for the good of the community changes his/her mind.
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #5
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Portals are really hard to destroy.

Old 08-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #6
o_nezumi

Being able to have at least static portals would be cool. Especially if you could make them unnoticeable.

You could make extra-dimensional maps that way. It'd be awesome.

I'm assuming that portals are on the list with HDR, phong shading and rim lighting though
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
o_shadow

Which mod was it that just recently released a video of portal-making? It was really cool, and you could see from one portal to the other, etc.. That would be a nice replacement for the Tele, only vasly harder to hit. However, it would add an evening element if the enemies could use it, too.
o_shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 01:54 AM   #8
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Strider Mod, if not Portal itself.

Old 08-12-2006, 03:45 AM   #9
o_wunder

ew.

i think portals are a neat fad but dont need to be in every game.
o_wunder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 03:54 AM   #10
o_|res|entreri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertical
I just hope that neither of these are made, and hope the person who wanted to make these reads this post or one like it elsewhere and for the good of the community changes his/her mind.
Did you know that billdoor was affiliated with coding of BOTH Neo-TF and Fortress-Forever.

Last edited by o_|res|entreri; 08-12-2006 at 03:15 PM.
o_|res|entreri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 03:59 AM   #11
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
billdoor is quite a badass.

Old 08-12-2006, 09:00 AM   #12
o_hughj

Quote:
Originally Posted by |RES|Entreri
Did you know that billdoor was one affiliated with coding of BOTH Neo-TF and Fortress-Forever.
OMG FF is ruined!! (
o_hughj is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #13
o_sh4x

I think sometimes it's best to NOT do something for a game.

I hope bots won't be used for anything else then teaching newbs how to play or act as a volleyball.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #14
o_ihmhi

What is hook mod? I have only been in the TFC scene for about eight months.

On top of that, I have an idea of what NeoTF is, but what is Admin Mod?

/hijack
o_ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 05:55 PM   #15
o_thndrshk2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
You could make extra-dimensional maps that way. It'd be awesome.
Now only to find a way to adjust a local player's gravity, and make doorways act as a portal. then we'd have a whole lot of confusion and 4th dimensional fun

Hell, we even could make that Stairway painting a level.
o_thndrshk2k is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 06:17 PM   #16
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThndrShk2k
Now only to find a way to adjust a local player's gravity, and make doorways act as a portal. then we'd have a whole lot of confusion and 4th dimensional fun

Hell, we even could make that Stairway painting a level.
you would be able to, i posted a pic of it somewhere on here.

well, you "should", when in the demo you made a portal on the floor and one on the wall, you saw up from the floor's perspective, but on the hole in the wall, passing through just changed the gravity.

Old 08-12-2006, 06:20 PM   #17
o_toffee

There's TFC maps out there that used static teleporters (Mulch_trench off the top of my head)

So allowing the ability for static portals in FF would be the same thing except it would just look cooler right ?

If thats the case then surely its just a question of whether its worth the devs putting time into allowing its use by mappers over whether its worth implementing it this way gameplay wise ? In short - Giving the ability for a class to use portals I concede is a big discussion, but giving mappers the ability to implement portals surely isnt.
o_toffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 07:18 PM   #18
o_sidd42

Now you are thinking with portals
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-12-2006, 08:05 PM   #19
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toffee
There's TFC maps out there that used static teleporters (Mulch_trench off the top of my head)

So allowing the ability for static portals in FF would be the same thing except it would just look cooler right ?

If thats the case then surely its just a question of whether its worth the devs putting time into allowing its use by mappers over whether its worth implementing it this way gameplay wise ? In short - Giving the ability for a class to use portals I concede is a big discussion, but giving mappers the ability to implement portals surely isnt.
The diference is with the newer design, you could pinch 2 spots on the map and make them look like their connected. take a doorway. make 2 boc shaped maps with a door on the wall of each. place them apart from each other. Now link bolth doorways using that portal engine update, and you should be able to see through the doorway right to the other room and go in and out like they are 1 piece of map. no load lag when entering, just flawless movement from 1 to the other.

Old 08-12-2006, 08:32 PM   #20
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidd42
http://users.ox.ac.uk/%7Ebras1644/Penrose.jpg
Now you are thinking with portals
What the hell? Gah! MY MIND IS BLOWN.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
What is hook mod? I have only been in the TFC scene for about eight months.

On top of that, I have an idea of what NeoTF is, but what is Admin Mod?

/hijack
Hook Mod gives players grappling hooks that they can use to access otherwise unreachable areas, or to quickly move around.

NeoTF is a server-side mod that adds new abilities to classes and changes a lot of stuff. Most of it's silly, some of it's neat, and it's really a matter of taste.

AdminMod is a server control mod, that makes administrating servers a lot easier. It adds new commands and cvars that can be used with or without RCON access (which requires a password).