Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-01-2006, 04:58 PM   #1
o_lord asriel

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Open beta server? Release date?

So I understand a beta-thing is coming, and woe to us (or at least, me) "noobish-veterans" who don't know what entities are, and are not "trustworthy" to be beta testers, we obviously won't be.

The question which forms is, is the beta testing time somehow associated with the game's official release date? Eg, a week or month or 2 months after?Or is it a "we know nothing about when this is going to happen" thing again?

Gosh, I misdirected myself into thinking I would play it and now I realised I won't. Bet all I can do with the HL2 now is install it and be sure I log into the first server the first millisecond.

Can't you make an "open beta and crash-for-all-I-care" server for people who are really waiting to get their hands on it but you cant bother their <insert adjective here> opinions on the beta? You stick to your development and we'll be playing even falsely....I'd rather play ff with 90% of the things not working rather playing some <enter disliked game here> anyways.
o_lord asriel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 05:23 PM   #2
o_dancingfool

IBTL.

Edit: I'm going to be nice and take out the comment after IBTL.
o_dancingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 05:51 PM   #3
o_zoe

I think the FF team is concerned about releasing a first beta to the public and then getting 10*(10^100!) brand new threads on the forums describing the same fifty problems. And only 10*(10^100!)-3 of those posts will be by authors who understand the technical aspects enough to actually help narrow the problem down.
o_zoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Asriel
So I understand a beta-thing is coming, and woe to us (or at least, me) "noobish-veterans" who don't know what entities are, and are not "trustworthy" to be beta testers, we obviously won't be.

The question which forms is, is the beta testing time somehow associated with the game's official release date? Eg, a week or month or 2 months after?Or is it a "we know nothing about when this is going to happen" thing again?
Well, sort of, but we don't know what that correlation is Like some folks have mentioned, when the official release happens depends on how quickly we can resolve the bugs that'll undoubtedly come up in beta. Once things slow down for that first group of testers, we'll open up the beta wider. How wide, no one knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Asriel
Can't you make an "open beta and crash-for-all-I-care" server for people who are really waiting to get their hands on it but you cant bother their <insert adjective here> opinions on the beta? You stick to your development and we'll be playing even falsely....I'd rather play ff with 90% of the things not working rather playing some <enter disliked game here> anyways.
We're trying to make a good first impression on folks, many of whom have never seen a TF-style mod at all. People might make premature movies of action, only to claim that it's the real thing and finalized. We want to minimize the possibility of that sort of thing happening (that's just one example). So you won't see an open beta until we're fairly certain the kinks have been worked out.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:18 PM   #5
o_ginger lord

I'm interested in how the FF team are gonna split the beta up and how they go about it. I'm waiting to see what sort of levels it goes in and how well it works out. Mainly so I can use it in HaJ when we get to beta.

Do they start small (say 10-20 people) but all of those are old TF vets that know TF inside out, or do they go half vets, half forum people. Or all forum people. Or maybe 1/4 vets, 1/4 clanners, 1/4 pubbers and 1/4 people that have never played TF.

Then at the next tier which way do they go.

I actually don't know why I just wrote all that, like any of you care.
o_ginger lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 06:33 PM   #6
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
I care.

Old 08-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #7
o_ginger lord

\o/

Old 08-01-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
o_tennovan

Ginger, I love you.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #9
o_dammage

It would be rather interesting to know when the beta squad has been harvested so the database pollution like "minimum number of threads to access beta" and so on stops.
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 07:47 PM   #10
o_ginger lord

Agreed. Its getting rather tiresome now having the same threads pop up every day.

Then again you could write it in size 72 font at the top of each page and people would still ask.

Old 08-01-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
o_ohcanep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dammage
It would be rather interesting to know when the beta squad has been harvested so the database pollution like "minimum number of threads to access beta" and so on stops.
It'd also be fun to know who exactly were the ones chosen when the first round of testing has begun, if that's not what you already said . There'll undoubtedly be a few heroes who claim to have tested it and how they like the new gazelle launcher.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:02 PM   #12
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcanep
It'd also be fun to know who exactly were the ones chosen when the first round of testing has begun, if that's not what you already said . There'll undoubtedly be a few heroes who claim to have tested it and how they like the new gazelle launcher.
Yeah, so we can spam their pm begging for leaks.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
o_ohcanep

Would you? I thought they're going to release an in-game video (when it will out?) anyway.
o_ohcanep is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:27 PM   #14
o_someoldguy

If I were in the devs shoes, I'd not announce any names... even without an NDA. Besides the spamming thing, it would probably piss some of you off as to why person A was chosen instead of yourself.

The ones chosen are likely to be, amongst other qualities:
a) people who can keep their mouths shut,
b) people who will take the time to actually test things they need tested instead of just goofing around,
c) people who can put an intelligent sentence together to aid in debugging and discuss issues,
d) people who might be able to recommend alternate choices/methods/gameplay to aid in any issues that crop up
e) and most importantly, people who are "mature" enough not to brag/gloat about how they were picked and you weren't, if even in jest

There are more things involved, no doubt, but with a closed beta you want people with certain qualities and temperments, with a variety of skill levels and knowledge.

At least that's how I'm guessing it will be done. I could be 100% wrong, too.

My $.0000000002
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:32 PM   #15
o_nuk3m

it comes down to this pretty much, the most worthy people probably wont be in the beta, but either a random array of people chosen from applications submitted to the team... OR whoever looks the hottest in drag!
o_nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:38 PM   #16
o_someoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukem373
it comes down to this pretty much, the most worthy people probably wont be in the beta, but either a random array of people chosen from applications submitted to the team... OR whoever looks the hottest in drag!
... or even better ...

since most (if not all) of the devs are single and geeks, they could just ask for hot rich women who send them money and nude pics of themselves and will agree to meet them for a personal 'interview' and special 'beta testing'.
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 08:40 PM   #17
o_nuk3m

hahahaha thats not nice and im NOT laughahaing.

Old 08-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #18
o_zoe

The FF Beta in 3 stages:
1. Those who can add to the development process
2. Those who will pay a hansome royalty or perform sex acts via webcam
3. Everyone else
o_zoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2006, 09:43 PM   #19
o_nuk3m

hahaha i think you just created an idea for a new thread. random things you have to do to get into the beta no but seriously i dont care ause my system doesnt like source so i cant play any source games.

Old 08-01-2006, 09:58 PM   #20
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohcanep
Would you? I thought they're going to release an in-game video (when it will out?) anyway.
Cynicism > you.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote