Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-22-2006, 10:28 PM   #1
o_own3r

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The Quake series - Learn from this please.

One thing which has struck me looking at ID's quake series, is just how bad the architexture is.

Most of the rooms have pipes almost everywhere, almost making up for the lack of architextural content. Which essentially they only really consists of outward slanting walls, separated in two, with some useless trim shuved in for good measure. Surely this is not something you want to replicate in your maps.

Recently it has struck me how much you can do with hammer, if you "think different" and create something off the wall. I think a focus on wider open spaces in interiors with room to rocket jump, and strategic postions for sg's will really liven up the gameplay of any map.

One thing which i am seeing alot in maps is the flat floors in interiors, why not use displacement maps throughout the map? After all you can place vis blocking floors below. Doing displacement brushes dont have to disrupt player movement either, clip brushes can be placed over bumps etc to allow better concing and offence so go wild!
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 12:07 AM   #2
o_mikequist

I think I am missing something. I understand what you mean about architecture in Quake, but the floor thing can't change IMO. It would be awkward, and despite clips, would disrupt gameplay. That, and since when is your floor bumpy.
o_mikequist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 01:04 AM   #3
o_sidd42

Have to agree with Own3r here. In terms of architecture, mappers are essentially lazy. It's square walls, dressed up with generic props and a few curved edges. It's very rare to see a fundamentally "off-grid" design, because they are far more awkward to deal with. The level designers get paid to churn out maps which are simple, but superfically aesthetically pleasing. There's no reason for them to follow real world architectural rules.

Again, flat floors are so ubiquitous just because they are the easiest to make. Concing is no harder from ramps or gentle slopes. There's no reason why a ff map shouldn't have more realistic architecture. I've been to plenty of historical forts, and you only get large flat floors in the dining halls, and domestic rooms. Fortress architecture should be functional and bumpy.
o_sidd42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 01:36 AM   #4
o_d3pth charge

K, have fun trying to make a map with a curved floor and after you've spend 30 hours just trying to create a non-textured wall that correcly lines up with it without leaks, etc, then feel free to go back to using flat floors. I've been to "fortresses" as well, and can't remember one that had curved or bumpy floors in the interior of the castle. It doesn't happen. It's not just for realism either, it would just be irrational and hinder gameplay to have a bunch of floopy doopy curves and stuff on the floors. I think valve's maps are very immersive for CS:S, yet i see no curvy floors, and imo it's sort of offending to say "mappers are lazy," mapping is hard-ass work, if you don't believe me I suggest you try it. I think the architecture that has been done by devs and community members alike is very impressive, not sure what you are talking about or what you expect from mappers.
o_d3pth charge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 01:45 AM   #5
o_etzell

"Man, this wavy floor you had installed KICKS ASS. OH MY GOD I FELL ON MY FACE AND BROKE MY NOSE, WTF!"
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 02:03 AM   #6
o_kam

pics or it didn't happen

q3 has pretty good architecture btw
o_kam is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 06:49 PM   #7
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell
"Man, this wavy floor you had installed KICKS ASS. OH MY GOD I FELL ON MY FACE AND BROKE MY NOSE, WTF!"
Rofl.

Bumpy floors are bad for games like TFC and Quake, end of story. That is, of course, unless the bumps are there for a reason such as trimping or ramp sliding otherwise a bumpy floor just to make your map look "good" isn't the way to go.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-23-2006, 10:32 PM   #8
o_sh4x

Just wanted to say that I'm actually working on a map that has fucked up architecture...

and I gotta say it's a fucking bitch to complete.

Next time (if there's one), I'll go the simpler way and make things a little more conventionals.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 07:10 PM   #9
o_own3r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
Rofl.

Bumpy floors are bad for games like TFC and Quake, end of story. That is, of course, unless the bumps are there for a reason such as trimping or ramp sliding otherwise a bumpy floor just to make your map look "good" isn't the way to go.
You are all missing the point, you clip the bumps so it is a smooth surface but it appears to be natural and interesting. Quake architexture is unimspired to say the least. Trying to imitate the real world is a good start in my opinion, imitating an imitation is asking for trouble.
o_own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 07:28 PM   #10
o_ghost

So you levitate over the dips?
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-24-2006, 09:42 PM   #11
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Sounds pointless.

Old 03-25-2006, 02:10 AM   #12
o_kam

you dont need the clip brushes anyway

Old 03-25-2006, 10:14 AM   #13
o_nezumi

Is this the kind of thing we're talking about?

I don't like it.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-02-2006, 09:58 PM   #14
o_dammage

to be honest, if going realisting, you will see curved/bumpy floor only in the nature as for movement, even if you clip it, it will be f*ed up to say the least. Ever got arghs about hitting edges with your nose? that's not often. But be warned of psyched players who cannot predict how high their next hop will go.

As for architecture: same as for the floor, you don't want the players to hang on every detail or run against invisible walls. Maybe it makes sense in such games as splinter cell etc, but ever wondered why players play dm6/6++ over and over again?
o_dammage is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2006, 02:40 AM   #15
o_jarek

everytime i read this forum people make me want to take up mapping again by the sheer uniformity of the maps. everyone goes for that central theme of WALLS WITH PIPES AND PRETTY DISPLACED ROCKS in the yard, that i think people are forgetting about THEMED maps all together. i have been sketching something up for FF for some time, and if any of you are Robert Jordan fans i think you will like the two maps i decided on.
o_jarek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2006, 02:59 AM   #16
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

As long as they're not as big as the books themselves. I don't think the Source engine could handle that...
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2006, 03:08 AM   #17
o_tyrus

I agree with "pipes for detail" being just a little over used in mapping. This post made me rethink the detail I "will" be putting in my map. I admit, in my previous maps, I had lots of pipes

As for rocky terrains, well, there isnt much more you can do with terrains. You could stretch it to saying "everyone makes crappy bridges" too. Well, its better than two bases just facing eachother with a flat middle ground, isnt it? You could add all kinds of models and cars and this and that, but then your map gets cluttered. In my opinion, cluttered maps wouldn't suit the fast paced game play of fortress based mods. Although I haven't played it yet, Cornfield is a good example of this. I have a strange feeling that map is not going to be very fun to play. It looks great, but eye candy doesn't make for a good map.(in my opinion) All their other maps, however, look great and I think they will also play great. I can't wait for FF!

One thing I have noticed about most Fortress type maps is, ALL of them are symmetrical along some axis. Red base is always the same as the blue base, but maybe flipped. Although my map is still symmetrical, I'd like to see a map where each base is totally different. Blue may have some advantages and red may have some advantages! That may sound bad, but that would enable very interesting match play. Especially since in my experience, most matches are more than 1 round long, and usually you switch colors. So both teams will get to have those certain colore based advantages on their side.

There are some asymmetrical maps out there, but usually their game play is NOT capture the flag. They usually have some other type of objective like an assault map.

A really creative of which I forget the name, had a great idea for capture the flag. Each time the other team captured your flag, the flag moved to another spot in your base. Thus your team's defense would have to all relocate and get setup. There were about 6 different flag positions.

wow, I'm rambling, and I'll stop now

Last edited by o_tyrus; 04-03-2006 at 03:19 AM.
o_tyrus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2006, 03:19 AM   #18
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Darkness was asymmetrical. Was never a huge fan of it, though.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-03-2006, 03:57 AM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
And casbah.

Old 04-03-2006, 05:10 AM   #20
o_kam

darkness looks like someone took a dump in hammer and compiled it