Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 11-09-2005, 05:38 AM   #1
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Kansas - the laughing stock of america

Looks like the hicks in kansas have once again bought ridicule on America. Sending education back 200 years.

Quote:
Risking the kind of nationwide ridicule it faced six years ago, the Kansas Board of Education approved new public-school science standards Tuesday that cast doubt on the theory of evolution.

The 6-4 vote was a victory for "intelligent design" advocates who helped draft the standards. Intelligent design holds that the universe is so complex that it must have been created by a higher power.

Critics of the new language charged that it was an attempt to inject God and creationism into public schools, in violation of the constitutional ban on state establishment of religion.

All six of those who voted for the new standards were Republicans. Two Republicans and two Democrats voted no.

In addition, the board rewrote the definition of science, so that it is no longer limited to the search for natural explanations of phenomena.
http://msnbc.msn.com/id/9967813/
o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2005, 06:15 AM   #2
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
*sighs

Look, there's already a school that teaches creationism. IT'S CALLED CHURCH.

Fuckin' morons. I hereby demand that churches teach Darwinism as well.

Old 11-09-2005, 08:19 AM   #3
o_jinx

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I hereby demand that churches teach Darwinism as well.
EXACTLY
o_jinx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #4
o_salty milkshake

I wish I could make those daft fucks read this:

It partly looks at all the arguments for creationism and makes them look very silly. It's an excellent read, very entertaining, all good bookshops etc..

Or if that's too much like hard work then it's time for:
www.venganza.org
o_salty milkshake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #5
o_coldy

Intelligent design, stupid theory.
o_coldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-09-2005, 12:53 PM   #6
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I am the only being super enough to have created the universe.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:16 AM   #7
o_jefferino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I am the only being super enough to have created the universe.
You mean your mom....
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:40 AM   #8
o_backstaber

And all you guys do is ridicule it. Religion is actully needed in culture, want to know why? It teaches morals, which seems to have suddenly gone missing after people started to attack the christain religion. Without morals in a society, the society eventually falls apart because people no longer want to follow rules or laws. After that, people begin to attack marriage, by introducing (gay marriage) is destroys the whole meaning of marriage. THe meaning of marriage is to make a fimily by having children. If your not going to produce children of your own, then whats the point? To tell the truth, I actully see this as a positive thing to have happened in Kansas, because it just seems like people are attempting to erase religion from everyones life. Now I know I'll be flammed for saying this, for sure I know I will. But I'm only making a true statement and I don't really need to say much more.
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:44 AM   #9
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber
And all you guys do is ridicule it. Religion is actully needed in culture, want to know why? It teaches morals, which seems to have suddenly gone missing after people started to attack the christain religion. Without morals in a society, the society eventually falls apart because people no longer want to follow rules or laws. After that, people begin to attack marriage, by introducing (gay marriage) is destroys the whole meaning of marriage. THe meaning of marriage is to make a fimily by having children. If your not going to produce children of your own, then whats the point? To tell the truth, I actully see this as a positive thing to have happened in Kansas, because it just seems like people are attempting to erase religion from everyones life. Now I know I'll be flammed for saying this, for sure I know I will. But I'm only making a true statement and I don't really need to say much more.
In before the flames. Amen. You're not alone man.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:49 AM   #10
o_deadly furby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber
There was a time when religion did rule the known world. It's known as the dark ages.
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:50 AM   #11
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Also, before the flames: Please don't flame. Only you can prevent forum fires.

That is all
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 02:51 AM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
You want religion, go to church. You want theories, principles, and science, go to school.

School isn't stopping kids from going to church, and it's not saying the Bible is wrong (explicitly). Darwin isn't teaching immorality, either. You act like without creationism in schools, all religion is suddenly gone. Null and void. And you want others to have faith?

And while I know I can't extend this to others, necessarily, I can firmly assert that, entirely sans-religion, I'm a decent, moral human being, albeit the occasional dickhead (we all have our days).

And who says marriage is only for having children? Why can't it be something else - a bond between two (or more, if you're into polygamy) people who truly love each other? Why've you gotta be so narrow about it; denying other people their happiness? Seems kinda rude. Where's the loving your fellow man stuff gone? When did it become "Love your fellow man; unless he's queer. Then you probably ought to burn him, or something. Whatever you do, don't let him get married"? So ambiguous, this religion stuff.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:57 AM   #13
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
You want religion, go to church. You want theories, principles, and science, go to school.

School isn't stopping kids from going to church, and it's not saying the Bible is wrong (explicitly). Darwin isn't teaching immorality, either. You act like without creationism in schools, all religion is suddenly gone. Null and void. And you want others to have faith?

And while I know I can't extend this to others, necessarily, I can firmly assert that, entirely sans-religion, I'm a decent, moral human being, albeit the occasional dickhead (we all have our days).

And who says marriage is only for having children? Why can't it be something else - a bond between two (or more, if you're into polygamy) people who truly love each other? Why've you gotta be so narrow about it; denying other people their happiness? Seems kinda rude. Where's the loving your fellow man stuff gone? When did it become "Love your fellow man; unless he's queer. Then you probably ought to burn him, or something. Whatever you do, don't let him get married"? So ambiguous, this religion stuff.
I think you're reading your personal slant into what he was trying to say. I think that the theory of ID stacks up just as well as Evolution.

Old 11-10-2005, 02:59 AM   #14
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Whether or not it stacks up is irrelevant, the point is, it's already being taught in public forums across the nation. Schools don't need to carry it. Any child looking for another opinion on our origin can walk into any church of Christian faith (or any of its infinite offshoots) and learn about the 7 Days business.

I don't see Mt. Sinai up the road preaching Darwinism, so I don't see why schools should have to teach intelligent design.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:01 AM   #15
o_backstaber

Yeah, he did add his little personal slant into it, thats why I pretty mcuh give up on debating. I give my point, and I'm out of it, all they do is twist my words afterwards anyways ...
o_backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-10-2005, 03:02 AM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Fine, let me make this statement, devoid of personal slant and with no regard whatsoever to my opinion on the creation of this or any world:

Unless churches teach Darwinism, schools don't have to teach creationism.

That's just fair.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:05 AM   #17
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

The difference is that the schools are Gov't run and churches are private. Presently the religion of secularism dominates the schools. It's only fair that the theories that encompass another perspectives be taught as well. For balance after all.

School and church are not equivalents or opposite sides of a coin.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:09 AM   #18
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
It's only fair that the theories that encompass another perspectives be taught as well. For balance after all.
Okay, and how does that refute my point that Darwinism should be taught in church? We want it to be balanced, right? Churches could just stop teaching creatonism altogether, that'd be fair, I guess.

Also, should we expect schools to hold classes on other forms of creationist theory? Will we have one teaching about the Titans? And the birth of the Gods? (Well, I guess they do that in middle school English.) I'm not versed in other religions, so I'm afraid I can't mention any other creationist theories, although countless exist, I'm sure. So, do we save a place for them? Or should they fall by the wayside because the parents didn't petition enough? That seems unfair, doesn't it?

Old 11-10-2005, 03:11 AM   #19
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
It's only fair that the theories that encompass another perspectives be taught as well. For balance after all.
Okay, and how does that refute my point that Darwinism should be taught in church? We want it to be balanced, right? Churches could just stop teaching creatonism altogether, that'd be fair, I guess.

Also, should we expect schools to hold classes on other forms of creationist theory? Will we have one teaching about the Titans? And the birth of the Gods? (Well, I guess they do that in middle school English.) I'm not versed in other religions, so I'm afraid I can't mention any other creationist theories, although countless exist, I'm sure. So, do we save a place for them? Or should they fall by the wayside because the parents didn't petition enough? That seems unfair, doesn't it?
Bottom line is that schools are public/gov't controlled and churches are private. Nice to see that you did not quote that part.

Old 11-10-2005, 03:16 AM   #20
o_cudweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Only you can prevent forum fires.

hahaha.
o_cudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote