Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-28-2008, 10:57 PM   #1
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Anybody in networking here?

Had a bit of an inspirational moment this weekend...

I've been out of school for a few months now. Not finished, just out of it - I got dropped from all my classes due to attendance last quarter, and used the resulting temporary expulsion to clear my head and take a quarter off. (The attendance is due to the issue mentioned in the next paragraph, if you're curious and impatient.) Now the time has come to put in the call and let them know if I want to come back.

I was originally going for Multimedia - you probably know by now I'm something of an artist, and graphic design was always a fun hobby for me. Unfortunately, I've learned quite decidedly that doing it as anything more than a hobby is aggravating in ways I can't describe. As such, I'm not wanting to continue with Multimedia if I don't have to.

This past weekend, however, I had something of a breakthrough. We have three computers downstairs, and one computer and one digital phone box upstairs. Our router, unfortunately, only had four ports. So, whenever my friend came over with his computer (the third one downstairs), one of the three of us had to go without internet access.

Finally, we decided to buy another router to serve as the downstairs hub. We unpackage it, start hooking it up, and quickly find we really have no idea what we're doing.

Mind you, this thread is not a request for assistance with the aforementioned issue.

After some hmm'ing and haw'ing I finally decide to give tech support a ring. I end up with a very helpful woman who walks me through the entire process of setting up the second router in such a way that it doesn't try and determine IP addresses and merely connects more computers to an existing network. Lo and behold, it all works marvelously and we immediately commence to 3-player Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Now, during this process of figuring out how to get the network to function, and being walked through all the steps and finding that I knew how to do all of it, I realized something... I was actually enjoying this. I've been giving it some thought since that moment, and I've decided that, if I go back to school next quarter, I want to give networking a go.

I currently know enough about networking as a whole to keep my home network and the network at work (AutoZone) running. It ain't perfect, but it's fully functional 99% of the time and I'm pretty happy with that. I usually enjoy troubleshooting it when something comes up, and I usually know how to fix a given problem when it appears, so I think I'd really like to learn more about it and maybe take a stab at doing it professionally.

So, here's my question to anybody here currently in the field: would you recommend it? What, really, is involved with an average job in the field? What's the pay like? Do you enjoy it? Even if you're not in the field, but know something about it, any sort of information would be great.

I plan on calling within the next few days, as it happens. No rush.

Old 04-29-2008, 12:19 AM   #2
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
What's your objective Circ? A well paid position? If so, then focus on the high end ...Cisco. Though if making good money is your objective in IT then focus on databases (Oracle, SQL, Jet, etc)...if you can stomach that type of work. You also see the better salaries, NOW, for those who can code .net, PHP and other object oriented stuff. As to what's hot in your area...that's going to depend...

Basic networking stuff is the lower end of pay in my area and we're not sophisticated by any stretch of the imagination.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 01:45 AM   #3
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I don't care if the money's all that great. Enough to live on is fine by me.

Hell, just thinking off the top of my head of all the friends and relatives I've helped get networks set up for... I could just start up locally by myself as a side job and make a little extra scratch now and then. There's a local computer store without much in the way of networking as it stands.

I'm not overly fond of coding, although I can handle PHP fairly well...

Still, making money isn't exactly my objective. I want to find something I enjoy doing, and so far networking looks like fun for me. Not sure why, but... it does.

Old 04-29-2008, 02:24 AM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I don't care if the money's all that great. Enough to live on is fine by me.

Hell, just thinking off the top of my head of all the friends and relatives I've helped get networks set up for... I could just start up locally by myself as a side job and make a little extra scratch now and then. There's a local computer store without much in the way of networking as it stands.

I'm not overly fond of coding, although I can handle PHP fairly well...

Still, making money isn't exactly my objective. I want to find something I enjoy doing, and so far networking looks like fun for me. Not sure why, but... it does.
Get your basics then. Focus on the fundamentals as if you decide down the road to progress you'll be better served by a sound foundation in the principles of networking.

Old 04-29-2008, 04:53 AM   #5
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I'm majoring in networking and security.
I used to be in computer science but I HATE programing.
I've been told there is good job security in the networking and security field. Attacks are only getting worse. As more networks get compromised, the more people are looking for people who can build, run, and maintain a good, secure network.

But Circ, do what ever you like to do. That's the most important thing. If you like networking, go with your gut. The worse choice is to go where the money is at. Because 20 years from now you'll have lots of cash but you still have to wake up every day to work a shit-job you hate.

Old 04-29-2008, 06:58 AM   #6
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Start out with a few certifications. Get your A+ Hardware and A+ Software. Then get the Network+ Certification. That will give you a good foundation from which to build.

Old 04-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Circ you and I have to talk on AIM sometime soon.

As for the IT field, well... good IT people are treated like Gods. People praise you when things work right and you incur their wrath when things go wrong. Many businesses have only one IT guys, so everything's on your shoulders.

Since you work at Autozone, let me give you an example. Let's say for some reason you're one of two guys watching the store at the moment and you're the senior guy. A guy walks in with his three idiot kids who promptly start tearing things off the shelves and generally screwing around. Of course, being the senior guy, this is your job to handle - not to mention the cleanup and explanation to management.

Now multiply that scenario by 10 and you'll know what it's like to work in IT. Yes, you get to do nice things like config routers and the like. You also have to clean up employee's fuckups, and boy howdy will employees fuck up a lot. I've read some IT horror stories, from the ridiculously incompetent to the downright idiotic. An example? A woman calls IT stating that her computer isn't working. The reason? There is no computer. She only has a monitor and peripherals on her desk. This is how smart these people are, and it's your job to babysit them.

Also remember, IT might mean to you "Config routers and keep the network running", but to the employees it means "THIS WINDOW POPPED UP SAID MY COMPUTER IS BROADCASTING AN IP ADDRESS WHAT DO I DO CIRC?!".

I'd say your first step in training would be to work in a zoo (preferably monkey cage) or corrections for a few months or so. That will train you to deal with a bunch of people who keep throwing shit your way (metophorical or otherwise).

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 11:06 AM   #8
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Annoying people since 1986

Class/Position: O fatty, pyro - D engy, pyro
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: This space for rent.
Send a message via MSN to פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ
Nice to see you found your "thing", now what I do advice you is: When you graduate in networking DO NOT APPLY FOR A TECH HELPDSEK JOB.

I lasted 6 months, then I quit.
פֿяαιп βαмαgεפ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 12:47 PM   #9
DarkeN_HellspawN
FORUM ADM!N

Class/Position: O/D D/O - For life or death
Gametype: 2fort Spectating Llama GD Ex. TALOS Sniper
Affiliations: FF God, The Yellow Brotherhood
Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
HELL YEAH I AM INTO NETWORKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been only talking about it for like all the time. Hit me up. Circ. Thats what I do mang. I work at a fortune 500 corp as a network admin. I went to school for computer and moved out of programming since it was boring most of the time and unchallenging. Their is one thing in the IT field that has to be known. You have to be well versed in everything you can. If you just pick one specific aspect it is hard to get hired.

I thus have had schooling and experience in databases creation\admin, WAN\LAN\WLAN\OS\IDS Security. Programming, maintenance and design, Windows Administration, Server Hardware Administration, Server Virtualization, Driver Creation. I can do every position in IT which makes me more marketable then someone who specializes in Exchange Administration. CISCO is the way to go but ONLY IF YOU PLAN ON WORKING WITH CISCO STUFF!!!! Cisco does own most of the switching and routing infrastructure but CISCO certs do not mean anything to someone who uses Juniper switches and routers. Here are a list of Certs that are a plus AND A MUST NEED!!!!

A+ - Basic - Good (half hardware - half OS)
Net+ - Basic - Good
Server+ - Mid Level - Good
Security+ - Mid-High Level - VERY GOOD AND A MUST
CCNA - Mid Level - Very Good
MCP, MCSA, MCSE - Microsoft has a total revamp on their certs but all in all very good for the value. $125 a test.

You need to know LDAP since most domain authentication uses it such as Microsofts Active Directory.

dh

dh

Last edited by DarkeN_HellspawN; 04-29-2008 at 12:59 PM.
DarkeN_HellspawN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 04:47 PM   #10
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I just got transfered in my company to the IT department. And boy let me tell you, setting up home and personal networks and maintaining them is probably the easiest thing to do for networking out there. I could do that no problem, reason: It's your own shit, you don't worry if/when you fuck up. (also buying a hub would have instantly fixed your problem above and probably been cheaper with no hassle heh)

I took computer programming in college years ago and finally got back into the field. There's soo much to learn and catch up on, my boss even talks about learning the fundementals of electronics, and bit programming (something most schools will only touch on briefly). He's given me a year and a half to catch up, it's very overwhelming and I've only just scratched the surface.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Quote:
So, here's my question to anybody here currently in the field: would you recommend it? What, really, is involved with an average job in the field? What's the pay like? Do you enjoy it? Even if you're not in the field, but know something about it, any sort of information would be great.
Yes I would recommend it, ESPECIALLY if you like it and have some basic understanding of what the tech was actually doing on the phone. There are different level as with any thing in life, do what you like otherwise that new car doesn't do much if you HATE going to work. Pay can range from 35 to 300k depending on what you are doing. But you are more likely looking at 35 to 50k for most positions with maybe 50-70k in 5 years depending on location size of company and most importantly YOU. Do I enjoy it? Yes, probably because it's challenging versus mundane for me. Plus if you ever see my on FF.... do I look happy killing all of you?
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2008, 12:40 AM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Get your basics then. Focus on the fundamentals as if you decide down the road to progress you'll be better served by a sound foundation in the principles of networking.
*nod*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4est
Start out with a few certifications. Get your A+ Hardware and A+ Software. Then get the Network+ Certification. That will give you a good foundation from which to build.
Start out, as in, don't bother with the schooling? Or once I'm out of the gate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
Since you work at Autozone, let me give you an example. Let's say for some reason you're one of two guys watching the store at the moment and you're the senior guy. A guy walks in with his three idiot kids who promptly start tearing things off the shelves and generally screwing around. Of course, being the senior guy, this is your job to handle - not to mention the cleanup and explanation to management.
That only happened once, and when people see the pikes outside the front door they think twice.

I think I can apply this same principle to IT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkeN_HellspawN
I have been only talking about it for like all the time. Hit me up. Circ. Thats what I do mang. I work at a fortune 500 corp as a network admin. I went to school for computer and moved out of programming since it was boring most of the time and unchallenging. Their is one thing in the IT field that has to be known. You have to be well versed in everything you can. If you just pick one specific aspect it is hard to get hired.

I thus have had schooling and experience in databases creation\admin, WAN\LAN\WLAN\OS\IDS Security. Programming, maintenance and design, Windows Administration, Server Hardware Administration, Server Virtualization, Driver Creation. I can do every position in IT which makes me more marketable then someone who specializes in Exchange Administration. CISCO is the way to go but ONLY IF YOU PLAN ON WORKING WITH CISCO STUFF!!!! Cisco does own most of the switching and routing infrastructure but CISCO certs do not mean anything to someone who uses Juniper switches and routers. Here are a list of Certs that are a plus AND A MUST NEED!!!!

A+ - Basic - Good (half hardware - half OS)
Net+ - Basic - Good
Server+ - Mid Level - Good
Security+ - Mid-High Level - VERY GOOD AND A MUST
CCNA - Mid Level - Very Good
MCP, MCSA, MCSE - Microsoft has a total revamp on their certs but all in all very good for the value. $125 a test.

You need to know LDAP since most domain authentication uses it such as Microsofts Active Directory.

dh

dh
We'll have to have some discussions, then!

It's a good thing I think you're awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkullBash
Yes I would recommend it, ESPECIALLY if you like it and have some basic understanding of what the tech was actually doing on the phone. There are different level as with any thing in life, do what you like otherwise that new car doesn't do much if you HATE going to work. Pay can range from 35 to 300k depending on what you are doing. But you are more likely looking at 35 to 50k for most positions with maybe 50-70k in 5 years depending on location size of company and most importantly YOU. Do I enjoy it? Yes, probably because it's challenging versus mundane for me. Plus if you ever see my on FF.... do I look happy killing all of you?
No, you don't re-- oh! Ohhh-ho-ho! Well played, sir!

Old 04-30-2008, 02:36 AM   #13
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Relevant: http://it.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...17224&from=rss

Old 04-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #14
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Lots of you mentioned Certs. Are they really worth it?

Old 04-30-2008, 05:54 AM   #15
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

There's about half a dozen jobs I was rejected for because I didn't have my A+ cert, so I'd say yes.

Old 04-30-2008, 06:20 AM   #16
battery
D&A Member

Circuitous, assuming that you are still younger than 25, and you haven't had a college ed, you really want to skip all those technical areas and focus on getting a basic education. It doesn't matter if it is philosophy, business, engineering, finance, arts, letters, economics, and social studies. A basic college education, which lasts around 4 years, is far superior than 2-3 years of technical training in A+, Net+.

Technical knowledge takes a long time to acquire, and it can become out-of-date rapidly. While a good student can sharpen his reasoning skills by studying networking and computer architecture in depth, college education is the easier route to become smart. College courses focus on communication, theories, and critical thinking. Technical certification courses focus on knowledge mostly.

With the same amount of $ and time, I'd say go thru college. College life is both productive and enjoyable. It's a better deal for your $$, as long as you don't get to hung up with weed.
________
HAIR PROBLEMS ADVICE

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:47 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2008, 09:59 AM   #17
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammock
my boss even talks about learning the fundementals of electronics, and bit programming (something most schools will only touch on briefly). He's given me a year and a half to catch up, it's very overwhelming and I've only just scratched the surface.
i'll second the knowledge of basic electronics, though advanced electronics would also help. at the end of the day, learning about DC systems alone wont help you with finding the reasons why having 50km of copper cable is a bad idea.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-2008, 09:10 PM   #18
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
Circuitous, assuming that you are still younger than 25, and you haven't had a college ed, you really want to skip all those technical areas and focus on getting a basic education. It doesn't matter if it is philosophy, business, engineering, finance, arts, letters, economics, and social studies. A basic college education, which lasts around 4 years, is far superior than 2-3 years of technical training in A+, Net+.

Technical knowledge takes a long time to acquire, and it can become out-of-date rapidly. While a good student can sharpen his reasoning skills by studying networking and computer architecture in depth, college education is the easier route to become smart. College courses focus on communication, theories, and critical thinking. Technical certification courses focus on knowledge mostly.

With the same amount of $ and time, I'd say go thru college. College life is both productive and enjoyable. It's a better deal for your $$, as long as you don't get to hung up with weed.
I don't need to, ah, "become smart."

Really. That part is thoroughly handled.

I'm so ridiculously tired of general education. That's why my attendance was so shitty last quarter - it as all gen ed. So I'd say fuck it and phone it in, when I attended at all. The same shit I'd been doing since my first year of high school, except this time, it was college! Oh boy!

Seriously, college hasn't offered me anything worth my time except technical knowledge. That's why I went to tech school in the first place. Skip the general shit, everything I already knew yet couldn't be given a chance to prove, and get to the nitty-gritty and on my way. What, employers want a 20-page dissertation on some inane subject for me to qualify for employment? Easily done. That's not the poooooiiiiiint~. Tell me what I don't know, don't waste four years "refining" what I've had a solid lock on since age ten.

i r samrt aredy kthxbye

@merv and whoever: yeah they offer electronics courses as a part of the networking curriculum, if I'm not mistaken.

And if it's not part of the curriculum, well, they're there. I can go "hey gimme a basic electronics course or two" and they'll be like "give us money" and I'll be like "learning GET!"

Old 04-30-2008, 09:13 PM   #19
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

The benefit of getting the degree to back up networking won't be beneficial now....it will be beneficial in 15 years...if you find yourself looking for work the degree will get you in the door...the experience, certifications and accomplishments will be what gets you hired.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:49 PM   #20
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Certs first degree later, degree first certs later?

Degree and certs simultaneously?