Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 03-15-2008, 01:43 AM   #1
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Engineer or Sniper
Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Considering building a MAME cabinet

Alright, as the thread title implies, after reading up on the subject, I am considering building a homemade MAME cabinet. I just love old school gaming, and to be able to play classics such Donkey Kong, Pac Man, Galaga, and Street Fighter 2 (that would be a blast with friends) the way they were meant to be played is irrisistable.

I already have the PC Hardware (my Dad builds and fixes PCs, so we have some decent parts lying around, and an old PC thats running Windows 98. It is pretty much completely reverted to it's original state, if Rifle lets me use it, since it's really his. I know emulation takes more power than the original game, but I ran MAME perfectly fine years ago on an old PC similar to this one, so I am going to go out on to a limb and assume I am fine.)

So, the part that concerns me the most is the cost, and the woodworking involved.

I want some decent joy sticks, at least two sets of stick + buttons, and if we could somehow fit two other joy sticks into this, for games such as The Simpsons or TMNT, that's fine by me! A trackball, while it would be nice, is, due to constraints, really not needed.

Now, I can't pay some 100-200 bucks for an XArcade stick (Yea, I know, I'm being picky here, but I'm 15.) So, I was hoping to be able to wire my own. I think I remember seeing a few guides on how to do so online, using special cards that can translate the wiring into something that MAME can understand. I've looked online, buttons are like 2- 2.50 a button, so I am going to see. I also heard that you can solder an old keyboard to the controls to use them.
If wiring my own isn't too feasible as I think it to be (which I have a strong feeling is the case), what are some cheap alternatives to an XArcade stick, if any?

Alright, so what I mean to ask is, does anyone have any experience on the subject, and can give me some advice? Today was the last day before spring break, so now would be a great time to start a project such as this, that's why I'm asking now. Again, I'm only considering it, I want to see if everything can work out before I undertake something this big. Not to mention I want the approval of my parents before I do anything.

Last edited by SizeableSSonic; 03-16-2008 at 05:04 PM.
SizeableSSonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 01:51 AM   #2
Suite307

I think this should be in the tech forums
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 04:27 AM   #3
-=Roland=-

http://www.happcontrols.com/pc/pc.htm
They make probably 90% of the parts in the X-Arcade. They used to have a control panel available too, but I couldn't find it at the moment.

Wiring the Joysticks/Buttons/Trackball isn't the hard part, it's actually very easy. The hard part is interfacing those parts to the PC. There are a lot of sites with instructions/plans on how to do this. The site I linked above has an interface already made with wiring harness, but it's like $185.00.

I'm a Arcade Game Tech by trade, so give a yell if you need some pointers. Good luck with the project.
-=Roland=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 10:21 AM   #4
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Shoryuken.com has some excellent information on arcade sticks (primarily for fighting games, but if they work for those they'll work for anything), including leads on custom parts and tutorials on making or ordering your own.

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=132452

Old 03-15-2008, 11:35 AM   #5
cownaetion
Wizard of Milk

Send a message via ICQ to cownaetion Send a message via AIM to cownaetion Send a message via MSN to cownaetion Send a message via Yahoo to cownaetion
http://chris.polymathic.net/cabinet/

I've been wanting to do it but just have no time as well. I want to build a cocktail arcade game first though, so much more appeal to me Also I forget where, I have it bookmarked, you can order a arcade cabinet with like 12 classic games in it from Contra to Castlevania for $400 (that was with shipping I think). So you could always order that and then strip it if you wanted to save yourself the hassle, that's what I may do since I'm always stripped for time.
cownaetion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Send a message via AIM to SizeableSSonic Send a message via MSN to SizeableSSonic
Thanks for the help. I'm looking through them some more, and seeing what I could do.

Although the Shoryuken link gives me a datatabase error...

Old 03-15-2008, 06:51 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
If you're going to do it, do it right. Don't skimp on parts. You can also check with the people on AtariAge.com, I believe a few of them have already built MAME cabs. I was considering doing one myself, but I have nowhere to work, and nowhere to put it.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2008, 09:53 PM   #8
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by SizeableSSonic
Thanks for the help. I'm looking through them some more, and seeing what I could do.

Although the Shoryuken link gives me a datatabase error...
Just checked it, should be working now... it's a pretty busy forum, though, it could've gone down for a bit.

Old 03-16-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Yea, it's working now. Thanks.

I also just realised I have two console arcade sticks. One's for the SNES, the other is part of this Mad Catz fighting / flight stick hybrid. The thing is, while I'm not sure if the buttons are the same size, I know the actual sticks are not identical... I'd like them to look the same, so they would look nice.

EDIT: Nope, never mind, the buttons don't match either.

Well, right now, I'm looking on EBay for the actual parts, and I'm finding some pretty good deals... Entire sets of two joysticks, 6/8 buttons each, and 1 and 2 player starts buttons for about 30 dollars. What I have seen so far look in good enough condition. Should I keep looking through there? I also found an XArcade stick starting at 10.50-, and the seller has a good feedback score. If I can get it low, should I, or still go with a hand-wired solution?

Last edited by SizeableSSonic; 03-16-2008 at 05:05 PM.

Old 03-16-2008, 03:14 AM   #10
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
My dad built one. The first time he did it he ripped a part of keyboard and wired it to the controls. The 2nd time he bought some card.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2008, 03:29 AM   #11
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Would you happen to know what kind of card?

Anyway, here's some of the sets I'm looking at:

I like #1, it has both the classic red ball top look, but is shaped in the way of a fighting stick.

Last edited by SizeableSSonic; 03-16-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Old 03-17-2008, 11:48 AM   #12
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I have often wanted to build a MAME cabinet.

I have the blue prints somewhere.

I think a 22" flat screen would be easier to use than a CRT or TV.

You don't need a graphics card for it, as far as I know.

It's all CPU+RAM based. Get super low latency DDR2 if you can.
s0undch4s3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2008, 03:08 PM   #13
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Yea, I just did some more research, and while I DO have enough RAM in ye olde PC, it's 1.2 GHZ Processor might not quite do (especially for some of the higher end 2D fighters.) it used to have a 2.4 GHz processor, but it burned out. I'll have to see if we can send it back in, and then overclock it a bit.

Oh, and if I ever get it done, I'll see if I can make some FF Marrique (I know I screwed up the spelling of that) art to take a few pictures of before I put the final art in.

Old 03-17-2008, 05:09 PM   #14
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
you've posted like 4 grandiose ideas since you have been here but not acted on one. will this be different? do it!
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-17-2008, 07:50 PM   #15
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

This time, I'm doing my research BEFORE I act, not after.

There's also another slight possibility for me: The last time I visited a relative of mine in Jersey, the arcade in her apartment complex had an old, unusable Marvel Vs Capcom (or something similar) machine. The PCB and monitor were completely trashed, but the control panel and cabinet were in fine condition. This was a while ago though, but if they still have it, maybe they'll let us just take it off their hands, since the actual game's PCB is totally trashed...

Old 03-17-2008, 11:49 PM   #16
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

I tried running the newer KoF fighters (like, up to 2002) on a 2.2GHz processor. Wasn't pretty.

Old 03-18-2008, 01:10 AM   #17
SizeableSSonic
Joystick Junkie
D&A Member

Well, this one guide recommended 2.8 GHz, and I suppose I could overclock a 2.4 GHz to at least 3.0. How long ago was this? MAME may have had some improvements since then. The only higher end 2D Fighter I want to run is Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.The Only other high end games I want to run are Neo Geo games (Metal Slug FTW!)

Last edited by SizeableSSonic; 03-18-2008 at 01:51 AM.

Old 03-18-2008, 03:25 AM   #18
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I was able to run MVC2 and all metal slugs at their fullest capabilities with the latest version of MAME on a 2.8GHZ with a Radeon 9800 Pro and 2 gigs of ram. No slowdowns unless the game itself had slowdowns (metal slug, for example). 3d fighters didn't go very well, though.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

You got MvC2 running on Mame? Where'd you get the Naomi BIOS? I had to resort to NullDC.

Old 03-18-2008, 04:30 AM   #20
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
You got MvC2 running on Mame? Where'd you get the Naomi BIOS? I had to resort to NullDC.
On a website. This was pretty recently. Am I allowed to link stuff like that here as I have a link for it.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote