Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #1
o_fallacy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Xbox 360

The picture of the next Xbox leaked out a couple days ago. Here it is if you havn't seen it already.

http://gaming.engadget.com/entry/1234000293041091/

I think it's pretty nice looking, and if you wondering were the controller ports are, the controllers are all wireless.
o_fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 08:59 PM   #2
o_cudweiser

Saw this a couple days ago on IGN...is it suppose to look photoshopped? I kind of hope it is...because the lettering for the 'XBOX 360' looks dumb as hell.

It also looks like there is only one controller port?
o_cudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #3
o_fallacy

Yeah, it might be fake, alot of people are saying it is. But the final one might not be exactly like it, but pretty close. And yeah that font is lame.
o_fallacy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-24-2005, 09:07 PM   #4
o_sobe green

I liked the black look. Hooray for custom design!
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 01:17 AM   #5
o_jefferino

Someone please fill me in on how to make a wireless controller with no ports? Like the ones we have for our consoles you have to put a signal thingy on the port so it knows which controller is which. How is the xbox going to recognize which person is player 1, 2, 3 or 4 if you just go ahead and buy a wireless controller without having ti put anything into the machine to connect it. If it is possible to make an xbox without any ports that's awsome.
o_jefferino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 01:54 AM   #6
o_voipme

The wireless controllers rely on short range radio waves, and don't need an input space showing. The receivers and transmitters can be embedded inside of the controllers and the xbox, allowing for a sleeker, sexier look. This also means that the max number of controller can possibly be greater than 4. Not sure what the max could be.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 03:02 AM   #7
o_mooga

It doesn't look real at all. One thing is that there is no chance in hell that the new XBox will be WHITE. M$ hates Apple over the iPod, why would they make a pure white system? (and yes, I know that the iPod isn't the only while computer prduct on the market but the point is it's not going to be white) Also, what's with a HUGE power button? And another, it likes like it stands on it's side like a PS2. Why would they do that?

Now there is a chance that this is the real deal. But I would be suprized mainly BC the Xbox is know as a HUGE black box. Changing to a small white one seems like a crazy move to me.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 03:29 AM   #8
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

All the sites I have read said it will be white, so it probably will be. I certainly think MS would like to get away from the whole "huge box" look, since it endured no end of jokes because of that. I expect the color change is for a similar reason - after all, they're calling it XBOX 360, and not XBOX 2.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 03:41 AM   #9
o_sobe green

Also when you say "But Apple does it, why would Microsoft do it?" "Why make it sit on its side like the PS2 (and probably 3)" "Why call it the Xbox 360?"

Short answer: Microsoft is cocky and likes to show off.

Shorter answer: Because they can.

Shortest answer: Mono-poly

I'll definately buy a 360. But I still remain intent on calling it Xbox Next.

Old 04-25-2005, 03:41 AM   #10
o_binarylife

Apple iPOD's come in many colors.

Microsoft wouldn't base a desing of their product on not beging the same color as any Apple/MAC ever made or they wouldn't be able to make anything. Bill Gates hates Macs, not necesarily the entire company. Bill Gates as very little to do with the XBox. He writes checks, and he cashes them, that's really about all he does these days.

It is clearly an actualy unit. Whether or not this unit is an Xbox remains to be seen to any 100% definition. However, it is known that 3 designs will be used. A basic one without many extended features, a middle ground one which will have the same features that the current XBoxes have, and a third will be just like a mini-computer.

Which version this will be is unknown, ever with 3 total and seperate designs there is a little more of a twist involved.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 05:56 AM   #11
o_sobe green

Also I may point you here:

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/...s_6122804.html

There are two topics in there concerning the next Xbox and an interesting one about Nintendo's upcoming console.

Do these two pictures look different?

Old 04-25-2005, 06:37 AM   #12
o_cudweiser

Heres a larger picture of the so-called XBOX 360.

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...2112108556.jpg
o_cudweiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 08:58 AM   #13
o_thedarkone

You went to IGN and still didn't post the larger version? :P

http://xboxmedia.ign.com/xbox/image/...2071730404.jpg

And note that this image is a render. I'll believe it when I see an actual picture of the thing.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 12:53 PM   #14
o_cruor

Yuck butt ugly...

I'll stick to my PC thank you very much...
o_cruor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 01:58 PM   #15
o_link

Its a render from the final design doc, which is why it looks like a fake, however, I'm sure I read somewhere that it has been confirmed.

tbh, the only info I'm really interested in are the specs and RRP. It can look like a sack full of turds as long as its fast and cheap(ish)
o_link is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 02:05 PM   #16
o_frenchtoast

No matter how goodlooking/ugly a console is, I won't bother to invest my money in it. Why on earth would I want a console if I can have my PC?

1. I can get the same kind of controller for my PC
2. Any game that comes out on console will come out on PC eventually
3. The Xbox controllers are almost as big as my nuts, why would I want something so huge anyways?
4. I can hook a TV up to my video card
5. My computer is fully upgradable
6. A console will never be as fast as my computer

For these reasons, why would you buy a console? It makes no sense.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 03:16 PM   #17
o_link

Simple ease of play for newbies. Not much of an incentive for the people like us, but its a factor for some.

For me, when you come back from a night out with some mates, you often fancy a game of something.
Now, firstly, the chances are they will be familiar with the system, if not the game (Consoles have much better market penetration than PCs sadly). If they are not, consoles are usually easier to learn in a hurry.
Secondly, unless you have several PC's ready hooked up, its a pain to get the machines together and Lan them when your pissed.
Finally, there is an aspect to sitting on a sofa with some mates playing a console game that you don't get sitting with your backs to each other on the PC.

Now, saying all that, I would choose a PC over a console any day, but there are occasions where they are a better choise than PC's. For example, would you rather take a PSP and play older games on a train, or take a laptop, play HL, and have to lug it around with you?
o_link is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 04:06 PM   #18
o_sobe green

Isolating yourself to one thing (console or PC) and only one thing extremely narrows you're playing field of games. I play almost the exact same few games on PC as I have for the past five years. Nothing new so far (excluding HL2) has kept me addicted. On consoles I've played so many different games in the past five years that I probably couldn't list them all if I tried.

I love them both. But as I've said before, I do not want to pay to play a game online as with Xbox Live. Microsoft is already talking about jacking up the price before the year is overwith. In a year of paying for Xbox Live I could build a new computer or do something to the one I have almost.

Or I could use it to get a girlfriend...or wife...or...

Old 04-25-2005, 05:11 PM   #19
o_binarylife

Quote:
No matter how goodlooking/ugly a console is, I won't bother to invest my money in it. Why on earth would I want a console if I can have my PC?

3. The Xbox controllers are almost as big as my nuts, why would I want something so huge anyways?
2. Not true. Most come out, however, even for that t be true you must wait a great while. So long in fact, that no one will even play the game by the time it gets to you.
3. There are smaller "s" types, which are currently the standard X-Box controller type. They fit the human hand perfectly.
4. Congragulations, why would you want to, that's not really the appeal of a console. Also, most of the time you'll suffer a lower resolution.
5. Recent consoles are getting there. Especialy the next version of the XBox
6. Recent consoles are getting there. Expecialy the next version of the XBox

You can't compare consoles to PC's since the desire is different. Different games come out on consoles, and they have a compeltely different intent. PC games are mostly online, games. There are a great deal of them which aren't, however the draw is online play.

Consoles are more convienient, and less expensive. That's the trade off for versatility and power. Hmm....sort of like Laptops... they're more mobile, more convientient, but not as powerful. Wait, Laptops are getting incredibly powerful....strange......

I'm primarily a PC gamer myself, but I'll never turn down an invite to go play halo2 with with a bunch of my friends.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2005, 05:16 PM   #20
o_travis dane

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Quote:

6. Recent consoles are getting there. Expecialy the next version of the XBox
No they're not. On release they MIGHT have a small edge with CERTAIN PARTS comparing to PC's, but they'll lose it over the course of mere months. The only reason why console can compete with PC's, is because they can operate very efficiently due to their constant hardware configuration. An advantage that won't last if point #5 becomes reality.
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote