Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-20-2012, 03:50 PM   #41
WubbaDucky

Class/Position: Going for pr0 Engi
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ian.de View Post
I may be wrong but why would you try to target keywords that no one is searching in the first place?

If people don't know what fortress forever is in the first place why would they search for it?

He's probably targeting other keywords like "free online steam fps", "free competitive first person shooter", "best fps game on steam", "games like team fortress 2". These are just examples I thought of at 1am but you get the point.

The man is just trying to help drive traffic to this site!

I think he's a god send honestly and the community is lucky to have anyone who is willing to spend time, money, and expertise to help out. We're thankful for you too Rice

That is correct. Keywords in English, Dutch, French, German like you mentioned are the ones I am aiming at. The keywords / brand fortress forever is also a part of the strategy, but in terms of SEO, you have to built around the brand and product first to get a better ranking in SERPS (Search Engine Result Pages) when it comes to dominating a certain local search engine (google.be, .com, .fr, .nl, ...)
From short tail keywords to longtails.

Besides, i will use the same strategy / sort of keywords for this site in a next stage.
It makes everything easier

and thx for the compliment

Last edited by WubbaDucky; 12-20-2012 at 03:51 PM.
WubbaDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 03:53 PM   #42
WubbaDucky

One more thing:

I have some friends who will design me a couple FF banners for Display advertising. I have my own publisher network, and alot of my friends where I can advertise for free, since they 'owe' me all favors lol.
The amount of websites I can get it advertised: Around 350 within one year.
I will balance that out between this site / and the EU one.

And i will try to get data from CPC (paid advertising) in Google Adwords. buy setting up a paid campaign in march / may.

Last edited by WubbaDucky; 12-20-2012 at 04:02 PM.

Old 12-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #43
WubbaDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
J

This will happen a lot; yes, it sends people here, but can and will confuse users.
Lets say they read the basic information, then go to the forums, BAM; completely different site.

Yes, it still says Fortress Forever, but it's still a completely different site.

Wifidi, I wasn't worried about splitting the forums up; I'm more worried about the user's experience when they first come to try FF, a bad or confusing experience will drive the user away, and fast. Faster than any of us bashing them to hell, and then back. That is what I am truly worried about.

Everyone here can say, 'it wouldn't confuse me', but thats you, not the other 7 billion people, lol.
I understand what you mean, but it's part of the communication when rebranding some kind of game or product.

On the site, I will also add a banner / display ad and let the visitor know that the official website is THIS one. It's about communication.

I've experienced this from one of my own clients who own an ecommerce, but yet exploit around 75 sattelitesites with information and own brand to their official website. I have a pretty good idea how to handle that so noone gets confused.

Old 12-20-2012, 07:16 PM   #44
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Just an example, bit extreme but it works; Say you are in a public area and you hear someone talking about Fortress Forever and they are raving about its CTF Mode, you remember the name Fortress Forever, so you search for it. You search for it; you see fortressforever.eu first, so you go there, then you see that page.

This will happen a lot; yes, it sends people here, but can and will confuse users.
Lets say they read the basic information, then go to the forums, BAM; completely different site.

Yes, it still says Fortress Forever, but it's still a completely different site.

Wifidi, I wasn't worried about splitting the forums up; I'm more worried about the user's experience when they first come to try FF, a bad or confusing experience will drive the user away, and fast. Faster than any of us bashing them to hell, and then back. That is what I am truly worried about.

Everyone here can say, 'it wouldn't confuse me', but thats you, not the other 7 billion people, lol.
Rice that's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Do you really think that'll detract from people playing the game?

Look at minecraft. They have a separate site for their website and forums. They don't even have official forums. The first time I looked into that game, after linking to the forums from the main site, I didn't have some brain aneurysm due to separate sites. The worse possible scenario here, is that someone could possibly think there's more than one set of forums, and not be sure if these are the official ones. (which would honestly be rather stupid) And a quick google search could tell them these are. Either way it's not going to detract from people playing.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 07:34 PM   #45
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Rice that's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard. Do you really think that'll detract from people playing the game?

Look at minecraft. They have a separate site for their website and forums. They don't even have official forums. The first time I looked into that game, after linking to the forums from the main site, I didn't have some brain aneurysm due to separate sites. The worse possible scenario here, is that someone could possibly think there's more than one set of forums, and not be sure if these are the official ones. (which would honestly be rather stupid) And a quick google search could tell them these are. Either way it's not going to detract from people playing.
Yes, a bad UX will make a user leave the site, same with playing the game. Stop trying to think everyone is YOU. They are not, each person reacts to things differently. Having a uniform experience will help with this, why do you think I am even going over this? Getting rid of the bumps a user could hit.

MC does have an official forum per-say, http://www.minecraftforum.net/forum , and the user doesn't hit a bump because it is clearly listed on the official site as part of the community. Really you could call it the official unofficial forums, but it's still stated on the main site as a trusted site.

Here's an extreme example of bad UX : http://webpagesthatsuck.smugmug.com/...s-full2_wm.jpg

This site could have the best information ever, but shit is all over the place that a user is more likely to find another site that is organized. UX goes hand and hand with design as well.

Sadly, I could keep listing examples, but you seem to ignorant to the fact that this is what I do for a living, and now what I am talking about.

There is a gold rule for when you do any design work, 'DO NOT DESIGN FOR YOUR SELF'.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 07:46 PM   #46
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Plenty of idiots get paid to work. Idc what you do for a living.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-20-2012, 08:15 PM   #47
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Plenty of idiots get paid to work. Idc what you do for a living.
Really now? So instead of trying to have a mature and intelligent conversation you break down and thrown insults?

Fine, if that's what you want to do, so be it.

Wubba, I have sent you a PM, have some things on this site's end that will need to be done, will also need to hook you up with facebook admin account.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-21-2012, 01:53 PM   #48
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
!add