Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Power Supply Suggestions

Not right at the moment but eventually I want to get a new video card. I'm looking at investing in a ATI 48XX series of cards. Either 4850, 4870 or 4890.

I doubt its going to be a dual GPU card and I only have 1 PCIX slot so for now no worries about SLI or Crossfire requirements for the power supply.

This is my current system...

AMD X2 4800
3 gigs of PC2 6400 (DDR2 800) ram
ASUS M3A motherboard (it can take an AMD quad core)
Internal DVD burner
640gig Seagate SATAII Hard drive
3 120mm case fans
1 external drive bay with a 1tb drive, its not on all the time and is externally powered
X1650 pro 512meg video card (though as I mentioned I will eventually get a new bigger one)

I want a power supply that has a good warranty, is good quality and can handle everything I have and more with power to expand.

I have a generic 400 watt power supply now which will do me, but because I want one of the newer more powerful video cards I will need to upgrade it.

Current PSUs I'm looking at are...

Corsair TX850W 850W CMPSU-850TX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Active PFC 140M Fan Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...6&promoid=1021

Corsair TX750W 750W ATX 12V 60A 24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 140MM Fan
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...r&promoid=1021

Enermax EMD625AWT MODU82+ 625W ATX12V V2.3 24PIN Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...acture=ENERMAX

Thermaltake Toughpower 750W ATX12V 24PIN SLI/CROSSFIRE Ready ATX Power Supply 140MM Fan Active PFC
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...re=Thermaltake

OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan Active PFC Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...Z%20Technology

These are certainly overkill for what I have now, but good for expanding in the future.

So which one would you suggest or would you suggest another?
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #2
Damascus
Comic Artist
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I've had very nice experiences with the Corsair products. If you have the money, go 850W. Shouldn't hurt to have more than required.

Old 09-21-2009, 11:11 PM   #3
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I would think even a 750 is fine. I'm running intel quad core with two HDDs and a power-sucking nvidia 9800GTX+ and my PSU gives no isses.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:41 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
I like Thermaltake.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #5
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I think my PSU is Thermaltake and it's been giving me issues for a while but I don't want to be without my computer for a few weeks. It sometimes requires that I restart the PSU to get the computer to boot.

Old 09-22-2009, 10:57 PM   #6
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
I think my PSU is Thermaltake and it's been giving me issues for a while but I don't want to be without my computer for a few weeks. It sometimes requires that I restart the PSU to get the computer to boot.
Defective? Damaged? Power Protection used? I switched to Thermaltake in my builds a few years ago when Antec went through a rough period. I have a number of builds out there in customer hands that haven't had a lick of trouble. Not that my experience has that much weight...but they always seem to review fairly well on Newegg.

ymmv

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 05:16 PM   #7
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Thank you everyone, so far I am leaning towards the 750 Corsair. I will be buying it locally when I do buy it even if it costs me a bit more just because its so much easier to get it replaced in the first year if anything happens to it.

But I will also keep this power supply as a backup. I've already had one power supply die on me, thankfully it didn't take my computer with it.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 PM   #8
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153104

Modular, cheaper, same wattage. FTW!
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2009, 09:41 PM   #9
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153104

Modular, cheaper, same wattage. FTW!
That would be because thats the American price, the prices I showed were all Canadian.

Now look at that same power supply on the Canadian version of newegg and you will see why I don't bother looking at newegg to get things.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817153104

US price
Original Price: $129.99
You Save: $10.00
$119.99
($99.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card

Canadian Price
$249.99 no rebate, no sale price

Now tack on an extra $33.73 for Handling and Fees and an extra $14.52 for shipping and you come to a total of $298.24

All that extra cost is because its coming over the boarder as newegg.ca does not have a warehouse physically in Canada and they only deal with UPS for shipping.

And no newegg.com does not send to Canada, its US only.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:36 PM   #10
Snipe
WhenGasGrenWillBack?

Class/Position: Sniper, Spy
Gametype: Spy Deathmatch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
That would be because thats the American price, the prices I showed were all Canadian.

Now look at that same power supply on the Canadian version of newegg and you will see why I don't bother looking at newegg to get things.

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...82E16817153104

US price
Original Price: $129.99
You Save: $10.00
$119.99
($99.99 after $20.00 Mail-In Rebate Card

Canadian Price
$249.99 no rebate, no sale price

Now tack on an extra $33.73 for Handling and Fees and an extra $14.52 for shipping and you come to a total of $298.24

All that extra cost is because its coming over the boarder as newegg.ca does not have a warehouse physically in Canada and they only deal with UPS for shipping.

And no newegg.com does not send to Canada, its US only.
my bad gwar.... ill shut up now.
Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-24-2009, 05:54 PM   #11
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

No worries man, I get people trying to point me to newegg (and other american based stores) all the time. They never realize just how bad Canadians get screwed while trying to get stuff over the boarder.

Even with places like ebay I don't get big things. I try only to buy stuff that can be put into a bubble envelope and sent through regular mail.

You would think that coming from the same place they would have at least the same prices to start off with.

Heck at prices like that, its cheaper for me to get someone to buy it in the US and then ship it to me, though if there are any problems with it once it shows up and starts to get too expensive which is why I try only to buy in Canada and more specifically local.

Old 11-11-2009, 02:21 PM   #12
imperius

Class/Position: Soldier/engi - Defender
Gametype: Capture the Flag
This page is cool to see wattage needs. Instead perhaps gessing what you need, see what is recomended and go from there.

example, for me, with above specs that my PC real is, gave me 610W needed (including OC, more pci's that i real have etc etc ... thinking of future) so i bought a good 720W PSU, there was no need to buy a expencive 850W.

http://www.antec.outervision.com/index.jsp

Last edited by imperius; 11-11-2009 at 02:22 PM.
imperius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-11-2009, 06:55 PM   #13
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Thank you, I went though and put in what I believe I might have with in the next 2 or 3 years at least and it told me 491 watts. So I'm pretty sure if I get anything between 600 to 750 watts I will be more then covered.

Old 11-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #14
Dravyck

Class/Position: No thankyou
Gametype: AvD
AMD Phenom II X4 945 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core
GeForce 9800GT
and all the other brand new bells and whistles from a build this spring and with 500w I can do and play anything. I also do alot of HD/AVCHD Lite video editing and converting and the system doesn't break a sweat.

But at those prices, anything around $150, I'd go for the 750 or 850. That way when you rebuild ever year or so, you won't have to worry about power for about another 5 years.
Dravyck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #15
immortal
BADASS

Class/Position: D Solly, O Med
Gametype: kill.conc.cap
Affiliations: [TALOS]
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-088-_-Product

Seasonic X series - the best PSU around.
top nutch quality, very very silent(you can check it out at SilentPCReview.com), 90% efficiency factor, modular, 5 years warranty...
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #16
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

*Gwarsbane points to this post about newegg http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...05&postcount=9

Just incase you don't know, newegg.com does not send stuff over the boarder and stuff from the .ca one has hefty shipping and handling fees.

This one isn't so bad, its only $189 bucks from newegg.ca, but then add in the shipping, handling and taxes ($26.52) its comes to $230.49.

The ones I have been looking at have been around $90 to $110 dollars shipped to my door and thats for a 750watt power supply which has a lot of the same specs as the one you mentioned.

At least if I go for one of the ones from NCIX I don't have to worry about shipping it back over the boarder if anything is wrong with it for the first 30 days.

Heres one I am looking at, and if it comes on sale for 50 bucks again I might grab it.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y&promoid=1033
Right now its $90 bucks, $60 bucks after a mail in rebate. But I have seen it $50 bucks after rebate (they just didn't have any left in stock when I looked).

The other one I am looking at is

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...r&promoid=1033
Its $117, $106 after mail in rebate, but I have seen it as low as $90 with rebate. (also has free shipping right now)

Both are about $10 shipping and 13% taxes on top of everything.

So what do you guys think of those 2 power supplies? Specially the OCZ one?

Old 11-20-2009, 02:20 AM   #17
Kiljen
Beta Tester

Class/Position: scout/soldier
Gametype: ctf, AvD
Affiliations: .gr
The Corsair one does not seem to be modular, so that would be a instant no for me if I was look for a power supply. All the extra cables that you would have may mess with the air flow of the case.

If its between those two I would go with the OCZ.
Kiljen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #18
immortal
BADASS

Class/Position: D Solly, O Med
Gametype: kill.conc.cap
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
*Gwarsbane points to this post about newegg http://forums.fortress-forever.com/s...05&postcount=9

Just incase you don't know, newegg.com does not send stuff over the boarder and stuff from the .ca one has hefty shipping and handling fees.

This one isn't so bad, its only $189 bucks from newegg.ca, but then add in the shipping, handling and taxes ($26.52) its comes to $230.49.

The ones I have been looking at have been around $90 to $110 dollars shipped to my door and thats for a 750watt power supply which has a lot of the same specs as the one you mentioned.

At least if I go for one of the ones from NCIX I don't have to worry about shipping it back over the boarder if anything is wrong with it for the first 30 days.

Heres one I am looking at, and if it comes on sale for 50 bucks again I might grab it.

OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W ATX 20/24PIN SLI Ready Modular Cables 135mm Fan 80PLUS Power Supply
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...y&promoid=1033
Right now its $90 bucks, $60 bucks after a mail in rebate. But I have seen it $50 bucks after rebate (they just didn't have any left in stock when I looked).

The other one I am looking at is

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.p...r&promoid=1033
Its $117, $106 after mail in rebate, but I have seen it as low as $90 with rebate. (also has free shipping right now)

Both are about $10 shipping and 13% taxes on top of everything.

So what do you guys think of those 2 power supplies? Specially the OCZ one?
well, i told what is the best PSU you can find, i didn't noticied you had a maximum budget of U$110 or so to spend on it.

in fact the major PSU brands are reliable but not all of them offers 90% minimal typical efficiency, very silent operating even at full load and so on...

a cheaper yet very good choice would be the Corsair 750TX or 700HX.
Although you should not choose a PSU due it's wattage, since your computer, even on full load, won't use more than 300 or so Watts.
Even for the future if you plan go for SLI or X-Fire a 600W PSU would be more than enough. although it's good to keep the wattage between 40% and 80% of the total PSU power to achieve more efficiency and reliability.

Oh, and keep in mind some models of Corsair PSUs are old Seasonic models =)
Such as the Corsair TX series = Seasonic S or M series(which are very good options too).

And last, but not least, if you want a even more cheap PSU you can go for the Satellite/Solytech SL-8600-EPS wich would cost 65~75U$(don't know how much would be in canadian dollars.)

os: if you don't understand something tell me and i'll try to explain better.

oh, and about modular.. the corsair TX series is not modular.
even though you can organize the cables inside the case so them won't fuck up the airflow.
see this thread at XtremeSystem.org:
http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...d.php?t=239183

Last edited by immortal; 11-20-2009 at 02:31 AM.
immortal is offline   Reply With Quote