Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 06-15-2005, 11:58 PM   #1
o_repair man

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
A question for the FF mappers...

I've been playing a lot of CS:S lately, and while I find the game pretty fun, I have started to notice a pattern as far as mapping goes. Pretty much every map takes place in the middle east or some sort of industrial compound. There are a few obvious exceptions, such as Aztec, Italy, and Inferno, but they are few and far between (this goes for custom maps as well). While most of the maps are pretty damn polished visually, playing in the same type of locales map after map gets old pretty quick.

I was wondering, what are the chances of any of you (Defrag, Eat, Kermit, trepids, Chem, Zouave, whoever) of making a CS:S map any time in the future? It would be nice to see someone bring a little imagination to the world of CS, both gameplay wise (more imaginative gameplay styles or layouts) and aesthetically (a futuristic feel would be much appreciated, or even some more foreign locales). Not only would your efforts be appreciated by the CS:S community, it would give us something to sink our teeth into for the time being . I know its a shot in the dark, but I figured it was worth a mention.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
trepid_jesse
Fortress Forever Staff

I doubt that Jon and I will make a map for CS:S, at least, not anywhere in the near future.

Trepid, what?
trepid_jesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2005, 03:28 AM   #3
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

The problem with making a 'new' type of CS:S map is that you require a tonne of resources to do it properly. Check out the new release of inferno... then browse to the props directory for that map.. and your jaw will drop and the amount of content that has gone into the map (specifically the number of models). Unfortunately, source really has moved the goalposts. For CS, all you really needed was some new textures and a good idea (and perhaps a skybox). Now you need a whole lot more stuff, planning and teamwork just to create a new theme. The days of new quality 3rd-party maps created by a single person are on the way out, imo, unless they stick to an existing theme.

If you check out the main CS:S maps, only port & compound are HL2-esque. The rest have strong themes and a lot of content created specifically for the map itself.

In future, if I can team up with people that can provide quality CS:S textures & props, I'd definitely think about it. Right now isn't the time, though.

Old 06-16-2005, 10:08 PM   #4
o_eat

No
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 02:17 PM   #5
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

told you, rm!

Old 06-17-2005, 06:55 PM   #6
o_repair man

what do you know, you're a figurehead.
o_repair man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 08:22 PM   #7
o_sh4x

How dare you mention CS in these forums.
o_sh4x is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 09:33 PM   #8
o_broodingdude

IGNORE POST>>> I WAS DUMB
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 10:58 PM   #9
o_ghroth

RM look on the dC forums i put a map for cs s on there
as for why they all look the same, my guess would be that there is a shortage of textures
o_ghroth is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2005, 11:02 PM   #10
o_donny

CS:S maps are Way too diffrent from TFC maps
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 06:45 AM   #11
o_morrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
not really. TFC maps just dont support hackers :P

There are tons of maps that arnt middle east, or europe. look at the NEWS section they are releasing assault sometime in the distant future. and thats in Outskirts of Chicago. mind you its kind of like a facility. but not really. De_Train also not in the middle east. think you have been playing a little too much Dust and Dust2.

Inferno ppl rarley play. which is a shame as its an amasing map just it was mainly designed for small number of players or CAL.

as Inferno was on the cal Cycle. lot of textures and objects awsome for a low number of players. once you go above 12 it starts getting ugly.

De_Port is a decent map. mind you its more of a facility thing. but it could be on the cost somewhere. not in the middle east. perhaps europe but doubt it. (whats the point of Terrorists blowing up oil btw. like why not steal it.. crash the tanker into the antartic or something.... unless its americas oil and the Terrorists are lets say from DE_DUST)
o_morrow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-29-2005, 08:16 AM   #12
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sh4x
How dare you mention CS in these forums.
Go dive in a waterless pool.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-30-2005, 09:12 AM   #13
o_donny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morrow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny
not really. TFC maps just dont support hackers :P

There are tons of maps that arnt middle east, or europe. look at the NEWS section they are releasing assault sometime in the distant future. and thats in Outskirts of Chicago. mind you its kind of like a facility. but not really. De_Train also not in the middle east. think you have been playing a little too much Dust and Dust2.

Inferno ppl rarley play. which is a shame as its an amasing map just it was mainly designed for small number of players or CAL.

as Inferno was on the cal Cycle. lot of textures and objects awsome for a low number of players. once you go above 12 it starts getting ugly.

De_Port is a decent map. mind you its more of a facility thing. but it could be on the cost somewhere. not in the middle east. perhaps europe but doubt it. (whats the point of Terrorists blowing up oil btw. like why not steal it.. crash the tanker into the antartic or something.... unless its americas oil and the Terrorists are lets say from DE_DUST)
They really are.
o_donny is offline   Reply With Quote