Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 10-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Al Gore = Nobel prize? W..T..F..

Al Gore, former US president candidate for the Democratic party, former VP, and UN climate panel member, wins 2007 Nobel peace prize.

Al Gore produced a documentary called "Inconvenient Truth" in which he address a global warming situation, and suggests that it's a man-made problem.

However Mars also seem to be experiencing global warming as well.

According to National Geographic, global warming is caused by the sun's solar cycle. and not by carbon dioxide emissions, as Dr. David Evans refutes on this website, which uses his blog as reference.

WTF is wrong with the Nobel panel? What were they smoking? They gave a Nobel peace prize to a guy who made a very inaccurate documentary. What method did they use, flip a coin and see if it landed heads or tails to give it him?
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 03:43 PM   #2
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Because he deserved it. I don't think it needs to be argued that the Nobel committee are smarter than you so you are really just blowing off steam because you don't like Al Gore.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 03:47 PM   #3
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Yea, let's ALL make overly dramatic movies about a politicized science with inaccurate information!

Biggest irony is... some of these "alternative fuels" are actually worse in the long wrong. Water vapor is a much much MUCH more effective greenhouse gas, and the petroleum consumed in ethanol is more than what's saved, not to mention its horrible efficiency.

And let's not forget that untill we start getting more efficient power plants, electric cars are going to aid in the destruction of the environment.

Yea, I can see where a man who's helping to destroy the environment deserves a Noble Prize. Let's not forget the medieval warming period, which he tried to pass off as a tiny hump, but was much more than that, or the drastically scaled graphs.

PS I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but we've gone through this same shit before in America's eugenics craze, which is unsurprisingly not taught in history classes, along with relocation camps for Japanese Americans during WWII (because German Americans obviously were much less of a threat).

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 03:52 PM   #4
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by zSilver_Fox
Yea, let's ALL make overly dramatic movies about a politicized science with inaccurate information!

Biggest irony is... some of these "alternative fuels" are actually worse in the long wrong. Water vapor is a much much MUCH more effective greenhouse gas, and the petroleum consumed in ethanol is more than what's saved, not to mention its horrible efficiency.

And let's not forget that untill we start getting more efficient power plants, electric cars are going to aid in the destruction of the environment.

Yea, I can see where a man who's helping to destroy the environment deserves a Noble Prize. Let's not forget the medieval warming period, which he tried to pass off as a tiny hump, but was much more than that, or the drastically scaled graphs.
Add to that more efficient electricity transmission lines...there's an awful lot of loss just from distribution alone.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 04:14 PM   #5
[FFM]-AC/DC

heh, he gets a prize for this but not for inventing the internet like he once claimed?
[FFM]-AC/DC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #6
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Go go gadget Global Warming thread!
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 04:30 PM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by [FFM]-AC/DC
heh, he gets a prize for this but not for inventing the internet like he once claimed?
He didn't invent the internet. He helped promote it. His quote was taken out of context.
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 04:31 PM   #8
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Indeed, Jiggles.

For one, I don't think Gore deserves the Noble Peace Prize whatsoever. He got a peace prize for making a film? You see Gore flying around in private jets across the country while he's telling everyone to cut back. The movie is a bit ridiculous.

What the committee did get right was awarding it to the IPCC, which does actual global warming research. But that's about as far as they should have gone.

In reply to Dr.Uudge, Mars is warming for completely different reasons. And the warming may not even be "global." Mar's warming is related to the dust storms on the planet (most accepted hypothesis). Now I'm not sure if you cared to read the second page of the National Geographic article, in which everyone completely blasts the idea that Earth and Mar's warming are related. (P.S. No this is not National Geographic's opinion as you state, it's the opinion of one scientist, and the article makes that clear. I'm unsure if you even read the article.)

For the most part, Gore's film was accurate, but it's still just a silly film. Not Nobel Peace Prize worthy.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 04:38 PM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge
He didn't invent the internet. He helped promote it. His quote was taken out of context.
Taken out of context or did he misstate what he intended to convey?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 05:41 PM   #10
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc
Taken out of context or did he misstate what he intended to convey?
Taken out of context.

"During my service in the United States Congress, I took the initiative in creating the Internet."

Old 10-12-2007, 05:52 PM   #11
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
politics aside, what does global warming have to do with peace?

Old 10-12-2007, 05:56 PM   #12
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishBurger
politics aside, what does global warming have to do with peace?
Shit gets hot, shit melts, things flood, global war starts.

Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 PM   #13
YomMamasHouse

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
The only thing worse than global warming is global warring. Bad stuff.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 06:52 PM   #14
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
I guess a British man who saved Jewish children from being killed before WW2 isn't worthy of a Nobel Peace Prize?

The Nobel Peace Prize is more of a joke now a days, just remember that a known terrorist also got one within recent memory.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 PM   #15
Dr.Uudge
in-game as Dr.Ainpipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR
Indeed, Jiggles.

For one, I don't think Gore deserves the Noble Peace Prize whatsoever. He got a peace prize for making a film? You see Gore flying around in private jets across the country while he's telling everyone to cut back. The movie is a bit ridiculous.

What the committee did get right was awarding it to the IPCC, which does actual global warming research. But that's about as far as they should have gone.

In reply to Dr.Uudge, Mars is warming for completely different reasons. And the warming may not even be "global." Mar's warming is related to the dust storms on the planet (most accepted hypothesis). Now I'm not sure if you cared to read the second page of the National Geographic article, in which everyone completely blasts the idea that Earth and Mar's warming are related. (P.S. No this is not National Geographic's opinion as you state, it's the opinion of one scientist, and the article makes that clear. I'm unsure if you even read the article.)

For the most part, Gore's film was accurate, but it's still just a silly film. Not Nobel Peace Prize worthy.
Eh, you're missing the point. Gore got a PEACE prize, which is to say, something related to the benefit of mankind in general. And he claims that globar warming is a MAN-MADE situation.

The articles point out that it's NOT man-made. Why is Gore getting a pat on the back for blaming global warming on mankind, when the scientists are saying it's not the mankind's fault that the sun is going through cycles, nor CO2 emissions, which contribute insignificantly compared to water vapor.
Dr.Uudge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 07:14 PM   #16
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Further, it's a fucking award. Who gives a shit?

Old 10-12-2007, 09:01 PM   #17
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Credge, it's one of the most prestigious awards a person can receive. They were once limited to the brightest and most exemplary people. I've been seeing a recent trend that seems quite the opposite.

Dr.Uudge, GW is a human problem! The article doesn't saw GW isn't a human problem. It says one nutcase scientist who has been completely discredited is trying to make a link between Mars and Earth when there is none. The article doesn't take a stance. Like I said, read the second page of the article!

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 09:17 PM   #18
A Boojum Snark

Quote:
Originally Posted by the article
This year's winners beat out a long list of candidates around which speculation had swirled for weeks. Included among them were human rights champions including Irena Sendler of Poland, who saved 2,500 Jewish children during World War II and Thich Quang Do, a Buddhist monk in Vietnam. Former Finnish President Martti Ahtisaari also has been a longtime candidate because of his peace-broking efforts in the Aceh conflict in Indonesia.

Although the Nobel Committee doesn't reveal nominees, it's also believed that the Salvation Army has been a longtime candidate for the Peace Prize. All told, 181 candidates were nominated for this year's Nobel Peace Prize, including 46 organizations.
I bet at least 170 of those 180 other candidates were up for it because of something far more related to peace than talking about global warming.
Who even thought to nominate? What train of thought leads you from one to the other.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 PM   #19
Jredge

I take the Darwin awards more seriously than the Nobels now.

And Credge.... nice SN....
Jredge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2007, 01:36 AM   #20
StrickNine

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
I bet Gore killing MBP helped him win.
StrickNine is offline   Reply With Quote