Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 06-05-2007, 04:38 PM   #221
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
puppychow: Dospac has his own opinions about Valve and TF2. Those opinions aren't shared by all of the devs, I can tell you that right now. Sure, it's easy with hindsight to say that Valve could have done this or should have done that. Bottom line is that they've done a great job with a lot of their games/mods, including TFC. The good things they did with it FAR outweight the bad things they did or didn't do. Also, their TF2 philosophy is really convincing and a lot of us are excited to play it.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:43 PM   #222
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
word to your mother.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 04:49 PM   #223
[AE] 5316 *TKZ*
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Medic - O
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater Clan
Send a message via ICQ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via AIM to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via MSN to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Yahoo to [AE] 5316 *TKZ* Send a message via Skype™ to [AE] 5316 *TKZ*
That video made something wonderful, and exciting happen in my pants. I can't wait to plai!
==================================================
[AE] 5316 *TKZ* is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 07:04 PM   #224
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by barronofhellion
whats june 27th?
That would be perfect for those people that don't like the OT... my son is having surgery on the 27th, so it's highly doubtful we'd have a server up on that day. If this is an incentive to get the game out on that day, do it!

Old 06-05-2007, 07:09 PM   #225
own3r
Custom mapper

lol quick make the necessary arrangements stat!
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 07:19 PM   #226
barronofhellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
That would be perfect for those people that don't like the OT... my son is having surgery on the 27th, so it's highly doubtful we'd have a server up on that day. If this is an incentive to get the game out on that day, do it!
my luck to your son, and happy birthday to pixel
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 09:42 PM   #227
Spiderm4N
Banned

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
is that real? :O

"#5333766
by: Fortress-Forever.com (Visitor) Please note, this game will not be released within 2007. We are busy working with Ubisoft on our next project and we realize FF will not be as popular, so we are not giving it priority. Please be patient while we continue working slowing on FF.
[reply] Monday, June 04, 2007 09:57 PM"

http://files.filefront.com//;7678029;/
Spiderm4N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM   #228
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
No. No it is not.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 10:59 PM   #229
arsenal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger
With movement like that, I hope the rockets are either quicker, more in a clip or with larger splash. I'd prefer the first.
yeah, even though it's been said that rockets move slightly quicker now, i didn't get that impression from the ff_dm clip. speculation of course without playing the game but i'd hope for another tweak to the rpg speed.

otherwise as said elsewhere, i enjoyed the video although ending with that pic of shak wasn't particularly appealing.
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-05-2007, 11:12 PM   #230
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Uh, I am pretty sure that is not actually a picture of Sh4x...

That part STILL makes me laugh.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:23 AM   #231
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
No listen up, misters. The BOTTOM LINE is that .. lol jk. Puppychow, you're entitled to your opinion but if you don't intend on backing it up, don't try and flame me for mine.

But yeah, a hazard course type intro for TFC that was updated a few times over the years would have been pretty frickin cool and helped a ton. Not to mention meaningful updates to the game to address the problems Valve themselves identified correctly over the years: the game not being straight forward enough, not obvious or fun etc.

Why do I know this? Because I've taught the game to many people over the years and the biggest problems in getting people on the right track were also the easiest ones from a dev pov to fix. I also noticed that without exception the more the gamers I helped picked up about TFC, the more+longer they played, the more they contributed to the community, etc.

Valve's attempted fixes were to remove the emphasis on a number of parts of the CTF game and simplify things with maps like Dustbowl and some of the other new game types that were created. And then the game was ignored, with even some of Valve's 1st party maps like Warpath getting broken and never fixed in later engine updates.

If Valve were interested in developing the franchise like they ended up doing with CS, they should have spent some time and $ on TFC to improve it and get more people playing and understanding the game. Obviously TF2 is their effort to do just this though years later, and I look forward to playing it. I'm worried that they're taking the game backwards, it's not too laaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaate. We watched TFC get stepchild treatment for years, and now it looks to me like we're in for another round of that action(consoles wut?).

Haha we'll see.

Last edited by Dospac; 06-06-2007 at 12:38 AM.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 AM   #232
Nadagast

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Nice vid!

Old 06-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #233
grg
el matador

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadagast
Nice vid!
After such a deep post from Dospac, this made me laugh. I must be weird.
grg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 08:28 AM   #234
magzy

yes
magzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 01:04 PM   #235
Wile E Coyote

I've been following this mod from the day this website went up. I haven't registered here at the forums before now because I'm usually busy in too many forums already. I was a huge TFC fan; I quit playing when unchecked scripting starting taking away a lot of the fun (my opinion). So I've been very excited about this mod for Source.

First let me say it looks GORGEOUS. I also like many of the ideas you have implemented. Your work is definitely not unappreciated. 95% of what I've seen I love. Now to the point of my post..... This is not a rant (for you flame-prone types out there). I just watched the "Stayin Alive" video on your main page. I was crestfallen and aghast at what I saw. People flying through the air doing 90 deg, even 180 deg turns in midair. People literally flying across the map changing direction of their flight path like they had a jetpack on. I see no evidence of a conc grenade changing their course; it seems they are just doing it by tapping the direction keys. In old TFC you'd have to have the server air_density (or whatever the command was) set to 80 or so to achieve results like these.

Is this the intended gameplay, or was this one of those "cute" videos posted of people goofing around with configs trying to look cool? I can't tell. I'm probably the one voice of dissent in a crowd of cheering people, but if I say nothing it is not helping at all. I also realize that there is a lot more to the game than just scouts and medics. I also understand taking license with things and that it is not a direct port - but some things can go too far. As many things I see that are great, I just can't get past these "jetpack" dudes. Call me nitpicky or whiner if you want; all I can really tell you is this video has brought my interest in FF to a screeching halt for the moment.
Wile E Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 01:18 PM   #236
GhOsT

Did you even read this thread, Coyote?
GhOsT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 01:22 PM   #237
own3r
Custom mapper

Putting myself in their position they can't 'win' if its identical people will complain if its different people will complain, try playing it before passing judgement TBH.

What someone can do 1/25 attempts you will not see ever in normal play and will be almost certainly only be in the realm of conc maps, In TFC one of the easiest conc maps out there conc_speed featured a 180 degree conc it was just longer thats all was something like jump 6 - 8 I think?

The perspective affected things too because it was 3rd person made it look a lot sharper than it really was IMO, air control is also a really cool thing to mess about with. This game is not trying to be 'realistic' anyway. How realistic is a conc or rocket jump? Yet you complain about air control, do you know how ridiculous that sounds?
own3r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #238
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
I did the same thing Dospac did, teaching others to play the game in place of there being a solid tutorial.

I think over the year and a half I have played TFC I must have had about a dozen students under my belt... Each one took 1-6 hours on average to get them to understand things like rocket jumping, concing, where to place SGs, the importance of the game (it is not your K : D ratio that is important, it is how the team performs that is important).

I am gonna be glad that FF will have something like this, but I will also be a little sad that my services as an ad-hoc teacher will no longer be needed. *sniffle*

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #239
n3m
BT King ^^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wile E Coyote
I've been following this mod from the day this website went up. I haven't registered here at the forums before now because I'm usually busy in too many forums already. I was a huge TFC fan; I quit playing when unchecked scripting starting taking away a lot of the fun (my opinion). So I've been very excited about this mod for Source.

First let me say it looks GORGEOUS. I also like many of the ideas you have implemented. Your work is definitely not unappreciated. 95% of what I've seen I love. Now to the point of my post..... This is not a rant (for you flame-prone types out there). I just watched the "Stayin Alive" video on your main page. I was crestfallen and aghast at what I saw. People flying through the air doing 90 deg, even 180 deg turns in midair. People literally flying across the map changing direction of their flight path like they had a jetpack on. I see no evidence of a conc grenade changing their course; it seems they are just doing it by tapping the direction keys. In old TFC you'd have to have the server air_density (or whatever the command was) set to 80 or so to achieve results like these.

Is this the intended gameplay, or was this one of those "cute" videos posted of people goofing around with configs trying to look cool? I can't tell. I'm probably the one voice of dissent in a crowd of cheering people, but if I say nothing it is not helping at all. I also realize that there is a lot more to the game than just scouts and medics. I also understand taking license with things and that it is not a direct port - but some things can go too far. As many things I see that are great, I just can't get past these "jetpack" dudes. Call me nitpicky or whiner if you want; all I can really tell you is this video has brought my interest in FF to a screeching halt for the moment.
Again...
There is NOTHING in that video which can't be done in standard TFC, you just never learned how to do it. Go back and read the discussion in the rest of the thread before posting as it has come up already. This video was made more so to show the hard core TFC players the in game movement, like concs, slides and trimps which we were crying out for!!

The good news for you is it is going to be ALOT easier to do in FF as there will be in game tutorials covering most of it and much easier jump timing for bhoping, where as in TFC you didn't have such luxuries.

But again and for the last time, the concing and moves in this video are all doable in TFC. (Apart from Trimping)
n3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #240
tu!

quick dev. team! make another video for noobs that have never palyed tf.
tu! is offline   Reply With Quote