Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 01-26-2007, 02:20 AM   #1
o_sizeablessonic

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Ah shit. (computer is BAD)

So, I open the comp to clean the fan,a dn its really warm. I did everything by the book. Anyway, i turn it back on, now there aren't any startup beeps, and nothing comes on. I just get a blank screen. My dad (who REALLY knows his way around computers) has told me the motherboard the damaged.

The one other thing I really need to know is whether the video card is damaged. We can replace the motherboard and hard drive (I got a new one for christmas), I'm not sure we can replace the video card, as we got it 1 and 1/2 to 2 years ago, and dont have any (usable) replacements.

Any info would be GREATLY appreciated.
o_sizeablessonic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 02:24 AM   #2
o_leandros

Try it in another machine
o_leandros is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 AM   #3
o_vertical

So you know I've had this happen to me twice (which is why I HATE hardware), but anyhow, the first time it was the motherboard, I sent it back and they repaired it, the second time (like 2 weeks ago or so) it turned out to be a dead processor (I didn't clean the computer or anything, just turned it off, and back on like 2 days later, and it didn't work). So basically it could be caused a number of ways, and the only way to be sure is to check your graphics card, motherboard and processor in another system (Or get someone who has a simular computer to try it, or take it somewhere). Otherwise you may end up like me and buy a new motherboard and have a perfectly good one already with a bad processor... (Which was no huge deal being that my board was only 55 dollars, but still, its 55 bucks I wouldn't have had to spend had I thought to check the processor first. So make sure you get all that stuff checked out if you don't want to waste money!
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 02:51 AM   #4
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Motherboards can fail for a number of reasons. Power is a big reason. The bad thing about a failed motherboard is that it's connected to EVERYTHING. The potential for widespread damage is almost as bad as a failed P/S. Something as simple as a static shock to the motherboard or the computer chassis in just the right place is enough to damage it.

If you suspect your PSU is weak I'd replace it along with whatever else.

However....

Try removing all power and jumpering the CMOS clear jumpers to wipe the BIOS clean and reload the defaults. Strip out EVERYTHING and disconnect/remove everything but video card (be sure you reseat the video card to ensure a good connection), monitor, power cord and keyboard. If it comes up then gradually add your stuff back in. If it doesn't try another PSU first before declaring the mobo bad. Note, if everything else is good and video card is bad your system should give you some indication from beep tones to a voice warning (ASUS Doctor).

G'luck man!
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 03:02 AM   #5
o_the russian

Quote:
Originally Posted by |404|Innoc-TPF-
Motherboards can fail for a number of reasons. Power is a big reason. The bad thing about a failed motherboard is that it's connected to EVERYTHING. The potential for widespread damage is almost as bad as a failed P/S. Something as simple as a static shock to the motherboard or the computer chassis in just the right place is enough to damage it.

If you suspect your PSU is weak I'd replace it along with whatever else.

However....

Try removing all power and jumpering the CMOS clear jumpers to wipe the BIOS clean and reload the defaults. Strip out EVERYTHING and disconnect/remove everything but video card (be sure you reseat the video card to ensure a good connection), monitor, power cord and keyboard. If it comes up then gradually add your stuff back in. If it doesn't try another PSU first before declaring the mobo bad. Note, if everything else is good and video card is bad your system should give you some indication from beep tones to a voice warning (ASUS Doctor).

G'luck man!
I pretty much agree with everything he said. But before you do ANYTHING try to switch out the battery on your mobo first ... boy does it suck to fill two days with endless work testing part after part to later find out it was the goddamn little battery that gave out.

If you are hearing 0 beeps what-so-ever, i can safely guarantee its the mobo which is dead. Theoreticaly, it could also be the PSU. Check if the fan in the PSU is spining when you turn your computer on or if any lights come on on the mobo or pc when you hit the power switch. Lastly, dont forget to test for a faulty power strip if you're using one.
o_the russian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 10:20 AM   #6
o_sizeablessonic

Lucky for me, we have an extra mobo laying around (Which is actualy much better then the one I was using... we just neber got around to using it.). The PSu is not the problem, I already checked it with a tester, green across the board.

Btw, what are you talking bout with CMOS jumpers? How do i reset the motherboard? Or the video card?

Old 01-26-2007, 01:43 PM   #7
o_leandros

You reset the CMOS by taking out the small battery on the motherboard for 15 secs-1 min. Resets all settings to factory defaults. I think it resets the video card as well, if the settings were done in the BIOS.

Old 01-26-2007, 02:30 PM   #8
o_someoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros
You reset the CMOS by taking out the small battery on the motherboard for 15 secs-1 min. Resets all settings to factory defaults. I think it resets the video card as well, if the settings were done in the BIOS.
Not necessarily... some batteries are not designed to be easily removed. It's dependent on the mobo.

For detailed instructions (with additional links to motherboard sites and caveats) look here:

http://www.dewassoc.com/support/bios/bios_password.htm
-or here-
http://home.comcast.net/~soundguy1/cmos.html
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 02:39 PM   #9
o_mooga

I had/have a similar problem.
The family computer stays on 24/7.
One day it was off and pressing the power button does nothing.
I'm assuming it either the P/S or mobo so I'm going to try to get a new P/S and swap it out. If not I guess I'll salvage parts. How I can get it back up because I might be able to use the computer and it have a duel core (or 2 possessors, IDK since it was a refurbished sony).
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Or it could be the switch. Have you checked the switch?

Old 01-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #11
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Or it could be the switch. Have you checked the switch?
I've seen switches stick or motherboard issues where the BIOS CLR jumper was needed but in 26 years of working under the hood of computers I can honestly say I've never seen a switch fail. Not saying it doesn't happen just that I've never seen it.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 07:40 PM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Yeah but it's easy to check and inexpensive to replace. So I prefer to check that first before I go "Motherboard."

Old 01-26-2007, 08:29 PM   #13
o_pixel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandros
Or just remove the bios reset jumper
o_pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2007, 10:52 PM   #14
o_mooga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel
Or just remove the bios reset jumper
Or dance around naked with illegal copies of windows ME
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2007, 01:29 AM   #15
o_sizeablessonic

What does this switch you speak of look like?

Old 01-27-2007, 02:11 AM   #16
o_leandros

They're usually positioned at the front of the case. You press it and power is turned on. They tend to have a symbol that's a circle with a line through it.

Old 01-28-2007, 02:50 AM   #17
o_sizeablessonic

Hold, up, with everyone saying check the switch, I should say it DOES turn on, it just doesn't do anything else.

Old 01-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #18
o_bubbles

Ding ding! We move on to the next level!
o_bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote