Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 AM   #101
o_heatz0r

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The visual tagging thing just doesn't seem right. Maybe instead of the red boxed thing around the player model something could come up on the HUD showing the general direction of the person rather than a pin pint location vissible through walls etc.
o_heatz0r is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 08:35 AM   #102
o_gunslinger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
Because there are open areas that aren't the midmap.
Really? Do you think, like, maybe, that might be, like, WHY I FUCKING MENTIONED IT?
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 08:58 AM   #103
o_toffee

personally Im looking forward to seeing how useful it could be for an attacking sniper who can take out the front line defenders, or to be a front line defender.. would be cool seeing him able to actually contribute more directly to a CTF gameplay!
o_toffee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 09:25 AM   #104
o_darksoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by IVaquaL
If I can throw my 2 cents I would make snipers immune to the wallhack tag bullet, otherwise that would essentially mark the death of sniper wars
bollocks

you're saying that one vs one sniper will result in going for the tag first and then the kill? i think not. shoot the fucker in the head and get it over with.
o_darksoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 09:32 AM   #105
o_ivaqual

good point but i can still imagine many people tagwaiting the other sniper for the "power" of it and bugging the enemy.
also sometimes people will just miss the headshot and tag the enemy.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 11:06 AM   #106
o_stephen

Anything that disrupts sniper wars is fine by me. Especially things that explode and maim them.
o_stephen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 11:37 AM   #107
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
well you're in for a disappointment then, Stephen.

IVaquaL: the range of the tagging system is shorter than that required for a sniperwar.

Old 01-22-2007, 04:13 PM   #108
o_player

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaberWolf
The reason they did it is to give the Sniper SOMETHING to bring him up and make him more valuable.
He already is a valuable class...

I would be happy if the dev team proved my opinion wrong, but as I see it now, it is essentially a wallhack.

If I were to slap a tagging system in TFC, Q3, Q3F, ETF, QWTF, I would have a considerable advantage over those that did not. And, looking at Fortress Forever, there are no significant gameplay changes that would make such a feature less effective than it would be in other TF games.
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #109
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

he means value in CTF, working as part of a team. in TFC, this blatently doesn't happen, especially not in pubs.

and remember, theres a range, and that the guy has to be shot in the first place.

Old 01-22-2007, 05:41 PM   #110
o_saberwolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Player
He already is a valuable class...

I would be happy if the dev team proved my opinion wrong, but as I see it now, it is essentially a wallhack.

If I were to slap a tagging system in TFC, Q3, Q3F, ETF, QWTF, I would have a considerable advantage over those that did not. And, looking at Fortress Forever, there are no significant gameplay changes that would make such a feature less effective than it would be in other TF games.
Ok, so the sniper has wall hax....the engi can build SG's, and the spy can cloak. So, do these all have serious advantages over the other? No. And tbh, the sniper is not a very valuable class, I have never seen a Sniper in a gold match, unless the team just decided to give up and fuck around, same for pyro and spy actually. They were all given a little something to make thime more useful in real clan play. Pyro got a dmg boost, spy got cloak and sabatage, and sniper got wall hax...even though with the limited conditions, i still don't see it helping that much.
o_saberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 05:52 PM   #111
o_rizzo

http://koti.mbnet.fi/ftf/smj/scores/...nd_enclave.jpg
o_rizzo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 06:19 PM   #112
o_ghost

I think I can say that out of all the matches I have played in my 6 years of playing organized TFC I can count on 1 hand the number of times I've seen a sniper used. Most of the time it was to take out a hwguy in a water tunnel (well or tempest). I think 1 time a clan we played used a sniper on D for epicenter. Other than that the only times I have ever seen a sniper in organized play is when one team is just getting blown out of the water and somebody switches to it to goof off.

The fact remains that most maps just don't cater well to snipers. Most of the time it's just more effective to plop a soldier or a hwguy in a chokepoint rather than risk a sniper missing and in turn inflicting 0 damage to the enemy that got by.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 06:34 PM   #113
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo
I don't know about you, but I've played Enclave about 4 or 5 times total in clan matches.

Which is too bad, 'cuz that map rocks. Especially with uncapped bhopping
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 10:19 PM   #114
o_thepanther

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzo
rofl the HW died 1 time
o_thepanther is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 10:48 PM   #115
o_darknight

A slow flashing "blip" would be kinda cool for the sniper tagging system. 'Cause when the blip fades for a second/two ... he could have gone anywhere. :X:X:X
o_darknight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-22-2007, 11:48 PM   #116
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

i'm pushing all sorts of ideas like that to the devs, i dunno whats hot and whats not with them though.

i recently put forward the idea of a one dimensional type radar that uses the same tagging data (and possibly to show teammates too), similar to OFP:

http://forum.ge/uploads/post-49-1148411702.jpg

but it got poopooed in irc because my conceptual art sucked.

Old 01-23-2007, 12:19 AM   #117
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
At one point(I think originally? don't remember) I suggested the intermittent pulse type of animation for the tag effect, mainly because there were issues with how smooth we could get the location effect. Basically, if the pulsing glyph animated over the interval we wanted the location to update, the effect would look seamless and also accomplish what Mervaka has recently suggested. We could go in that direction for balance reasons. Right now I haven't seen a case for needing to nerf the effect in that way though. Tweaking the duration and range, and notifying the player of their tag should be enough yo.
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 07:21 AM   #118
o_marchy

maybe I missed it, but how exactly does the Sniper tag the enemy. Does it have to actually be with the Sniper rifle. Or can they use that lame ass AR or nailgun? Please tell me it's the Sniper rifle only. And how long does it last exactly? Sorry trying to catch up with this thread.
o_marchy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 01:11 PM   #119
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
The target has to be shot with the sniper rifle. The AR no longer has the infinite range it doesn in TFC either, so it won't be as lame but instead should be a useful last ditch defense weapon. Up close of course.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2007, 03:44 PM   #120
o_arsenalfc

what's conc, gren, and rj skimming like? can you maintain some speed for a while or is it fairly abrupt?
o_arsenalfc is offline   Reply With Quote