Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 08-30-2006, 09:16 AM   #41
o_nezumi

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
If they lost conc, then yes.

It wouldn't even matter if the new game was fun, it wouldn't be TF (in a manner of speaking).

There are lots of games to play that are fun but fewer TF games. We need new ones.

Actually, haha, there are 3 but I'd be less inclined to play one if it took out concs, or even if they took them away from the medic.

This is all speculation right now but my point stands.
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 AM   #42
o_einstein

Taking aways concs would make the game much more slower (which most of you seem to fear) but concs are not the essential part of every team fortress game. The main thing is that you have different classes with different abilities and varying strength and speed. And this will be true for FF and TF2.

Sure, I would miss the concs, too, but seeing that almost every clan offense consists of mostly medics (with a few scouts in between) is really annoying. I remember days when there were also soldiers, demos and engineers playing in offense, and it would be good for the game if this variety returns. And if this can only be achieved by balancing (yes, balancing) the medic, then why not.
o_einstein is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:32 AM   #43
o_norris

/agreed
o_norris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:37 AM   #44
o_ghost

People might actually have to learn something new. *gasp*
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:43 AM   #45
o_gunslinger

I can't see what some people want. They bitch that TF2 doesn't come out for 7 years, bitch it's delayed, bitch that it MIGHT NOT have concs, bitch it MIGHT change the medic, bitch they MIGHT have to play another class on offense....

Speculate all you want, but there's very little point. Wait 6ish months and then see what is actually there.

As for not wanting change, hurrah for you, FF will be out sometime or other and seems like it will be TFC:S, which should suit you down to the ground.

imo tbh wtf etc.
o_gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 12:20 PM   #46
o_unknownfigure

Come on people. You don't HAVE to play TF2. You're, for sure, playing FF, which has concussion grenades, and will still make you fly. Both of the games are most likely going to have the same maps. But chances are, you will most likely pick up Episode Two either for EP2, Portal, both, or TF2. Whichever is the case, Valve will probably do that weekend trial crap they did with Red Orchestra sometime near it's release. However you look at it, you are most likely going to have a chance to play it. Then you can decide if it's shit and say "WTF! The demo's pipes don't go that far anymore! This is gay!"

I'm playing both games, FF for clan, TF2 for fun and social.

But if you are hardcore elitist, just stay with FF. (There's most likely going to be game model mods for TF2 for those who want a more FF-ish style game in TF2 gameplay, and no doubt there will be those people being brought in due to the recent publicity)
o_unknownfigure is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 12:32 PM   #47
o_zaskar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
If they lost conc, then yes.

It wouldn't even matter if the new game was fun, it wouldn't be TF (in a manner of speaking).

There are lots of games to play that are fun but fewer TF games. We need new ones.

Actually, haha, there are 3 but I'd be less inclined to play one if it took out concs, or even if they took them away from the medic.

This is all speculation right now but my point stands.
They might of just taken them from the Medic to make it more of a, well, Medic.
Id be fine as long as the scout still had them, or atleast something along those lines. (I got FF for the straight port, havin some radical changes will make playin TF2 kind of interesting past the initial testing then goin back to FF)
o_zaskar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 01:51 PM   #48
o_sabre

In my opinion there are a load of un-original online FPS games, what makes TF original, different and more fun? The inclusion of things such as bunnyhopping, concing, sliding etc . Take them away and we have yet another predictable boring game.
o_sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 02:58 PM   #49
o_binarylife

I think TF2 will do just fine. Valve has vertainly proved itself an able game producing company. I proboly wont play it however, because I disagree with the path they've chosen. I don't like how cartoony it is. It's not really the best direction, in my opinion, for the game. It's too big of a jump. The spy being dressed in a suit is part of that. (the cloak was pretty badass though)

I wanted a look more simaler to the Quake look and FF will do that. It's all going to be individual choices. I can say that a friend of mine who has been following FF (without posting) mentioend that he's excited about TF2. So many players will do many different things.

I'll just watch and make ignorant social commentart when the times comes
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 03:18 PM   #50
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabre
In my opinion there are a load of un-original online FPS games, what makes TF original, different and more fun? The inclusion of things such as bunnyhopping, concing, sliding etc . Take them away and we have yet another predictable boring game.
couldn't have said it better myself. i may quote that in other forums

Old 08-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #51
o_gman55

I'm one of those TFC fans who won't miss concs either way. I guess it's because I only play A/D maps (and a few fun ones like uk_footie) where concing isn't really used.

I've never been a fan of concing (or nade jumping) because it takes a lot of fun outta the game. Dbowl was more fun before everyone learned to nade jump at light speed into the cap points. Likewise, I think CTF teams are skewed in favor of the medic.

I realize, though, that bunny hopping and concing help make TFC unique. Still, I can't say that I'll miss either one...
o_gman55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 08:30 PM   #52
o_ghost

Quote:
IMO those are not the reasons people originally try and get into playing a game like TFC. Sure, maybe it's something that keeps them playig it for years after. However, there are people right this second playing quite happily on a 24/7 dustbowl server not using any of those techniques.

IMO the thing that sets TF apart from other online games is the 9 distinct player classes. It was one of the first games to do so to such an extreme and what set it apart from standard CTF. TF allows you to choose a role and specialize in that. Sure there are games out now that allows you to do that but it's just something with the TF formula that noone else has been able to replicate.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 09:35 PM   #53
o_ping_chow_chi

Quote:
so your moaning about all them un-origanal games, yet you seem scared that valve my do something different for TF2??

maybe you should just wait and see, and maybe, just maybe a wee bit of originality will make the game a little bit more enjoyable, maybe
o_ping_chow_chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-30-2006, 11:07 PM   #54
o_amazingnurseenrique

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beavis
Don't forget just because you created something good early on in your career doesn't mean that everything else you touch will turn to gold.

lol, good examples

I agree, but I think it's important to be open to change here...TF is an ollllld game with a largely traditionalist fanbase, but this doesn't give license to allow old balance issues return and rear their ugly head. I loved the old medic, it was a blast, but there's a reason you only saw him and solly in clan play. I'd like to see that addressed so that the high-end gameplay can improve.
o_amazingnurseenrique is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 12:37 AM   #55
o_groovis

Quote:
Taking aways concs would yadda yadda...
I want my scout flash bangs back from QTF. How could they take that from me... HOW COULD THEY!

I mean, it's funny to watch sollys blundering around totally blind.

So, in short, they change the classes every time they remake the game. Hooray! New stuff!
o_groovis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 04:48 AM   #56
o_soulcutter

New stuff is the devil, what are you talking about.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 04:52 AM   #57
o_etzell

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazingNurseEnrique
I loved the old medic, it was a blast, but there's a reason you only saw him and solly in clan play. I'd like to see that addressed so that the high-end gameplay can improve.
That reason: You're playing against a poor clan. Good clans will employ spies/scouts and demos/hws/engies as well as the medic and soldier.
o_etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 12:58 PM   #58
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ping_Chow_Chi
so your moaning about all them un-origanal games, yet you seem scared that valve my do something different for TF2??
Not quite. He called them unoriginal because they didn't have much in the way of advanced movement techniques. Thus, by stripping concing out Valve would be taking out an original TF feature and making TF2 more like the other games.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 07:02 PM   #59
o_ping_chow_chi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles
Not quite. He called them unoriginal because they didn't have much in the way of advanced movement techniques. Thus, by stripping concing out Valve would be taking out an original TF feature and making TF2 more like the other games.
I see, you seem to be indicating that the only way that they can keep it original is by keeping everything that the original has in (with maybe a new trick or two) and that by removing something that was there makes it less original. I can not really see the logic behind that, as it seems that they are not just trying to produce a CS clone, but I think I can see the point you are trying to make.

Well, my take is that valve looks like they have tried hard to come up with something original, more original than, say, just porting the game over to steam, lock stock and barrel. Yes it could end up being a pile of steaming poo, but I think to say that they are taking an unoriginal view on TF is quite off the mark.

It does seem to me that people are indeed very scared of change, but I think TF has to change if it is to be as popular as it once was.
o_ping_chow_chi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #60
o_puppychow

this whole FF will be for clanners and tf2 for pubbers really needs to stop. FF NEEDS a big n00b and pub scene to flourish, and already positioning FF as the "serious mod for the serious gamer" will only hurt its longevity.
o_puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote