Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 03-07-2006, 03:07 PM   #1
schtoofa
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
HUGE FF Interview - PHL

Head on over to Planet Half-Life to see a "HUGE" Fortress Forever interview. Thanks goes out to D3pth Charge, who sent us the list of thoughtful questions and who waited patiently for our responses (that were answered collectively by the FF dev team).

Click here for the full interview text, where you can find Q&As like:

Quote:
PHL: Is your team for the most part on the same page when it comes to the mod's vision, or do you find yourselves in many heated debates over the path that you want to take? Do you reach a compromise or does Schtoofa have last say? Or is that Dospac's jurisdiction?

Fortress Forever: Generally speaking, we have the same vision of the mod. People will always have different opinions on the micro scale so we generally work as a democracy. Who concludes the debate really depends on what area is being discussed. In same cases the leads pull rank, and in some rare cases I (Schtoofa) have also. That seldom happens, though. It's surprising how a common vision just sort of evolved and has spread throughout the dev team members.

Old 03-07-2006, 03:14 PM   #2
o_fresh

Nice one dev team!
Nice one D3pth!
Nice one PHL!
o_fresh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 03:33 PM   #3
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Good interview. I like the part about the new shaders and map entities.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 03:36 PM   #4
o_sobe green

Loved that. I have a question about this though:

"We have created some unique weapon models with features not often seen in mods. For instance, rocket and pipe reload exactly the right amount and animations reflect this accordingly. It's a lot of work but adds a lot of polish."

Does this mean we'll actually see our targets reloading in real time or does this only apply to first person view?
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 03:49 PM   #5
o_mescalito

in most games you see the target reloading. otherwise how would you know when to stab him?
he's talking about what you saw in the video with the GL
o_mescalito is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 04:07 PM   #6
o_ghost

The ealiest MP game I can remember where you could see other people reloading was CS. I'm not sure if it would be feasible to do so in FF since none of the weapons use clips where when you reload you instantly have full ammo. All of the wepons that reload allow you to break the reload in the middle and fire since you are inserting the ammo in 1 round at a time. This means you are reloading a lot of the time, whether it is with an auto reload script or just smashing the reload button constantly. Just think it would look weird seeing a soldier running around constantly shoving rockets into his rocket laucher.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 04:13 PM   #7
o_mescalito

i think it will be wierd only if they make it look wierd..

Old 03-07-2006, 04:39 PM   #8
o_sobe green

Well normally you see the animation of a player reloading. But that doesn't always mean when you see him put a shell in his shotgun that at that actual instant he is putting a shell in his shotgun. I think it works like this:

Player hits the reload key and begins to reload.
World model starts displaying a constant reload animation for other players to see. The animation plays until he either shoots, dies, or finishes reloading.

It isn't a big deal if this isn't what they meant. But if it is I give them major credit for going into the detail of doing so.

The world reload animation for most guns in CS is just the player pulling out a clip and putting another back in. The first person model has alot more actually going on. It is always cool to have the reload animations match up. But since it is alot of work and isn't something that actually needs to be done nobody really does it.

Old 03-07-2006, 04:41 PM   #9
o_shortcircuit

could the trepids share more about their mapping technique or point us in the direction of some more info about it?
o_shortcircuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #10
o_ghost

It looks good in CS since most of the time you are standing still while reloading and you don't reload every time after firing 1 shot.

I'm just picturing a soldier/demo fighting, jumping around, doging, running constantly while DMing someone. Seems like half the fight you would see him reloading while fighting.

It's not really that big of a deal. I just don't think it fits in with the mechanics of TF though. Maybe if it was like QWTF where when you started reloading you couldn't fire until after you were fully reloaded it would make more sense to me since seeing that information would actually be usefull. As it is now you can be constantly reloading all the time and not miss a beat.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:15 PM   #11
o_sobe green

I agree it would definately look funny. But I also think there is a right way to do it and a wrong way. We've just never seen the right way yet.

Old 03-07-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
o_mescalito

Maybe the reload animation should apply only when the player fully ran out of ammo. Just for the aesthetics you know.. No reload animation would be as wierd as constant reloading animation methinks.

Old 03-07-2006, 06:20 PM   #13
o_yoshura

Good read.

In-game-to-website stats system!? Plan of Attack had that (i think that mod is dead now)

Its a good thing im getting a PC upgrade in the summer.. grenades sound like they gonna do bad things to mister FPS
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 06:23 PM   #14
o_ghost

Seems like the grenade effects would be something that would only happen above a certain graphics setting. Like how you get light reflecting off of tiles with DX9 and no reflection with DX8 or lower.

Old 03-07-2006, 07:50 PM   #15
o_sensai

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuDZ
So schtoofa doesn't do a damn thing, but tell what goes where and what not? LMAO. I could do that. If that's all you do, why do you act like such a business man when it comes to releasing info in the dev journals and media releases?

Let me join and release a lot more media to let people know exactly how the mod is going, not releasing no media in months and won't let us know the 'secret' that some classes have, like it's the best feature any mod EVER has had. Haha.
Wow, please refrain from speaking.
o_sensai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 07:53 PM   #16
o_mescalito

it's shtoofa's fan. extremly retared one, but still a fan.
like some smartass ones said any publicity is a good publicity (? )

Old 03-07-2006, 07:56 PM   #17
o_thedarkone

"Each weapon is modelled and skinned to perfection, with the tiniest details included."

The word 'gushing' comes to mind. :P Still, it was a good Q&A.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 08:26 PM   #18
o_valk

Quote:
Originally Posted by skuDZ
So schtoofa doesn't do a damn thing, but tell what goes where and what not? LMAO. I could do that. If that's all you do, why do you act like such a business man when it comes to releasing info in the dev journals and media releases?

Let me join and release a lot more media to let people know exactly how the mod is going, not releasing no media in months and won't let us know the 'secret' that some classes have, like it's the best feature any mod EVER has had. Haha.
did it hurt when u were dropped on ur head ?
o_valk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #19
o_coldy

I agree with everything SkuDZ says.

Wait, no I don't. Shit, that was a major faux pas.
o_coldy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2006, 09:16 PM   #20
o_dr zoidberg

to the reloading thing i think, when you reload the RL its a bit dodgy, they fixed that, and to teh world i think it wont put in like 6 rockets just couse the player did something to "delay" the reload? maby?

and the gazell's ARNT in??? ffs...

and whats DX9 and that shit?
im buying a new comp but i dont know squat about video cards, is geforce 6800 good?
o_dr zoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote