Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 08-03-2006, 01:23 AM   #1
o_zoe

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
$0.02 Admission Fee: FF_Clover (sketchwork)

I'm the kind of person that has to wait for creativity to strike. When it does, I try to get as much down while I can. Today, I finally took some of my ideas for a map to a sketching program. Here area couple of overview shots:

Full Directory: http://www.kilobrett.com/files/clover/
Note: If you have SketchUP Pro, the save file is located in the directory listed above. Though I haven't tried it, you can probably open the same file in Google's free version of SketchUp. Feel free to view and edit and all that.
__________________________________________________ ______________

More: http://www.kilobrett.com/files/clover/Picture%2011.png

Core Gameplay at the Clover
This map focuses on a pit, much like redgiant. Istead of having just one descending shaft, this map has three shafts arranged in a clover shape. Also, each shaft descends to a different depth.
During play, the flag will start at the lowest "leaf" of the clover. After each cap, the flag will rotate counter-clockwise to the next leaf. After the third cap, it's back at the bottom. The twist is that flags on higher leaves will count for less points for the team. So far, I'm not certain if the player will get less points or not.

Stem/Center Crack
The "stem" of the clover is a pit that runs all the way down the map. It divides the battlements neatly in two, giving anyone with a conc a clear shot at the clover.
The deal is, if you fall in, you're fucking dead. No whiney babies.
If you look closely, you might see that the clover openly connects to the stem/crack. So, please be careful when tossing the flag. Also, don't miss your conc coming in or out

Oh My God, It's One Big Ramp Room!
The whole thing looks a little flat with just the clover and stem. Redgiant really leaves you in a hole when it comes to DM, since there is such little room to run around (lest you be right next to the shaft).
So here, I decided to give the entire place a little more elevation. The O can come in and have a chance with DM. Depending on SG placement, it could provide even provide them some cover.
Not to spoil the O, I tried to use the elevation to neatly place SGs.

The Spawn
The spawn is the tall teardrop looking thing under the future battlements. It has an a door at each end and will instantly refill everything. More than likely, there will be some kind of cutsie laser beams you wall through. Behold, for I am a nade whore making the spawn for a new map!

The Cap Point
None of us know anything about gameplay in FF, so I tried to prepare by moving the cap point behind the battlements. If the O seems to have a real advantage, the resupply at the cap point will be removed or kept to a minimum. Any O wanting a resup will have to travel to the other side of the base (up stairs and over the crack, etc).
But, if this doesn't turn out to be a rape-fantasy gangbang for the offense, there's no reason a cap won't offer a full resupply.

The Well is Dry
I do feel a little bad coming to the community with nothing but a bunch of boxy sketches, but I ran out of ideas. I'd like to invite everyone to offer suggestions and speak with me on irc (#drunks, #smr) about where this map could go. As you can probably tell from the images, the entire front, battlements, and yard are missing. If you've got an idea or comment, hit this thing up.

Timelines and Deadlines
This map will really have to fit the scale of the game, particularly rocket jumps and concs. If the shaft is too deep for a single conc or the air turning power of the light classes too weak, I'll have to make big changes to the scale of this thing. On top of this concern, I have to make sure I can do all this flag nonsene in LUA. I trust the Devs mean it when they say anything, but we'll have to see. So, no beta until a while after FF rolls out

Edit: Sorry for the wide shots -- I'll have some thumbnails up in a bit
o_zoe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 01:56 AM   #2
o_tennovan

I like the sketches so far but its hard for me to visualize. I hope you can get a rough design made so that we can see some screenshots. I'd be very interested to see how something like this plays.
o_tennovan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:08 AM   #3
o_bumgravy

looks very flat... VIS problems and sniper-whoring
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:30 AM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I'd guesstimate that his sketch is pretty flat because its a sketch. I'd imagine he'd have walls up at least.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:33 AM   #5
o_bumgravy

needs a wee stickman for bettr perspective, not sure how to take the doors or CPs scale.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:45 AM   #6
o_nezumi

Holy crap, what have you done!?

... And I mean that in a good way.

By the way, how do you get out of the flag pit?
o_nezumi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #7
o_yoda891

I like the concept of the map– just don't make the stem be open-topped. If you go in, there should be no way to get out other than going back in the clover or out of it in the yard(assuming that is where it will lead.) Also, Try and keep the look you have in the sketches; being flat isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially as many people would like to see the sniper as a class that can do more than pop a few skulls in the yard. Subtle changes in the terrain should block vis enough that an sg would not dominate anything that comes through.

Also, will there be a waterway?
o_yoda891 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 02:47 AM   #8
o_zoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nezumi
Holy crap, what have you done!?

... And I mean that in a good way.

By the way, how do you get out of the flag pit?
There will be ladders at the flat edges between the leaves. The best bet would be to conc out in one try or do some tossing between the different levels to work it out.

As for "flat," I had mentioned in my post that the battlements were where I had stopped. I had also mentioned that if you fall in the stem, you die (like falling into an abyss).

There's no waterway yet, but I've been thinking about adding another way in. Right now, it seems like it's easy enough to get near the flags.

Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #9
o_addicted to morphine

I like it, and I like Sketchup. Looks cool.

I think it'll work, and I like open FRs.
o_addicted to morphine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 10:14 AM   #10
o_player

Your map is looking really really nice, or the sketchwork is, atleast. There are many possibilities for themes, which is always positive. It does, however, look like it could possibly turn into an fps problem when things get a little more active, that is if I have the maps' scale correct so you should think of ways to sort this problem out; placing walls in places to block VIS where necessary and so on. Also, your flagroom looks interesting as I like pits/vertical differences for flagrooms eg. 2mesa3 and RedGiant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoe
There will be ladders at the flat edges between the leaves. The best bet would be to conc out in one try or do some tossing between the different levels to work it out.
Instead of having ladders there, I suggest using gravity lifts. Atleast they will then have a chance to get out of the pit without relying on their conc that can and does fail on unwanted occassions :P
o_player is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 11:01 AM   #11
Defrag
Retired FF Staff

Looks cool and different, but the premise of putting flags in a pit is a shaky one unless the pit has various sections to protect from the inevitable spamfest. Redgiant works because the pit is large, and unless the carrier is killed immediately upon grabbing the flag, there's a lot of room to move around and areas to hide / pause. If your pit is just a central tube with three lifts, I can't see any kind of defense setup other than several demos and a HW spamming the pit :P

Old 08-03-2006, 11:40 AM   #12
o_ghost

Either that or in the case of TFC Spies just having a team of them constantly spamming gas grenades down there making it impossible for anything to get down the pit.

I agree with defrag. Flags in pits can get messy. It's one of the reasons why Badlands isn't played in TFC leagues. It's just too east to spam the pit. Sure, Badlands is a popular pub map but that's just cause a lot of people are content to just play sniper in the canyon area.
o_ghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-03-2006, 01:45 PM   #13
o_zoe

I'm probably going to give each pit a good range of surface area, like redgiant, for movement. I think that these three things will slow the spam fest:

1. You can toss the flag to different (higher) leaves on the clover
2. The pit will be a one conc escape
3. Potentially limited gren respawn

The FPS situation is one that I'm thinking about. Part of the purpose of this sketch was to figure out where and how many polys I actually want to implement, particularly on the curves. I don't have any real solution yet, or even know if I'll have much of a problem to solve.
Behind the battlements, I want to keep the walls to a minimum to support movement and dm. After I have the sketch done, the battlements (above and in front of the spawn) should nearly conceal the entire FR and be about two or three stories tall.