Old 05-12-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
{kd} KoRniLLiAn
D&A Member

Class/Position: sniper or soldier....demo is fun too when i'm bored
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [o-t]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Exclamation why i like playing on [o-t] servers

Well...tbh...the main and only reason i play there....i like the non assholes that play there....as for TALOS...they called me a fag and a nigger...i am NOT a fag or a nigger..and i am NOT a racist.....and will never play on a server that allows members to call other people names and no one even cared...i asked a admin about it one day back in april..here is a quote from that day .."well...your not a nigger are you....cause we don't like them".....WOW....REALLY?.....and then they wonder why they get banned from a good server like the [o-t].....LOL...i have my own server...but it is LOw gravity....tbh the only reason i play anywhere else is because there wasn't a low G server till i made one...and i played on the [o-t] server for about a year and made some friends that are NOT racists...i love them for that..lol......N E ways....i will be away for a while because i had a house fire 2 weeks ago...but i had insurence and should be back in order before too long.....once again...thank you [o-t] for a awsome server and boycott TALOS they are racist.......I know this is just one mans opinion....but i am sure i am not the first person to be treated this way by TALOS and will not be the last.

Thank you for your time

Old 05-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #2
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Yeah man. They all flaming o-t but they are being assholes themselves.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Old 05-12-2010, 05:35 PM   #3
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Really, anytime I played on the Talos server, I'm treated with the utmost respect.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 05-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #4
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
And he's black!

I play on the talos server a lot, and I very rarely see people name calling or being racist. Which leads me to believe that the people who say these things are just overly sensitive to a typical game's smack talk, and take stuff too personally, and are just looking for another reason to justify the the strict policies O-T's have. Sometimes there's some random no named guy spouting off his mouth, but ya, ignoring those people just isn't possible is it?

I rarely played on the OT's server to begin with, not because of their rules, but because maps lasting 45 minutes just sucked.

But seriously, do you honestly think a thread like this is going to last more than a day before it's required to get locked down?

Old 05-12-2010, 05:55 PM   #5
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
dear journal, those guys at talos are serious jerks.

Old 05-12-2010, 07:50 PM   #6
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
I just find it funny that people blame OT for killing FF because they have rules and except for the racist words people are not banned instantly as some have tried to claim they have been, yet over on Talos there is racist crap thats said.

I used to play there, but I don't bother anymore cause of the racist crap. Maybe its changed I don't know, they drove me away from playing there because of the racist crap being said.

IF its server environment running people away from FF then its places that allow racist crap to happen that are doing the most harm.

Again maybe Talos has changed a little and there aren't as many racist crap spouting idiots there anymore, if so great, but when I played there every game had idiots and I had to mute nearly everyone many times.

You can also have smack talk without swearing, racist crap, and being down right insulting. I know I do it all the time on OT, I do it on korns server too when I play there.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
cjeshjoir™
1-800-UNAGIPOWA

Gametype: AvD, Spirit of TFC
Affiliations: ™.AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to cjeshjoir™ Send a message via Skype™ to cjeshjoir™
yeah, those talos poopieheads have stinky butt faces in the toilet, cheers o-t

" In my opinion the testing team isn't really made for or of public players, it's made for competative players... " ¹ -Scuzzy (post# 462713)

Old 05-12-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
I just find it funny that people blame OT for killing FF because they have rules and except for the racist words people are not banned instantly as some have tried to claim they have been, yet over on Talos there is racist crap thats said.

I used to play there, but I don't bother anymore cause of the racist crap. Maybe its changed I don't know, they drove me away from playing there because of the racist crap being said.

IF its server environment running people away from FF then its places that allow racist crap to happen that are doing the most harm.

Again maybe Talos has changed a little and there aren't as many racist crap spouting idiots there anymore, if so great, but when I played there every game had idiots and I had to mute nearly everyone many times.

You can also have smack talk without swearing, racist crap, and being down right insulting. I know I do it all the time on OT, I do it on korns server too when I play there.
lol, really bro?

The simple fact is, TALOS allows people to freely express themselves. If that includes what you see as 'racism', then so be it. You're not forced to play there, and you're not forced to accept other's viewpoints. If you don't like it, that's fine, but really bro, comparing us to OT is a joke. This thread is an example of one person (find more, if there are some) complaining about the free speech on the TALOS server. However, I can find many more people complaining about being banned from OT for inconsequential things. Like, for example, making a video of an OT admin playing boringly. THE HORROR!!!

Some people are sensitive to words that society says are 'bad'. Most people who play video games don't care. That's why most TALOS regulars not only don't care if someone says 'nigger' a lot, chances are, they'll join in, because it's a modern-age online term of endearment. It's not meant in an actual racist connotation, it's just a part of the sub-culture on the internet, that's closely tied in with 4chan.

The TALOS issue comes down to something very simple. It's repeated in popular culture. People hear about a game, a movie, or popular TV show host (A recent example is Glenn Beck), and they try and get it shutdown (In the case of Glenn Beck, a bunch of dumbass liberals tried to pressure advertisers to stop with FOX) and get others to boycott watching him. That's basically what this thread is. If you see or hear something you don't like, you think it should be banned, and if that weren't enough, you think it should be boycotted. At the core, issues like this can be summed up in one word: Petty. It's beyond petty.

It's simple, if you don't like to read/hear/see something, you have the choice to not. But don't impose your views on everyone else, and don't try and force others to boycott something because you think it's wrong. TALOS has demonstrated it's popularity, it's consistently the most popular server, and it often runs in the wee hours of the late night/early morning.

Sorry, but there's no comparison between TALOS and OT, Gwar. That's what you call a false equivalency. Stop being intellectually dishonest.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:00 PM   #9
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Some people are sensitive to words that society says are 'bad'. Most people who play video games don't care. That's why most TALOS regulars not only don't care if someone says 'nigger' a lot, chances are, they'll join in
I don't agree with that word at all, you won't catch me saying it or typing it. But other people saying it or typing it while i'm playing doesn't bother me cause I just ignore it.

I use the mute function A LOT, I don't mute people solely on the words they're using, I mute people if I find their mic usage annoying. There's lots of people in Talos I like, and have nothing against at all, yet they can be muted more than 50% of the time lol.

As for text chat, unless it's walls of useless spam that you just can't ignore, I miss a lot of typed text, just cause I don't pay attention to it.

Old 05-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #10
[TALOS]Sgt

Class/Position: Engi / D
Affiliations: [TALOS]
I'm sorry to say if you do not like the full openness of our server you don't have to attend we have always had open servers without much for rules or guide lines. Sadly to say out of everyone in TALOS the closest one to being a racist would be myself for the fact of one side of my family is in the KKK. I do not participate the activities or will have any part to with that part of the family. The use of Nigger is not in the racist form in most contexts.

nig·ger
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.

In this manner it has nothing to do with being racist it has to do with an incompetent person such as your normal person that grabs the flag and wont cap it.

If you have any more complaints about "bad" words well just don't join. Thank you for reading.

[TALOS]Sgt

Old 05-12-2010, 10:44 PM   #11
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
fuck I am so hurt

stop saying the n-word in this thread! this is a GAME forum!

Old 05-12-2010, 11:29 PM   #12
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
http://www.tfd.com/nigger

Quote:
nig·ger (ngr)
n. Offensive Slang
a. Used as a disparaging term for a Black person: "You can only be destroyed by believing that you really are what the white world calls a nigger" (James Baldwin).
b. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any dark-skinned people.
2. Used as a disparaging term for a member of any socially, economically, or politically deprived group of people.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/nigger
Quote:
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive.
a.
a black person.
b.
a member of any dark-skinned people.
Slang: Extremely Disparaging and Offensive. a person of any race or origin regarded as contemptible, inferior, ignorant, etc.
a victim of prejudice similar to that suffered by blacks; a person who is economically, politically, or socially disenfranchised.
I don't care who uses the word, black or white, or how its used its offensive. Claiming not to be racist yet using that word just makes you look silly. The word is very deeply entrenched in the bowels of racism. Just because you believe you are using it in a "non-offensive" way doesn't mean everyone else sees it that way.

And it would be fine and dandy about people not joining your server if they don't like whats said there, but there are people in these forums that try to blame all the problems with not enough people in FF on the OT server because they have rules that they enforce and don't say a word about Talos and how you allow racist words.

And many times they do it by lying, saying that they were banned without any warning and that they didn't do anything wrong then get upset and abusive when the logs are shown and then they try to claim Scuzzy is lying.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:31 PM   #13
{kd} KoRniLLiAn
D&A Member

Class/Position: sniper or soldier....demo is fun too when i'm bored
Affiliations: [o-t]
Quote:
Originally Posted by [TALOS]Sgt View Post
I'm sorry to say if you do not like the full openness of our server you don't have to attend we have always had open servers without much for rules or guide lines. Sadly to say out of everyone in TALOS the closest one to being a racist would be myself for the fact of one side of my family is in the KKK. I do not participate the activities or will have any part to with that part of the family. The use of Nigger is not in the racist form in most contexts.

nig·ger

In this manner it has nothing to do with being racist it has to do with an incompetent person such as your normal person that grabs the flag and wont cap it.

If you have any more complaints about "bad" words well just don't join. Thank you for reading.

[TALOS]Sgt

WELL....when the person person being called the name does nothing more than speak....what would you call it?....i call it racism

Old 05-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #14
Flea Market Fury

Class/Position: Medic- O; Demo/Engy- D
Affiliations: [TALOS]
Wow, the internet can be such a childish place.

There are going to be times when you see things you do not enjoy on the internet. When that happens, its unfortunate, but its also easily possible for you to move on from that experience. Korn, it was unfortunate that you were offended on The Talos Group server and it is unfortunate that this sort of thing does happen. However, equally as ridiculous as it was to call you a nigger is the part where you create a thread on FF forums rehashing an argument that will never be resolved.

The simple fact of the matter is, the server is NOT [o-t], nor is it your low grav server. Perhaps, you didn't realize that when you tried to judge what happened based upon what YOU think should happen. The majority of the regulars on The Talos Group server never use the word 'nigger' in any context and very rarely flame other players. The fact that you wish to take from your fleeting experience with The Talos Group server only one portion of what happened while you were there is asinine.

Don't judge a book by its cover fella, read a couple of pages.

And, get over your self- righteous attitude and stop wasting forum space. I am sure your own record of internet gaming and general interaction with humans must be pristine in order for you to run your mouth against an entire group based upon the actions of a few. <sarcasm>

[TALOS]Flea

Old 05-13-2010, 12:29 AM   #15
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
You're all a bunch of niggers...

P.S. I love how you can bash [TALOS] but utter one word about [o-t], or the dev team for that matter, and "OH LORD, HOLD IT RIGHT THERE, WE GOT A FLAMER HERE!", followed abruptly by deletion of posts, threads, sense(since? lol).

Last edited by PartialSchism; 05-13-2010 at 12:30 AM. Reason: hurr quotes

Old 05-13-2010, 12:38 AM   #16
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Let's notice the administrative double standard here. If this thread were not making an appeal to the Old Timers server and were instead being critical of it, we all know where that would have led. However, because it's another server in the crosshair, I guess the administrative team feels it's okay to let it pass. It doesn't bother me that people are critical of our server. In fact, I find it healthy and worthwhile. I wouldn't want this thread locked. I'm just saying, how's that inconsistency feel? How's that double standard feel? You can't hide it now. Roll out the excuses.

Words are merely words. They only become offensive through intention, usage, behavior, and context. If I call a door a nigger after stubbing my toe on it, we would all agree that I'm not being racist because my intention was to express my temporary frustration and not belittle an individual or group of individuals of a specific racial group. In the same sense, we would all agree that I would be unjustified in calling the author of this post a racist or homophobe simply because he used the words nigger and faggot to clue the readers in on the 'abuse' he was receiving. I am not okay in making those judgements or coming to those conclusion, but he and everyone else is free to perpetuate the same fallacious method of thinking by instantly presuming simply because a word was used on the Talos server, the entire Talos group and its followers must be racist immediately. Good luck getting by in life thinking like that.

The simple fact is that words are words, and they are only offensive if you personally choose to take offense to them. I am homosexual. I get called a faggot all the time. I call people a faggot all the time. I used to take offense to these words, and when I heard them or saw them, I felt immediately insulted. That was before I realized I was only being offended because I choose to take offense. Once I learned that I could easily devalue those words in my own mind and could stop giving credence to the word, I stopped giving a shit. People are only victims if they choose to be victims. Words are only offensive if you choose to take offense. Of course, words have definitions that may be offensive, but at the end of the day, you can choose to not find them offensively. It's like learning a new language. The offensive words in a new language don't seem so bad to you even though they have an negative definition in the language you're learning. Why? Because, you remain indifferent to the word. It doesn't mean anything to you yet, until you program it in your little brain that this word is supposed to offend you.

As Flea stated, not everyone is going to agree with you. Not everyone is going to consider your feelings. You can continue to live a sheltered existence on the (fucking) internet (for christ sake) where everyone is nice to you and you're shielded from reality, but that doesn't change reality. You might consider the people on Talos as immature for so openly using curse words and slurs and whatnot. I see it differently. I think they're the most mature individuals, because they stopped being ruled over by fucking words. They stopped having trivial shit impact them. They grew up. When will you grow up? O-T is family friendly to protect minors, but it seems to just as equally be a safety net for adults who haven't grown up as well.

If you are called a nigger, and you are not black, then how in the world could it be racist? It could be offensive, but how could it be racist? It sounds to me like the typical case of political correctness and indoctrination. Every time the word nigger is used, the white individual must be critical of it. He must further himself away from he word all out of fear of being labeled a racist. You sacrifice so much for that little avoidance. Meanwhile, the black individual can use words like cracker and honky even nigger toward their own kind, as Jared Taylor pointed out, with impunity. If not being a bitch, not having words dictate my life, being grown up to brush this shit off, to take criticism, and so on makes me a racist then call me a racist.

Life isn't rainbows and sunshine, so stop expecting such. Enjoy your tailoring in the Old Timers server. I hope that artificial reality is enjoyable for you. We in Talos will be living in the real world.
User received an infraction for this post

Old 05-13-2010, 12:45 AM   #17
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
I don't care who uses the word, black or white, or how its used its offensive. Claiming not to be racist yet using that word just makes you look silly. The word is very deeply entrenched in the bowels of racism. Just because you believe you are using it in a "non-offensive" way doesn't mean everyone else sees it that way.
No matter how it's used, it's offensive? So if I use the word cock in the context of livestock farming, I must always be making an appeal toward the definition of the word from a sexual sense and thus am being offensive? Do you consider formal definitions the only definitions of words? People are unable to have informal definitions?

What about the original poster. He used the word. By your logic, he's a racist. I guess he should be infracted for racism. Gwars, please, do the honors and report his post for racism. Will you do it? Are you concrete in your own opinions or are words only racist when people you don't like use them?

Last edited by Bridget; 05-13-2010 at 12:46 AM. Reason: Sentence fuck-up

Old 05-13-2010, 12:56 AM   #18
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

Wanted to give talos a chance to reply now that they have it's done. Certain people always turn threads into a shit fest. And no we don't lock them right away we until the shit fest starts to give you kids a chance to act accordingly.

Closed Thread