Old 08-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Paft
Beta Tester

Class/Position: [O] Med
Gametype: CTF/Skills
Posts Rated Helpful 67 Times
[Major noob moment] External HDD Permitions

OK,

my sister has got a new laptop [I put Win7 on] and I can't get her external working on it for the life of me. I've tried fannying around with permissions but, nothing.

I am obviously not doing it right. So help please!

It shows up but can't access it. "Access denied"

The HDD itself works, it shows up fine on her XP system.
Also, it's working on my Win 7 machine, so f*ck knows. I'm a bit ditsy today.

Thanks.

Last edited by Paft; 08-19-2009 at 02:08 PM.
Paft is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
I haven't gotten a chance to look at windows 7 yet so I have no idea how it works.

But I'd try first plugging it into the Xp system and changing the permissions.

Not sure you can do it with XP home, but in XP pro you can open up any folder go to folder options, select the view tab and scroll all the way to the bottom and uncheck the "Use simple file sharing (recommended) option.

Then right click the external drive itself and go to properties and then Security tab, and Add.

Type the name "Everyone" then click the "Check Name button", it should come back with Everyone. THen click OK.

Then try it in the Windows 7 system.

If that didn't work I'd then try giving ownership to the account on the windows 7 system.

I'd do that by right clicking the drive, go to properties, choose security (same method before to get advanced file sharing options by unchecking the file sharing option), then at the bottom click advanced. On the new window click the Owner tab, and select the current user from the list, check the Replace owner on subcontainers and objects option at the bottom then hit okay.

Again this is all said not knowing Windows 7's setup, but that's what I'd try first if it were XP Pro.
Hammock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Phatman
n00bsauce

Class/Position: Soldier/Pyro/ThatOneJerk
Gametype: Anything that involves killing
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via AIM to Phatman Send a message via MSN to Phatman
I've had external drives play fine in Windows 7 in the way of reading it. However, deleting, moving, and such required that I gave it permission to do so before doing whatever I told it to.

It should pick it up fine. However, one question, is the hard drive FAT32 or NTFS?
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-19-2009, 04:08 PM   #4
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
From my exp with Windows 7, when it finds it doesn't have permitions it gives you a little button so it will automatically give you permissions

The drive is probably NTFS. You have to log into the drive using the username/password that was used when copying over the data. I'm guessing you dumped her full user data or something of that sort on the HDD and windows copied permissions.

Old 08-19-2009, 05:14 PM   #5
Paft
Beta Tester

I had just started reading about setting to 'everyone' after this post. It worked.

Thanks chaps.

Old 08-19-2009, 11:06 PM   #6
Paft
Beta Tester

It was odd because, I had already tried selecting the current user (administrator & administrators) from the list before this thread, but still couldn't access it.

Anyway, it's fine, that's what matters.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:43 AM   #7
Phatman
n00bsauce

May have been because it was set with XP permissions and since it was an external drive it doesn't carry over to 7 unless upgraded, which as we know, we can't upgrade from XP. WHY?!?!?

Old 08-20-2009, 02:22 AM   #8
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
May have been because it was set with XP permissions and since it was an external drive it doesn't carry over to 7 unless upgraded, which as we know, we can't upgrade from XP. WHY?!?!?
Um, no.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:11 PM   #9
Phatman
n00bsauce

Fine, be that way. :P

Old 08-31-2009, 11:07 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
The permissions should not have anything to do with it. That is unless you got in there and starte screwing around with stuff. Those external drives are just like an internal drive, their just on the outside of the system.

If you plug it into a USB port, and the system does not detect it, take it back and exchange it.

Just one question, will a jump drive work on that same usb port? If so, and the external drive does not work - it might be defective.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:20 PM   #11
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Engineer (D and O)
Gametype: CTF
Right click on the main folder or drive and hit properties. Go to the security tab and go in to advanced. Go under the owner tab and click edit. Select your user account and hit replace owner on subcontainers and objects and hit apply. You'll have full permissions to everything on the drive. Then add everyone with full permissions and you wont ever have a problem.
Epidemic is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-02-2009, 11:22 PM   #12
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
You couldn't upgrade NT to XP so why would you expect to upgrade from two operating systems back? You're lucky you're not european. They can't even upgrade to 7 from Vista because of their antitrust with Microsoft and forcing them to remove Internet Explorer from the OS.

Old 09-02-2009, 11:54 PM   #13
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Actually, you can upgrade from NT to XP Pro.
In fact, you can upgrade from Win 98, Win 98 SE, and Win Me to XP Home or Pro. You can upgrade from Win NT 4.0 and Win 2000 up to XP Pro (because those are business version.)

With Vista, MS started enforcing a strict policy on only upgrading from the exact previous version. While fresh installs are ALWAYS better, there really is no good reason that XP can't be upgraded to 7.

Last edited by Mooga; 09-02-2009 at 11:55 PM.
Mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-03-2009, 12:17 AM   #14
Epidemic
Beta Tester

Ok, I stand corrected. Microsoft just became more Nazish as usual.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:02 AM   #15
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
With Vista, MS started enforcing a strict policy on only upgrading from the exact previous version. While fresh installs are ALWAYS better, there really is no good reason that XP can't be upgraded to 7.
Actually, upgrading from XP to Windows 7, while the actual upgrade is allowable, requires a clean install (at least at this point):

From http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/0...grade-possible

Quote:
Microsoft has confirmed that customers can purchase upgrade media and an upgrade license at a discounted price to move from Windows XP to Windows 7. However, customers need to do a clean installation of Windows 7. The pricing details of XP upgrade licenses are not yet known.

An operating system upgrade offers users the option of choosing between in-place upgrades, with installed applications & data in-place in the machine and a fresh installation which overwrites the hard drive's contents. By eliminating in-place upgrades, users can have a reliable installation after backing up all their data and applications. But still considering the huge number of XP systems in use, it is going to be a tedious upgrade as a lot of backup has to be done.

Microsoft has been working on ways to help Windows XP users make the move by providing other tools and ways to get through upgrade process, but declines to provide further details on how it intends to simplify the upgrade process.

and from http://www.computerworld.com/s/artic...P_to_Windows_7

Quote:
Can I upgrade from Windows XP straight to Windows 7? You betcha. And no, you don't have make Vista a middleman.
There's always a catch. What's the catch this time? Unlike people running Vista, you can't do an "in-place" upgrade from XP to Windows 7 (even though that was offered as an upgrade choice to Vista, and Microsoft's bragged numerous times about how Windows 7 "is Vista, a lot better."
Presumably, Microsoft doesn't want to repeat the drama -- and complaints -- that XP users generated when they threw up their hands over in-place upgrades to Vista. It hinted as much in an April post to the "Engineering Windows 7" blog: "We realized at the start of this project that the 'upgrade' from XP would not be an experience we think would yield the best results. There are simply too many changes in how PCs have been configured (applets, hardware support, driver model, etc.) that having all of that support carry forth to Windows 7 would not be nearly as high quality as a clean install."
Whatever the reasons, you'll have to do what's called a "clean" install of Windows 7, which means you'll need to restore backed up data, recreate settings throughout Windows and reinstall all applications. ("Clean install" isn't a choice on the Windows 7 install-type selection screen; you'll pick "Custom" from the two-option list.)

Here is one step by step guide (for the RC version):

http://www.blogsdna.com/3217/step-by...-windows-7.htm

Quote:
Few Points to Note:
1. Above guide will only help you in keeping Windows XP Profiles and Settings however you will need to reinstall all your programs in Windows 7
2. You can clean up all files of previous Windows installations using Disk cleanup
You can however upgrade in-place from Vista to Win7.

Last edited by SomeOldGuy; 09-03-2009 at 11:08 AM.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote