We're all friendly people behind our assholishness, trust me

Old 09-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #62
Caseman

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur
Whassya talking about? That's just boh.

We're all friendly people behind our assholishness, trust me
Don't worry, the Hidden:Source forums are worse.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:47 AM   #63
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
LOL FF is being pwned by TFC right now. Not a good look.

LOL CS:S is being pwned by CS right now. Not a good look.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:07 AM   #64
4est
Fortress Forever Staff

Send a message via Yahoo to 4est
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseman
Why does everyone here bash every other game, then gets defensive about their mod? I know, obviously it's your forums, but you're not the nicest community out there
He wasn't bashing them. He was using the example of CS:S not exceeding the number of players in CS to show that games don't just immediately climb to the top or fail.

Communities have to grow and develop.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:14 AM   #65
Mike.Gayner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabre
how long did it take CS:S to get more players than the original CS?
That would only be a fair comparison if CS were already DEAD when CS:S was released - FF is currently behind the dead/dying (depending on your perspective) TFC. Conversely, CS:S has been unable (despite it's massive popularity) to exceed the player base of the still-incredibly-popular CS.

Old 09-23-2007, 03:24 AM   #66
barronofhellion

my reply, ff is fun
barronofhellion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 09:55 AM   #67
diablo`-
Rocket p00nz

Class/Position: soldier
Gametype: skillz ;)
the big difference imo is that cs is still a way better game then css.

that said, the stats on FF disappoint me too.
diablo`- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:22 AM   #68
Sabre
Creg

Well when you grow up you'll realise that patience is a virtue, 3rd party mods can't bombarde the general public like valve with adverts etc you have to be patient and build a player base over time. As any of the devs or anyone with the slightest clue would tell you, over 600 players (according to the kids screenshot) and 300 servers within a week is a massive achievement for a 3rd party mod. If 6 months from now these figures have dropped, then yes it won't be looking good, however if they have grown it will look extremely positive for the future. Comparing offical valve game statistics to a 3rd party mod within it's first week is just moronic and means nothing, the only reason you are posting such rubbish is that you're an immature twat that trying to put the mod down.

p.s. if TFC is/was dead why are 700 people playing?

Last edited by 4est; 09-23-2007 at 12:17 PM.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 10:33 AM   #69
Nuke

I think 600 of them are bots in TFC ...
Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 11:18 AM   #70
yfni_

It's a good game but not enough is being done to boost it's popularity.

*FFdev need to hire a pr-manager or atleast someone capable to the job.
(volunteer ofcourse) Not just the average banner crap. Creative thinking is needed.

* Open up donations monitored and managed by someone the community trusts and knows like defrag.

* create a subforum for what's being done and so people know what's being done with their cash.

That would be a good start.

It's really sad to see that people expect a game to grow just because it's a good game. The world has changed.
yfni_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 11:21 AM   #71
Mike.Gayner

Quote:
Well when you grow up you'll realise that patience is a virtue, 3rd party mods can't bombarde the general public like valve with adverts etc you have to be patient and build a player base over time. As any of the devs or anyone with the slightest clue would tell you, over 600 players (according to the kids screenshot) and 300 servers within a week is a massive achievement for a 3rd party mod. If 6 months from now these figures have dropped, then yes it won't be looking good, however if they have grown it will look extremely positive for the future. Comparing offical valve game statistics to a 3rd party mod within it's first week is just moronic and means nothing, the only reason you are posting such rubbish is that you're an immature twat that trying to put the mod down.

p.s. if TFC is/was dead why are 700 people playing imbecile?
Lest we forget that TF2 is also only a week old....

Old 09-23-2007, 11:22 AM   #72
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yfni_
It's a good game but not enough is being done to boost it's popularity.

*FFdev need to hire a pr-manager or atleast someone capable to the job.
(volunteer ofcourse) Not just the average banner crap. Creative thinking is needed.

* Open up donations monitored and managed by someone the community trusts and knows like defrag.

* create a subforum for what's being done and so people know what's being done with their cash.

That would be a good start.

It's really sad to see that people expect a game to grow just because it's a good game. The world has changed.
I have a feeling some decent PR will be done once they have the training mode in, the slight class imbalances fixed, and the game crashing bugs worked out.

Until then, we just have to enjoy it (somewhat) alone, because new players need that training mode badly.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #73
Sabre
Creg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike.Gayner
Lest we forget that TF2 is also only a week old....
You're comparing a 3rd party mod with an offical valve game that has had unlimited time and resources thrown at advertising the game and forcing it down every steam users neck for the past however many months. At first i thought you were just trying to be annoying but i think you may just be thick... or very young, most likely both.
Sabre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 11:52 AM   #74
Elkz
Drum & Bass

Location: ...the fish that doesn't swim is the badger like his shoes without.
Quote:
You're comparing a 3rd party mod with an offical valve game that has had unlimited time and resources thrown at advertising the game and forcing it down every steam users neck for the past however many months. At first i thought you were just trying to be annoying but i think you may just be thick... or very young, most likely both.
Creg: Are we reforming?
Elkz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 12:25 PM   #75
beans

I agree with Sabres comments, look at Valves marketing even before Steam; bundled "free" games on the back of existing titles. I got CSS with HL2 and this is what initially made me try CSS, I would haven't bothered to try if I had to wait and download, free or otherwise.

Now on the Steam platform, initally Valve sold Ep2 AS the game and you were "given" Portal & TF2 with it. And they're still doing it, BUY Orange Box and we'll give you a "free" beta of TF2.

EP2 and Portal both got trailers, again reaching every Steam user worldwide and will very likely have sparked interest. TF2 got 1 inital trailer and then they kept on releasing them at intervals to keep on reminding you of its existance.

Valve have a financial interest in their products, the popularity of the TF2 beta only serves to prove to other developers, our system of marketing and distributing works so use us if you want to be sucessful!

I dont see how including grenades is any more elitest than any other TF title, people took the time to learn those skills, which at some point you would think more new people will do so also. Lets take rocket launchers out of a Quake game because well its elitest to have people rocket jumping everywhere but the new guys can't because they haven't learnt how to yet...

The only advertising FF has had is from other free websites and I think they've been in a mag?? Like... TFC! Another free mod which Valve didn't advertise even a 1/4 as much as they have TF2, so for a week old mod to be within the same player bracket (6-7 hundred) as its predecessor is nothing to turn your nose at.

And buggy? I've yet to encounter a bug which has actually the game being played out. So for a free independant mod, I'd say damn good job!
beans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 01:09 PM   #76
benjpac

Here are the statistics of the TF community on steam:

84% are playing TF2
9% are playing TFC
7% are playing FF

I honestly don't see how this mod can possibly get a larger player base. After playing FF and TF2 extensively, I simply do not see why anyone would have more fun playing FF. It feels like a worse version of TFC to me... and most people are pretty bored of TFC and want a fresher TF. If that % gets above 10% within the next few weeks or even months.. I will be astonished.

Last edited by benjpac; 09-23-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #77
rebo

Benjpac, thats interesting but I dont think it's representative of the 'TF Community' Before TF2 was released TFC had just the same amount of players as it has now.

I.e. 4 thousand players didnt just move to TF2, those 4 thousand players are _new_ players.

And this can only be a good thing for Team Fortress in general and hopefully some of those players will filter down into FF.
rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 01:56 PM   #78
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
^ What rebo said.

I'm actually v impressed by FF's player numbers so far, I wasn't expecting nearly so many this early on. Imo the real test is 1 year from now, when the game has been tweaked and polished and the community has had a chance to make a load more decent maps. Mods don't just become big overnight (for example, look how long cs took to get good and then get the player numbers up). I think TF2 could work out being great for FF, as it gets a hell of a lot of new ppl interested in TF in general, who then might hopefully check out FF in the coming years if they want a much faster deeper more player skill orientated TF game.

Last edited by caesium; 09-23-2007 at 02:02 PM.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-2007, 02:14 PM   #79
benjpac

Quote:
I think TF2 could work out being great for FF, as it gets a hell of a lot of new ppl interested in TF in general, who then might hopefully check out FF in the coming years if they want a much faster deeper more player skill orientated TF game.
How does FF take more skill than TF2 exactly? I played in top tfc clans, which is pretty much exactly the same as FF.. and I have no idea how you can figure that FF takes more skill and is "deeper" than TF2. TF2 has much more unique classes that rely on each other to be effective. The team aspect of the game is so strong that I predict it being extremely competitive in league play. FF gives us nothing we haven't already seen in TFC... and honestly.. FF feels worse than TFC does... why even play it over TFC if you want a faster paced TF? What does the game offer that we haven't already seen in TFC?

Old 09-23-2007, 02:48 PM   #80
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
You can master each class in TF2 in 10 minutes. You can master each map in about an hour. What you have left is ofc the strategy and teamplay (to which there is huge depth), and so that is the focus of competitive TF2. That's not a bad thing (looks like Valve have dumbed player skills down like this intentionally to achieve this), but it's a very different game than what I think think of as TF, and it has completely lost the reasons why I loved TFC.

I'm not saying TF2 isn't a fun game. I'm giving it every chance I can to win me over as a new game, but it's never going to satisfy this love I have for everything that was great about TFC (which FF does very nicely). Btw to put things in perspective, it would take years and a lot of talent if someone were to even attempt to truly master all the class skills in TFC/FF, and ontop of that you still have very similar strategy and teamplay elements to what TF2 has to offer. That is why I consider FF to be "a much faster deeper more player skill orientated TF game" as I said.
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote