Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 12-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #1
JackBauer

Posts Rated Helpful 20 Times
Does anyone still play any pc games?

if so, what are you currently into?

my time is very limited so I play cs.go every now and then. due the star wars hype I got myself sw.bf and its fun for 30-60 mins.

Old 12-28-2015, 08:56 PM   #2
Ash_Marks
Speedrunner, Ramen-Lover

Class/Position: (D) HWGuy, (O) Medic/Scout
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 21 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to Ash_Marks
I've been playing Rampage Knights and Of Guards And Thieves lately. RK is really fun with another person, and Of Guards And Thieves is super fun with a bunch of friends.

I'm always willing to learn.
Ash_Marks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-29-2015, 07:50 AM   #3
empepelado

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Of course I do, long time ago I used to do when I had more time for myself. Sometimes I wish those years come back.

Star wars games are the best for me.

Old 12-30-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
TFC, mostly. I bought Q*Bert Rebooted for the Steam Sale.... well worth it, IMHO. That's a nice little time waster. Peggle, Zuma, and I still play HL1/2/etc...
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-31-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
AfterShock
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 45 Times
mostly blizzard games these days!

Heroes of the Storm
Hearthstone
(overwatch soon)

My bro's play a lot of diablo 3 too.

I also dabble in survival / roguelike indie games on steam.
AfterShock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-02-2016, 06:14 PM   #6
JackBauer

TFC still going strong then?

Old 01-04-2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

There are a few populated servers left out there. I know Drippy-'s catches some shit for the "anti-bhop" plugin he's got, but you can't argue with the fact that the server is full(26/26) pretty much every evening. Most of the other servers have at least a few bots in them... but bots get boring after a while.

I should also mention that I bought through Origin, the 17 game collection of Command and Conquer. It didn't go on sale during the holidays, but for $20, it's still a deal for that many games(every variation of every C&C game(except the N64 exclusive missions), plus the soundtrack in MP3 format).

If I have one issue with it, it's that you can't play internet games with C&C and Tiberian Sun. But, all of the missions are there, and it plays very well on my Win7 64-bit machine.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-07-2016, 03:08 AM   #8
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Anyone try the Xcom games? I've seen it, it caught my interest, just dunno if I wanna get it when it's on sale.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-09-2016, 08:55 PM   #9
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
There are a few populated servers left out there. I know Drippy-'s catches some shit for the "anti-bhop" plugin he's got, but you can't argue with the fact that the server is full(26/26) pretty much every evening. Most of the other servers have at least a few bots in them... but bots get boring after a while.
Just been playing on some US servers and they were full. Had some great fun despite of my ping though.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-09-2016, 11:11 PM   #10
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackBauer View Post
Just been playing on some US servers and they were full. Had some great fun despite of my ping though.
Yeah, there's a few that get people on them during certain times of the day. So there's almost always a game going on. There's a few non-2fort servers I'll play on, but Drippy-'s is still my main-stay. Good community, most of the players aren't asshats of one form or another, and most are willing to help new people out to learn how to play.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #11
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
and most are willing to help new people out to learn how to play.
Learn how to play no-bhop 2fort. They may not be asshats but they certainly are blasphemers. Basically playing a shittier version of tf2 at that point.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:09 AM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Learn how to play no-bhop 2fort. They may not be asshats but they certainly are blasphemers. Basically playing a shittier version of tf2 at that point.
Let's be honest here.... who, when they first bought HL/TFC, got "instaskills" in the first 5 minutes?

Answer: NOBODY.

TFC has a pretty heavy learning curve. You're going to get your ass handed to you, even on a more noob friendly server. As least you won't see HW's moving faster than a Scout can run, and thinking "well, this game is WAAAY too hard." and stop playing. Once you've gotten decent without it, THEN it's time to move on and learn the more advanced stuff.

Also, Drippy- didn't completely lock it out.... it's capped. What was the name of that one server....... Geezers and Broads, or something like that? They banned people for rocket/conc/nade/pipe jumping with the flag! Literally BANNED you for doing what's considered "basic" movement. You got ONE warning.... and perm'd if you did it again.

Many of the new players are coming in from TF2. A game that has one of(in my opinion) the slowest paces of any FPS out there. To them, even on Drippy-'s, it's very fast paced mayhem.

I'm not saying I teach scheduled classes or anything, but I talk to the new players, tell them it's a difficult game to learn, and try to guide them to stick with it and learn it. I do offer to go into an empty server and teach them some stuff. I'm not the best player ever, but they can learn some basic stuff, which makes them want to learn more. Once they've got that mentality, the sky is the limit.

Oh, and yes, I do tell them about Fortress Forever. I let them know that FF is even faster paced than TFC, and to walk before they run.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-11-2016, 03:59 AM   #13
homie in reboks'

Class/Position: Soldier & Medic
Affiliations: ( ir :: ) iv| K^ †
Posts Rated Helpful 80 Times
Quote:
Oh, and yes, I do tell them about Fortress Forever. I let them know that FF is even faster paced than TFC, and to walk before they run.
FF is only faster paced because TFC punishes players harder for making movement mistakes. I'm pretty sure they're both relatively equal in terms of pace. TFC has the higher learning curve because it's harder to keep your speed consistent, no hit detection, demo pipes are made of rubber, etc... . FF made a lot of quality of life changes that diminished these issues.

Old 01-11-2016, 04:12 AM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:

Many of the new players are coming in from TF2. A game that has one of(in my opinion) the slowest paces of any FPS out there. To them, even on Drippy-'s, it's very fast paced mayhem.
Honestly the only speed tfc has to offer over tf2 in a nobhop server is concing, and that's a moot point when it comes to 2fort.

Also I think a lot of older gamers are super delusional and jaded about the learning curve of arena shooters. It looks a lot steeper than it actually is just because very few players come into the genre, and most of the ones who do are pretty young and impressionable guys, who are either looking for their hipster gaming fix, or just saw their first avi and thinks it's the coolest thing they've ever seen. The type of person who has little to no gaming experience, much less a grasp on the concept of "skilled gaming".

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-11-2016, 07:35 AM   #15
NeonLight
NeoNL
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier, Medic
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: +M|M+ -RS
Posts Rated Helpful 170 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by homie in reboks' View Post
FF is only faster paced because TFC punishes players harder for making movement mistakes. I'm pretty sure they're both relatively equal in terms of pace. TFC has the higher learning curve because it's harder to keep your speed consistent, no hit detection, demo pipes are made of rubber, etc... . FF made a lot of quality of life changes that diminished these issues.
FF has faster air movement, TFC has faster ground movement
NeonLight is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #16
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Honestly the only speed tfc has to offer over tf2 in a nobhop server is concing, and that's a moot point when it comes to 2fort.

Also I think a lot of older gamers are super delusional and jaded about the learning curve of arena shooters. It looks a lot steeper than it actually is just because very few players come into the genre, and most of the ones who do are pretty young and impressionable guys, who are either looking for their hipster gaming fix, or just saw their first avi and thinks it's the coolest thing they've ever seen. The type of person who has little to no gaming experience, much less a grasp on the concept of "skilled gaming".
Maybe so, but it doesn't hurt to try and help them along. The ones that stick with it tend to become "team players", and good additions to the community. Of course, there are always going to be the ones that think "damn, this game is nuts!" and leave never to return.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-12-2016, 03:55 AM   #17
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Maybe so, but it doesn't hurt to try and help them along.
I wasn't at all suggesting that you shouldn't, or that it wasn't worth it. Quite the opposite in my opinion.

Just saying it gives the wrong idea of how steep the learning curve actually is.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

I guess the curve has something to do with the individual player. Those who have played FPS games before know a little something, whereas "casual" gamers who haven't, are in for a shock.

Still, I do enjoy helping out the new people. I'll admit that my passion for TFC and FF is pretty high, even though I'm not the most skilled player ever.

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 01-30-2016, 03:48 PM   #19
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
The games I play now is pretty much a few MMORPGs, a few smaller RPGs, an ancient mod for an ancient GTA game, and a few misc games, sometimes *cough* downloaded to see how good they are, if you know what I mean.

Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn and Guild Wars 2 - GW2 is fucking amazing.. and fucking HUGE. Too bad I ran into a small account problem I need to fix.. waiting on support. I tried out FF XIV because I was looking for a good mmorpg to play, came with a free month so I'll get enough out of that.

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen, console RPG with interesting mechanics that borrow from other games such as Shadow of the Colossis, Monster Hunter etc that got a PC port.

Path of Exile, dark gritty Diablo style RPG that a lot of the veteran Diablo 2 players wanted instead of Diablo 3 or some shit like that. Pretty good for free to play.

San Andreas Multiplayer, MP mod for GTA:SA, been with that for about a
good 5 years, playing on a specific server etc.

I'm pretty much done with TFC and or other 'fortress' games, was good while it lasted. First person shooters don't have much appeal to me anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
Anyone try the Xcom games? I've seen it, it caught my interest, just dunno if I wanna get it when it's on sale.
Now XCOM and Hard West on the other hand, these turn-based strategy easy-to-die shooters where you manage several units.. dunno what you call them, they seem interesting.. I am looking forward to XCOM's sequel after playing the first for a bit.

Last edited by Everything; 01-30-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-30-2016, 06:35 PM   #20
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Rust is pretty fun/terrifying/allows for fight or flight scenarios which will happen a lot. It's probably the most complete non-zombie survival fps game I've played and is only getting better over time. I think it's $20 for early access as it is still in alpha on Steam, but the most recent update has fixed the majority of lag problems. I have a nice PC, but it's far from the best out there and I am still able to run Rust on the highest graphics settings @ ~40fps.

I wasn't sure if I'd like the post apocalyptic aspect to it but it feels like an island where the government has marooned a bunch of savage people, wiped their memories and you have to claw your way to the top of the food chain by gathering resources, crafting tools/supplies and building up your own base or raiding others, starting by waking up naked with only a rock and a torch. There's big rad towns which house a number of items you can unlock with their blueprints and the dev team is currently working on somewhat of an RPG aspect by adding a leveling tree to the things you can unlock.

Words I can say cannot begin to describe how fun and addictive this game is and I wholeheartedly recommend it. 8/10.

Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote