Old 02-10-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
1TB Hard Drives

Can anyone recommend a good internal SATA 1TB(+) drive?
I would like to spend under a $100 (USB). I want to finally put ALL my files and media onto one drive in one place. Also, I want to make sure I actually get 1TB of space and not 900GB.

Thanks in advanced.

Once I get it, I can copy all my data over, re-partition my main HDD, and install Vista 64-bit! (XP 64-bit is not all too awesome)

Last edited by Mooga; 02-10-2009 at 07:53 PM. Reason: Internal and Sata
Mooga is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 07:52 PM   #2
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hitachi, seagate or western digital all get my vote.

On a side note, my wife and I just bought a 1 tb external seagate USB drive. Frys had them on sale for around $100.

If you want an actual 1 TB, you will need to get a 1.1 TB drive. Because you lose several hundreds megs to formatting. Even though the HD my wife and I bought says 1 TB, its actually 950 gigs - or around something like that.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 07:55 PM   #3
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

I forgot to say that I'm looking for an internal Sata drive. However USB is an option.
Newegg or Tiger would be best.. CDW would KICK ASS.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:04 PM   #4
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mooga View Post
I forgot to say that I'm looking for an internal Sata drive. However USB is an option.
Newegg or Tiger would be best.. CDW would KICK ASS.
The new drive is connected to my wifes mini tower. She does a lot of photography stuff, so I decided to connect it to her computer. I will just network a shared folder from my computer to the new drive. And, I dont need her hitting my system moving pictures around while I'am playing FF.

We bought the mini tower for her last week, and the drive a few days later. We just connected the external drive to her old system, moved everything over. Then plugged the external drive up to her new computer.

Her mini tower did not have a spare bay for an internal drive, so we went with an external drive because of a physical limitation.

==== EDIT ===

Those external drives are really just an SATA drive in a housing.

Old 02-10-2009, 08:23 PM   #5
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
get a caviar.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 10:17 PM   #6
Demasu
Official FF Medic

I have a MAXTOR 1TB hard drive, and it's been doing fine. It was a little over $100 originally, but you can find drives that big for less if you look around a little bit. Fry's would be a good place to look, and so would newegg. You're going to want a drive that's advertised as being over 1TB, because even with formatting, for some reason, all drives I've seen lately use literal figures in their size calculation. So instead of being 1 terabyte(10,099,511,627,776 bytes), you get 1 literal terabyte(which is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. 931.32257 gigabytes as opposed to 1024). I don't know why that is, but you're going to have to factor that in to your decision. So I'd go for a 1.5TB hard drive, and I've seen one for under $100, I just don't remember where.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #7
Shadow00Caster
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: Griefing/Spawn Camping
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Fuck 1TB hard drives too risky for loosing data .. get 750's or better yet 350's and build your own SAN, google openfiler .. n00b
Shadow00Caster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 04:22 AM   #8
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow00Caster View Post
Fuck 1TB hard drives too risky for loosing data .. get 750's or better yet 350's and build your own SAN, google openfiler .. n00b
I don't have that sorta money.
Even a 1TB drive is a splurge.

Old 02-11-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Be very careful with the Seagate 1TB drives. IIRC the 1GB in the 7200.10 series had issues...so has the 7200.11 series. There was a fairly large group of firmware that will, eventually, turn that hard drive into an expensive paperweight. Western Digital gets my vote. BTW, I believe they just leaped-frogged Seagate in capacity with their 2 TB drive...as much as i like WD...I would not touch this one until it's been out 6 months...it wouldn't be the first time that a drive mfr has pushed the envelope only to trip majorly.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 02:56 PM   #10
~kev~
pmagnvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
Be very careful with the Seagate 1TB drives. IIRC the 1GB in the 7200.10 series had issues...so has the 7200.11 series. There was a fairly large group of firmware that will, eventually, turn that hard drive into an expensive paperweight.
Thank you for the information, usually seagate makes a good drive.

====================

Keep in mind, there are 2 types of harddrives - those that have failed and those that are going to fail. Any device that has moving parts will break, its only a matter of time.

Most of the important stuff my wife and I have is family pictures and videos, which we have double backups on DVDs. Everything else we can live without.

====================

The one brand name of hardrive I do not buy or recommend is Maxtor. I will do my best to NEVER buy another maxtor drive ever again. A couple of years ago seagate bought maxtor. I was hoping that the quality of maxtor would go up, but it looks like the quality of seagate went down to what maxtor is.

Back in 2002 and 2003 I was doing computer repair in Houston, Texas. I guess that at least 20% of the maxtor drives I installed would fail within the first year.

Old 02-11-2009, 05:10 PM   #11
A Boojum Snark

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Demasu View Post
because even with formatting, for some reason, all drives I've seen lately use literal figures in their size calculation. So instead of being 1 terabyte(10,099,511,627,776 bytes), you get 1 literal terabyte(which is 1,000,000,000,000 bytes. 931.32257 gigabytes as opposed to 1024).
It's because officially the binary multiples (the 1024 ones) used by computer systems to measure are called gibibyte(GiB), tebibyte(TiB) and so forth but no one knows this nor is that terminology ever used. Then the people who manufacture the drives label them by counting with non-binary multiples because they get to put a bigger number on the box and the marketing department likes that.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Demasu
Official FF Medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boojum Snark View Post
It's because officially the binary multiples (the 1024 ones) used by computer systems to measure are called gibibyte(GiB), tebibyte(TiB) and so forth but no one knows this nor is that terminology ever used. Then the people who manufacture the drives label them by counting with non-binary multiples because they get to put a bigger number on the box and the marketing department likes that.
That's idiotic. I knew my unit converter program(how I got the exact numbers) has the gibibyte and tebibyte, but I wasn't sure if there was a true distinction or not.

...and you wonder why I love doctors.
Demasu is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 03:13 AM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boojum Snark View Post
Then the people who manufacture the drives label them by counting with non-binary multiples because they get to put a bigger number on the box and the marketing department likes that.
That's also gotten drive mfr's sued.

WD Link
Multiple manufacturer link
Seagate Link
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2009, 05:34 AM   #14
A Boojum Snark

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
While I hate them for doing it, and it is misleading, I don't agree with suing them over it. Their labeling is technically correct, as it's the software's problem for stating numbers using the wrong unit (GB instead of GiB). People are too sue-happy nowdays.
A Boojum Snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #15
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

What do you guys think of THIS DRIVE?

Old 02-13-2009, 01:28 AM   #16
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Rather buy 2 500 giggers over 1TB. About the same price, if one goes bad you still got the other.
Pixel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1tb, 64 bit, over 9000!