Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > Fortress Media

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-06-2013, 09:55 PM   #1
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Render/encode settings, basic color correction

This is basicly for alex. I know with his new computer he's gonna make, like, all of the avis. But I figured I'd put this here for anyone else interested. This first post will be my render and encoder settings. And when I'm less lazy I'll show what I do with color correction in vegas. It was more of an afterthought while making this post.

Here's my ingame movie config:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jjk9qgue1h9pyjx/movie.cfg

Usually what I do is:
Play the demo, skip to the tick I want, while it's paused open up the console and type:
sv_cheats 1
exec movie

Then close console, resume the demo, and record. The config binds the HOME key to record at 240fps, and the END key to stop. Some of the settings are blocked by sv_cheats so you'll need to turn on cheats before you exec the config. (I tried putting in sv_cheats 1 at the beggining of the config but it didn't work) Also make sure you have all your game settings in a config, so you can exec that after you're done recording.

These are my project settings in vegas:

It's worth noting that most (read all that I know) avi makers use 8bit for pixel format. I haven't really noticed a quality difference between the two settings. So you could play around with that if you want.

Here are my render settings:

If you use these vegas will (depending on your methods leading up to vegas) output a very large and completely unplayable file. So you'll need to encode it. I used to use easyh264:
http://tweevo.com/easy-h-264-video-encoder/

It's good enough and fairly straight forward, but you can do better. I use megui. It takes some setting up, and is a little more involved than the easyh converter, but it's worth it imo.

You can get it here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/megui/

Then pretty much follow this tutorial, except for a few parts:

He'll show you how to set up the preset you'll need to use. Just full screen the video and pause it as he goes through the settings tabs, and set yours up the same.

When you're using your script creator and you select your avi file, on the window that pops up just click avisource.

For the sound plugin I didn't have flac like he suggests in the video. I just used the LAME MP3: *scratchpad* (idk if it's lame or what, that's just the name of the plugin)

When you get to the part about variable bitrate. He says 10000 is best, for a size/quality ratio. He says you shouldn't see much increase in quality over that, but I strongly disagree. At a 15000 bitrate I noticed a strong increase in quality, at least on youtube. The file will be somewhat larger but it's worth it imo.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-08-2013 at 12:23 AM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

2 members found this post helpful.