Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 12:29 AM   #41
punkrockrocks
When patch will out?

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
it was kinda pointless as no one really died from infection anyway. most people, when infected, just tried to get killed by someone else so that the medic wouldn't get the points.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:36 AM   #42
JECS

people evolve to gameplay. i didnt learn to swim by taking lessons. i dove right in and let the lifeguard worry about my safety. give them something easy and of course they will like it, but eventually they get bored and leave. give them something difficult and they will try to master it. otherwise they will give up, and nobody would want that person on their team anyways. if you keep playing against people that suck you arent going to get any better. play against someone that will kick your ass and you will either learn to adapt or you are worthless. you should at least be able to match them and cause them to do better, resulting in yet another self improvement. if you cant do that you should stick to tf2. if you dont want to get infected go play tf2. if people are here they probably dont want to play tf2, so stop giving them reasons.

Old 11-05-2007, 12:37 AM   #43
JECS

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockrocks
it was kinda pointless as no one really died from infection anyway. most people, when infected, just tried to get killed by someone else so that the medic wouldn't get the points.
and thats not true. since the update ive been able to play and keep a 1kdr with just infections

Old 11-05-2007, 01:34 AM   #44
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrockrocks
ROFL-WAFFLE

Old 11-05-2007, 02:03 AM   #45
Surrealistik

GG contagious bullshit. Your number is finally up. May you remain forever exorcised you unwelcome staple of TF griefers everywhere.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #46
Chips

This is great news...agreed.

I too am a server admin and I grew tired of no talent players just running around with their medpack out as their primary, and only weapon. This happening on a public server is nothing but a headache and a disruption.

Keeping the ability to infect, one on one like a man, is just fine with me. 8 out of ten infections I ever got were from my own teammates on a pub. In clan matches, players warn each other....AND ACTUALLY LISTEN TO STAY AWAY.

I always suicide when infected. It benefits my own team and cause I'll NEVER give a med like that the satisfaction of the kill.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:39 AM   #47
df`

I didn't like this change at first, but the more I think about it the more I like it. Infection is still very powerful even without the ability to spread. And the times when it was spread, I would say more often than not it was on purpose to be a douche, or the result of ignorance.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:59 AM   #48
s0undch4s3r
The guy you love to hate.

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Everybody here that is crying about wanting to keep infection is a griefer. Go cry to your mommy now.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:30 AM   #49
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0undch4s3r
Everybody here that is crying about wanting to keep infection is a griefer. Go cry to your mommy now.
Or the people crying about infection are retarded and need to learn to play. Its not that big of a deal and if it is, switch to medic, the whole point of that in the first place. Getting infect spammed is one of the only times I ever picked medic in TFC and I didn't see it very often.

If a engie was griefing by putting his dispenser in doorways, removing it isn't the best way. Just add, noannoyances in the spawns and doorways, why not add infect, and fire spam to that as well to remove them? Or atleast on medkits/backpacks. What about teamkillers? They are the exact same, and removing ff would be a better change overall, that ruined the first few days of FF more than medics could have.

The medic loses 2 incentives to play a medic, being infect spammed or going to spam it, which really only worked if someone on that team was griefing with it and isn't a good reason to remove it (has it even been a problem in FF yet lol, not like they have lots of server choices if they get banned). Might as well just let them toss medkits, that also heal infect and give medics a way to heal their team better (not like people run around in little teams very often).

I don't really even care, it just seems like there are better ways to deal with it. Not to mention it feels like the devs are going down the list of classes that I would actually play and taking away abilitys or nerfing them for no reason, then really only adding alot to one that didn't need it.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 AM   #50
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Lee High
learn to play
This is the kind of attitude that drives away potential new players.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.

Old 11-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #51
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
That was my point, as is calling people who liked having fun with a CLASSIC tf ability, and people mad that its gone, griefers and people that noone will miss.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:09 AM   #52
Saint Thoth

Well… If we’re going to remove infection spreading on the basis that it griefs TF players…

We should remove grenades too.

Cuz you know, spam griefs players more than anything.

Oh yeah – and boosting other players into places where their class shouldn’t be able to reach. What’s up with that bullshit?

Yeah, so lets make players own team no-clip to each other, and make it impossible to boost teammates.

And these instant-build SG’s – just cuz a couple of players manage to get together and throw ammo packs at an engineer – that’s total BS, because engineering requires no skill – so let’s remove the ability to drop ammo to engineers. While we're at it, lets take away the double barrel shotgun, and make it a single, so he can't take an offensive roll.

…and what’s with these fast moving HWG’s who can just up and fire at things at will? Let’s make them super slow, and delay their fire time, so scouts can dominate them – that way we can force them into a defensive roll, that’s really of no use.

Yes, lets do all that…

…Then we’ll have…

TF2.

I thought the point of Fortress-Forever was to maintain the gameplay style of TFC that TF2 fails to capture on so many levels.

If we’re going to start removing key aspects of TFC that have been around for a decade on the basis that they frustrate some players, you midas well shoot the mod in the head now, and just start working on TF2 maps as there’s no point to FF if one is going to go that route, save maybe, people for who love TF2 but hate the cartoonie models, which I’m sure would be easier to get rid of with a TF2 model mod.

Old 11-05-2007, 06:17 AM   #53
Mulchman MM
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Mulchman MM Send a message via AIM to Mulchman MM Send a message via MSN to Mulchman MM Send a message via Yahoo to Mulchman MM Send a message via Skype™ to Mulchman MM
i wanted infection spreading to stay as i love to devote my entire attention to simply conc'ing up and infecting snipers (and/or anyone else who may be there) on 2fort. it was one of the most fun parts of a 2fort [everyone-on-both-teams-is playing-defense] pub in tfc. it's too bad its gone now. i'm still for the mapper imposing a no infection brush based area rather than removing the entire thing from code as now the med kit is worthless against enemies

Old 11-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #54
Surrealistik

Contagious infections were easily abused by griefers. Too easily, and not just from the vantage of the medic. Also, lest we forget, it wasn't exactly pleasant to get infected by oblivious or selfish teammates who care more about keeping themselves alive through spawn humping than their team's wellbeing, even if their actions weren't malicious or deliberate.

Perhaps they were a part of the TF gameplay since the very beginning. That doesn't mean the infection mechanic cannot and should not be improved upon. Given that the infection was hands down the griefer's weapon of choice (although I'm not about to claim that only griefers used it), and rightfully so, I'd say that removal of their contagious property most certainly constitutes a positive change. This in no way is tantamount to the removal of other concepts such as grenades or 'dynamic classes'. These things did not, and do not have the same proven potential for grief as the contagious infection. Period.

In all: non-spreadable infections good. Contagious infections bad.

Old 11-05-2007, 08:48 AM   #55
Saint Thoth

Griefers are for hosts and admins to deal with. You don't start removing aspects of the game due to the fact that the occasional llama abuses them.

Again, if you want to go that route, you gotta remove grenades and the ability to push each other around too. Then the llamas cant do anything - just like they did in TF2. Tis the exact same line of thinking.

Old 11-05-2007, 09:16 AM   #56
Major Lee High
Retired Mapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saint Thoth
Griefers are for hosts and admins to deal with. You don't start removing aspects of the game due to the fact that the occasional llama abuses them.

Again, if you want to go that route, you gotta remove grenades and the ability to push each other around too. Then the llamas cant do anything - just like they did in TF2. Tis the exact same line of thinking.
I agree, griefing is a admins problem. Devs should try to help, but you can't stop them, if they aren't team killing, or blocking doors, they will just stand around or spam, or take the flag and hide lol.... Getting infected requires running into a medic and getting infected anyway, if the other team has none this isn't a problem.

Went and played 2 maps earlier, first, Well, had fags jumping into the spawn over and over spamming grenades (noannoyances doesn't work for anything but buildables), some other demo was in our attic killing us, he had our team skin red but was blue getting blue kills, pretty much raping anyone that tried to go near him up there. Atleast there weren't a bunch of douches on voice thinking they were leet or something. Then we goto hunted, blue guy just runs out for easy kills over and over.... Server empties, we snipe for like the full map time 2 vs 4 or so, then 2moreforever comes up which I wanted to play but everyones gone, no other servers really.... Can't do anything about that kind of griefing on hunted either, without admins or votes (which both actually provide more griefing).

Much more pressing matters than infections, like in Well those spawn exits are kinda cool, and kinda ruin the map at the same time, add hurts atleast (while you change the lights lol). Things that will turn players off from the mod, like loading screen/music, map lag (some seem far too simple for the fps I get) and just plain bad gaming experience like I had (again) tonight, people will see long before a griefing teammate with infections, which shouldn't be a problem with a small community.

Old 11-05-2007, 10:05 AM   #57
Cosides

Good job !

Old 11-05-2007, 03:42 PM   #58
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
So, how many people can be infected by the spread currently? It seems to be working just fine now. The infection does spread still.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 11-05-2007, 04:34 PM   #59
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi
You would rather they don't learn to play?
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Old 11-05-2007, 05:02 PM   #60
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulchman MM
i wanted infection spreading to stay as i love to devote my entire attention to simply conc'ing up and infecting snipers (and/or anyone else who may be there) on 2fort. it was one of the most fun parts of a 2fort [everyone-on-both-teams-is playing-defense] pub in tfc. it's too bad its gone now. i'm still for the mapper imposing a no infection brush based area rather than removing the entire thing from code as now the med kit is worthless against enemies
I also think it should stay...it's up to the mapper to put up a no nade / infection (noannoyances i believe it is...) brush around the respawn, but if you are stupid enough to get infected by a teammate then that's on you.

And for all the server admins around there...if you really have that big of a problem with someone running around and infecting everyone on purpose, (I personally don't think it's as big of a deal as you all say it is) then turn on TK and let the other member of his team take care of the problem. IMHO it's better to play that way anyway b/c you have less spam and more strategic playing anyway!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Closed Thread