Ragdoll
Blacknight's Test Guy
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scoot
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: [Brik], F-in-S, [HelpStar]
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
How to Fix FF Part 3

I had hoped to get this in before the update, but no such luck.
My main beef this time is with the scoring system FF uses. It's not very efficient, it has no support for assists, kills are easily stolen, and doesn't reward every team-beneficial thing a player can do.
Therefore, I propose that instead of a flat 100 points per kill, points are awarded based on the percentage of damage dealt to an opponent's hit points. If a soldier shoots an unarmored scout with a rocket, therefore, the scout dies, losing 100% of his HP, and giving the soldier 100 points. Shoot a demo and take out half his health, you get 50 points. Dead simple. This allows for assists without having to track who damaged who and combine things on the killfeed the way that tf2 does, and it supports assists with any number of people. This can also be applied to SGs. Multiply the points for a level 1 by 1, a level 2 by 1.5, and a level 3 by 2.

To this base percentage, a number of modifiers and bonuses may be added. A modifier of x1.5 points may be added to damage dealt to an enemy carrying the flag or capping a control point like on warpath. This would have to be suspended on fusion or whatever that one map is where all the attackers have flags, but hey.
A modifier of x1.2 points may be added to damage dealt to enemies within a certain radius of the flag, as a sort of 'defense bonus'. The same thing could go for controlled cap points.
A modifier of x2 points may be added to damage dealt to enemy spies within a certain radius of a friendly sentry gun so long as the attacker is not the SG's owner. This promotes teamwork. The same thing could go for dispensers and mancannons in a pinch.
A modifier of x3 points may be added to damage dealt to enemies firing projectiles or weapons into a friendly spawn.

A special section may be added for snipers.
A modifier of x.5 points may be added to damage dealt to enemies who are stationary.
Make that .75 for enemies who are just walking around, no bunnyhopping, and x1 for enemies bhopping. Then, for every 50 units faster than bhop speed they're going, add in another .5 points. This rewards snipers for taking out scouts whizzing around the battlefield on concs and discourages sniper wars.
Further, a bonus of 100 points is awarded for a headshot, and a bonus of 100 points is also awarded for radio tagging a disguised or cloaked enemy spy.

500 points are awarded for opening a detpack wall or some other similar optional route.
200 points are awarded for deactivating security.
A multiplier of 1.5x is added on a successful identity-stealing backstab.
An arbitrary multiplier or number of points is awarded for anything I left out.
Also, add world reload animations and then it's perfect.

/flameshield on
Ragdoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 12:06 AM   #2
oaties

Posts Rated Helpful 38 Times
I agree. As a pickup player, I don't care about points, but anything thats appealing to new players without changing core gameplay = good.
oaties is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 12:57 AM   #3
CHURCHMOUTH
crystaLcity
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier D
Affiliations: Goodfellas
Posts Rated Helpful 7 Times
what game do you play pickups in? ;P
CHURCHMOUTH is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 01:36 AM   #4
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
You're absolutely right, Ragdoll. Fortress Points are a shell of what they could (and should) be. A complete revamp has always been talked about, but never worked on.

One of these days... hopefully.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 03:29 AM   #5
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
All it'd take is someone with the time and effort firstly to design a decent points system. As in 30 points for this 10 points for that. As far as code developers go we ought to atleast get kill assists in as I've brought up before. Entirely something I could have done myself so I'm not pointing fingers lol
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 09:14 AM   #6
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Let's also remove deaths from the scoreboard, since obviously deaths just make all the whiny babies think they're doing bad.

I mean, sure, yeah. Better use for fortress points would be great, except...uh, no. If it was just an achievement thing, fine, but if it was used for ingame "bonuses" like Tribes:Ascend does, then count me the fuck out. Personally I kind of prefer the simplicity of games that just do a K/D or K/D/A tally, without meaningless points there to clutter stuff up.

Opinions.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 01:07 PM   #7
WiFiDi
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag is there any other
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
You're absolutely right, Ragdoll. Fortress Points are a shell of what they could (and should) be. A complete revamp has always been talked about, but never worked on.

One of these days... hopefully.
if done right fortress points would represent skill and team work. for healing people doing what a class is designed to do. etc... mag did this right (a console fps teamwork based game.) seriously though you could recruit some regular players and forum members that can talk and hash out all the details so you just get presented with a few ides and implement them. as opposed from doing it all yourself.

tl:dr: we are sitting here waiting for patches minds well put us to work on this.
It's a happy massacre?! (yes, yes it is!)
To make most awesome thing in universe combine Bears and Nicholas Cage!
and remember kids, we didn't start the flame-war!

Last edited by WiFiDi; 12-17-2011 at 01:09 PM.
WiFiDi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-17-2011, 05:03 PM   #8
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raynian View Post
Let's also remove deaths from the scoreboard, since obviously deaths just make all the whiny babies think they're doing bad.

I mean, sure, yeah. Better use for fortress points would be great, except...uh, no. If it was just an achievement thing, fine, but if it was used for ingame "bonuses" like Tribes:Ascend does, then count me the fuck out. Personally I kind of prefer the simplicity of games that just do a K/D or K/D/A tally, without meaningless points there to clutter stuff up.

Opinions.
Lol, it's cool if you didn't read his wall of text, but nobody's talking about any kind of trash like that. All he's talking about is a little more in depth point system to entice new players who are into that kind of thing. I don't care about points, I'm fine just having fun playing. But if that floats someone elses boat I'm all for it. I mean after all if you don't care about the points in the first place then this would change literally nothing for you.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-17-2011 at 05:04 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2011, 01:14 PM   #9
episkopos
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: anything but Sniper and Spy
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
I definitely support assists as an idea, really people are attention whores, they want to see their name on the killfeed, so that will help motivate them.

Points are very antiquated, they don't motivate people at all. The only way to make them motivate people is if they could be exchanged for something in-game, like perks or hats or a sparkly name. Of course, that won't fly with all the TF traditionalists, and personally I'm not really a fan. But that's what people want, they want their skinner-box reward.
episkopos is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
absolute
VP Marketing
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via Skype™ to absolute
so you're proposing a damage counter vs a points or kills counter.

Could be neat.

Maybe if it wasn't even based on percentage. But if a medic DMs an HWGuy to nothing, they should get 100 points. But then how do you factor in armour ?

Also - does it need to be this complex? TFC and CS were played for years counting only kills & deaths.
absolute is offline   Reply With Quote