Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 06-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #41
Doctor Zyo
Manic Necrophiliac

Class/Position: O: Spy D: Engineer
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Eternal Order
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via AIM to Doctor Zyo Send a message via MSN to Doctor Zyo Send a message via Yahoo to Doctor Zyo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Games are only scary when enemy encounters are limited.
(see: Penumbra, System Shock 2)
Well atleast both of those titles give you the option of learning the 'story'. There doesn't seem to be one for L4D so much as its 'OH LOOK, ZOMBIES! GOGOGOGOGO!'. I have practically no time to get my senses together or know what the fuck is going on beyond the little 'cutscene' they started up with. Plus, seeing as the main characters are apparently 'immune' to infection it sort of takes the 'scare-factor' out of it.

If they can't infect you, why not just hold down in a fort or some shit with half the ammunition you stocked up on... But I suppose it's just that much that makes the zombie genre frightening to me, IE; If one 'touches' you in some way you somehow get fucked.
Doctor Zyo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-14-2009, 03:43 PM   #42
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
That would be pretty cool, a "story" version of L4D. Makes me think of Dead Space for some reason.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM   #43
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Zyo View Post
Well atleast both of those titles give you the option of learning the 'story'. There doesn't seem to be one for L4D so much as its 'OH LOOK, ZOMBIES! GOGOGOGOGO!'. I have practically no time to get my senses together or know what the fuck is going on beyond the little 'cutscene' they started up with. Plus, seeing as the main characters are apparently 'immune' to infection it sort of takes the 'scare-factor' out of it.

If they can't infect you, why not just hold down in a fort or some shit with half the ammunition you stocked up on... But I suppose it's just that much that makes the zombie genre frightening to me, IE; If one 'touches' you in some way you somehow get fucked.
I was always afraid of the slow painfully horribly death as you get eaten alive. But sure, a lobotomy sounds not so great too
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 05:37 PM   #44
hlstriker
QUAD ROCKET
Server Owner
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: Rocket Jumping
Affiliations: -g1 ]qS[ -eC- :e0: [ESAD]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Personally I don't agree with them releasing L4D2 this soon. It's just going to split the community like Condition Zero did with Counter-Strike. Not that I really care because I don't own the game myself.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott
^ lol
hlstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2009, 06:30 PM   #45
PartialSchism
Keep On Keepin' On

Class/Position: Offense
Gametype: Fun
Affiliations: I'm bad at FF, and my customs suck
Send a message via AIM to PartialSchism
That's a lot of members. Seems like they're pretty pissed.
PartialSchism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 AM   #46
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlstriker View Post
Personally I don't agree with them releasing L4D2 this soon. It's just going to split the community like Condition Zero did with Counter-Strike. Not that I really care because I don't own the game myself.

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/L4D2boycott
^ lol
CZ split the Counter-Strike community?
What was the split morons, and morons who play worthless games that no one bought?
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 02:19 PM   #47
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Valve said a long time ago that the days of epic games are over. No longer will they make iconic games like half-life 1.

So we now get smaller games released more often. Instead of one big l4d game with maps the size of cities, we get a couple of l4d games with only 4 maps each.

What they did, valve took a major project and divided it into half - maybe even thirds. And will release each section over the next couple of years.

So instead of buying 1 large game for $49, we buy 2 or 3 parts at $49 each. That way valve has a steady stream of income, instead of having to wait 2 - 3 years between the release of games.

It would be about like releasing 1 team fortress 2 character every year, instead of having to release the whole game at one time. Or everytime there is a big map update, just rebrand the product and sell it again with new character models.

There needs to be an overall quality in return for your buying dollars. I just do not see where l4d is worth $49. With the amount of work put into l4d, as compared to half-life 1, l4d is more like a $19 dollar game. The single player side of l4d is about like playing opposing forces or blue shift and those sold for $19.

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-06-2009 at 02:23 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #48
EquilibriuM
G9-
D&A Member

Class/Position: D Solly,Engy
Gametype: ALL
I have you know they are still making DLC for l4d, matter of fact one is coming out next month with a new campaign "CRASH COURSE" and a few other small items.
Also www.l4dmods.com and www.l4dmaps.com lots of fun extra survivor, versus, and campaigns to download, i recommend downloading just vpk files, they are pretty much like exe files, double click and it self installs.
But yes i do agree l4d should have been no more then $25 from the start, but then again you can always wait a few months and wait for a game special sale, like i do, and did for l4d and got for just $23.
EquilibriuM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #49
~kev~
pmagnvs

Class/Position: Engineer - D
Gametype: Free for all CTF - no stupid clan rules
Quote:
Originally Posted by EquilibriuM View Post
I have you know they are still making DLC for l4d, matter of fact one is coming out next month with a new campaign "CRASH COURSE" and a few other small items.
The new content is just a marketing campaign. Its a way to increase the player base right before l4d2 is released.

And considering the timing of the new contents release - 2 months before l4d2 is released - that is just enough time for people to get bored with the new content.

So this is the way its going to work - valve releases new content - people that have not played in months fire up l4d, download the new content and play for a little while. Just about the time their bored again, valve releases part 2.

The real test is going to be 6 - 12 months after part 2 has been released. I suspect that valve is going to release some updates 4 - 6 months after part 2 has been released - just to be able to say "we told you so." But after the 6 - 8 month mark, I doubt that valve is going to update l4d again.

This is my guess:

l4d2 - released november 2009.
l4d - some kind of big update in march, april or may.

Sometime after that - no more updates for l4d, and the games are merged into one big game. Maybe some kind of expansion pack that brings the original 4 into l4d2.

Last edited by ~kev~; 08-06-2009 at 10:32 PM.
~kev~ is offline   Reply With Quote