Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 06-01-2008, 12:14 AM   #1
AWPerator

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Bench press 155 pounds acceptable?

I am only to bench press 155 lbs ten reps. I get laughed at by the "elitists" in the gym for that. While I don't mind being laughed at, I want to know if that level of performance is considered acceptable for a guy in his 20's. If not, I will divert more of my time and energy to improve my chest/shoulder/tricep. By the way, I live in California.
AWPerator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 12:21 AM   #2
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
/me waits for 4est to post.

I'm 18, and very much out of shape. Before I went off to the hospital I was taking a weight training class at my highschool, and I think I maxed at only 155. You beat me, heh.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #3
Suite307

Meh, it's not how much you bench, it's the results... unless you're training for power.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 12:34 AM   #4
battery
D&A Member

155 lbs x 10 can be very impressive, or very "under-achieving". Tell me your height and weight. Also tell me if you are a marathon runner.
________
Fix Ps3

Last edited by battery; 03-31-2011 at 11:55 AM.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 12:45 AM   #5
AWPerator

I am 5'10" and weigh about 152 pounds.
AWPerator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 01:24 AM   #6
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
You're benching more than you weigh. I'd say thats pretty badass, imo.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
battery
D&A Member

First of all, your weight is unacceptable for your height. At 5 feet 10, you should weigh at least 165 lbs. My friends will not hesitate to call you a wimp, but I won't use that term on you. Let's just say you are in dire need of gaining weight.

Being able to bench 155 lbs is barely acceptable, imo, since you can bench at least your own weight. But since you are underweight, you need to increase your weight to 165, and be able to bench that much. Nothing less than that is acceptable for a 20 year old male. Just remember you are not in high school anymore. Expectation is higher for males older than 20. They have more experience in weight training, and have had more time to gain muscles. It's fair to expect much better performance from them.

Now, you say you were picked on by elitists? You are speaking as if you are the victim here! Those are not elitists. They are dedicated people who hit the gym everyday. They are keen on shaping the social environment in the gym. Just imaging you are a professional football player in NFL. How about put you in the same training area as some high school football players? Not a very motivating setting is it? Look, if I spend 5 days a week in a gym, and training for top shape, I DO NOT want to see some wimp in my gym! Nothing personal, but I prefer to meet decent weight lifters in my gym, so we can motivate each other!

If people laugh at you, that's a signal that you don't fit in. Do everyone a favor and move to another gym, and train until you get bigger. Once you have gotten a more decent look, you can return to the gym. You will be more welcomed.
________
Outdoor Kinky

Old 06-01-2008, 01:41 AM   #8
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Dude, anyone who's going to laugh at your for benching roughly your own weight is one of those douchebag fuckwads who thinks you're only as much as you can lift. As long as you're going it with good form, that's very impressive. If you're bringing the bar to about your nipples, maybe 1/4 to 1/2 inch away from your chest, and extending all the way up, then you're good.

I'm 6'1 and weight about 150, and I bench 95 for 4 sets of 10-12 reps, and I get dbags giving me funny looks for not lifting retarded amounts of weight, but in the end proper form, and low weight / high reps will get your better results.

EDIT: When I speak of douchebag fuckwads, I'm mostly talkign about battery. Honestly, don't listen to a single thing he says.

Old 06-01-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
battery
D&A Member

I am just telling him reality. This is not the 1980's, FrenchToast. Looking skinny is not acceptable. To get promotion, girlfriends, and respect, you must look decent. Being humorous, easy-going and positive the ultimate deciding factor for how people "evaluate" you. But know this: you won't be even given the opportunity of a conversation if your appearance is not up-to-par. You need to get the looks, then you have to work your social skill. Physical appearance is the pre-requisite of all.
________
Uggs

Old 06-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
YomMamasHouse

I'm about Frenchtoast's height and weigh 148 pounds. I haven't tried bench pressing since about a year ago but i know 110 pounds was the highest I could do 8-12 times without getting ruined. It's nothing to worry about, a lot of people are scronny throughout their teens. There are many more important things in life than lifting weight, and by many more I mean almost anything you can conceive of within reasonable bounds. Luckily for me it is just some genetic thing that causes a lot of the guys in my family to be really damn skinny in their teens (my grandpa was 148 pounds and 6'5 at 19 and made his way up to almost 200 by his early twenties), so if I follow the trend I will become at least average weight within a few years.

I can't tell if battery is a douche bag or has really dry sarcasm.
YomMamasHouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 02:24 AM   #11
Rutabeggar
D&A Member

I think it depends on how many reps of 155 you can do. Maxing out and doing it multiple times are 2 completely different things. Maxing out doesn't give you the same results as doing multiple reps in multiple sets. Being able to bench more than your body weight is more than satisfactory. When in real life are you going to actually have to lift 155 lbs. on a regular basis? It's not a matter of what people in the gym say, it's much more about how you feel about it.
Rutabeggar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 02:41 AM   #12
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by battery
I am just telling him reality. This is not the 1980's, FrenchToast. Looking skinny is not acceptable. To get promotion, girlfriends, and respect, you must look decent. Being humorous, easy-going and positive the ultimate deciding factor for how people "evaluate" you. But know this: you won't be even given the opportunity of a conversation if your appearance is not up-to-par. You need to get the looks, then you have to work your social skill. Physical appearance is the pre-requisite of all.
You're a sad, sad little man.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 02:42 AM   #13
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
Yeah, people like battery I kinda avoid.
Backstaber is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 03:33 AM   #14
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

I am skinny, but that is genetics. You can't really blame someone for the hand they were dealt. Some people simply will never be that guy from the Bowflex commercials. Okay. Just because you have a certain body shape or size, it doesn't mean you can't be fit. I know very fit skinny people and I know very unfit skinny people. One-hundred fifty-two pounds if fine for a 5'10 man. Lifting 155 pounds for your size is fine. Don't let the haters tell you otherwise. FrenchToast got it right. Battery is just a superficial fucktard. That's all. But I thought we all agreed not to take battery seriously anymore.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.

Last edited by uBeR; 06-01-2008 at 03:40 AM.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 AM   #15
FooL

yea battery your crazy... im 6'2 and 155ish pounds and i dont have trouble with any of those things

and social skills is definatly more important than weight height ratio...
FooL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 03:53 AM   #16
Suite307

I'm 6'4 and 210lbs , i can bench about 180lbs. But i'm doing it to get mass.
There's basically 2 types of training to do , one to gain power and the other to get mass.
Suite307 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 04:04 AM   #17
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
I tried going for mass for awhile, following in my brothers footsteps. I put on 15 pounds but then got bored with it, 'cause I really don't wanna be big. I've changed my diet and workouts up so that I'll gain muscle, but it'll be toned and defined, and above all I'll be stronger than if I was going for mass, and I'll have better endurance. My brother won't run because he doesn't want to burn those extra calories. As a result, he's big, but he's not 'fit'. Other news, I can finally squat 160 for reps now.

Old 06-01-2008, 05:15 AM   #18
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Unless your planning on a job that requires this, it's pointless. Aside from that, women aren't impressed by how much you can bench or how far you can piss. All they know is that it makes you stink. Put that energy into academics and improving your income. If you want mass, wait until you're 30, your metabolism will slow down and you'll get more then you want. If you have huge muscles at that point, you're not going to like what you look like when you're 40, it's not pretty.

Scuzzy

Old 06-01-2008, 05:38 AM   #19
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Quote:
income
Really the only thing women want.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2008, 05:42 AM   #20
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

What kind of women are you hanging out with? Not the right ones, obviously.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote