AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
How is the FF community?

Hey there, I haven't loaded up my Steam in quite a while, and last time I did, the FF community was abysmal, no one was in pub servers, and it seems the leagues were paying more attention to TF2. Recently I re-quit WoW, and have some free-time and would like to get back into TFC/FF, but I have to buy a new Steam account, since I forgot my login, and before I do, I'd like to know if it's worthwhile? I see the forums are still fairly active, and even the Catacombs has some activity in the FF forum, but how is it in-game? Are there decent pubs, lots of variety, skill map servers, etc?

Also, are people still playing TFC? I wouldn't mind hopping around in some pubs and tossing around some pipes to entertain myself.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
GenghisTron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 11:11 AM   #2
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Heh dude, pubs are very active after 10 pm (GMT +1 :P, dunno bout rest of you) , and there are awesome pickups at #ff.pickup on gamesurge IRC( I suck at them :P ).
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 11:24 AM   #3
summit

Unfortunately I checked aus/nz servers the other day to find 2 up with no players.

How can I possibly judge the damn game if I can't try it with anyone in my region?!
summit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 11:46 AM   #4
Adamido
Its over nine thousands!!!

Class/Position: midmap pyro / o spy
Maybe you should try other servers, huh? There are many EU servers, which fill up fast , like Wireplay, or usrf.nl , and sometimes jolt.co.uk . Just check em!
Adamido is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
TheWetMule

Send a message via MSN to TheWetMule Send a message via Skype™ to TheWetMule
Terrible!
TheWetMule is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:10 PM   #6
=AS= Pt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamido
Maybe you should try other servers, huh? There are many EU servers, which fill up fast , like Wireplay, or usrf.nl , and sometimes jolt.co.uk . Just check em!
Or INX Games =AS= ... EVERY day we have almost full server. We are european server, so if you want you can join us. But we are clan style (altough we are not too rigid with that ^_^). In our server, its like this...the server is empty. you enter the serve. 2 minutes after theres 1 more person. That makes 2. 4 minutes after, 3, then 5, then 8, then 10. In 90% of times its like that (after 8p.m GMT to 2a.m GMT). I think there is a stigma in "uuuh, FF hasnt no one playing..." I can tell you that not even ONE day i wanted to play and no one showed up for a decent frag. Sometimes i want to train some concs and cant cause the server get filed quick, so you can see what i mean We tryed a lot of times to have a 2fort, 2V2, but end up every freeking time in a 5V5 lolol.

85.234.148.39:27025 - Its our IP. But if you dont like it, Adamino is right, there are plenty others =)

If you comeback to steam anf FF, you are welcome.
=AS= Pt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:28 PM   #7
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Pt speaks truth. Join any server and it will fill up.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:40 PM   #8
Caspar

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
New updates minus any advertisement whatsoever = no new players

Not even a post on moddb about the update? :/

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Lt Llama

50 players total yesterday at 20.00 GMT+1. Prime EU time.
But its no matter what server you join, someone will join you soon.
Last saturday morning i connected to Euroskillz CTF server to do something. I thought it was a good time of day to do some work on the server. 20 minutes later it was full, and people whining about so few eu servers with good ping for them.

I suggest you adopt a server, give it some <3 and some time and I'm sure it will come alive.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:00 PM   #10
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caspar
New updates minus any advertisement whatsoever = no new players

Not even a post on moddb about the update? :/
imo FF isn't quite ready to try to push to the nooblets just yet. it's nearly there, and at this rate it will be soon, but imo it needs a little more gameplay tweaking and a really good help/tutorial system first. don't worry though, "true team fortress (tm)" has so many really hardcore fans who'll stick with FF for however long it takes to get there that i have no doubt it will do eventually! ofc i'm not saying it'll be #1NOOBGAMEONTHEINTERNETLIKECSORTF2, but i'm sure that a stable fun clan and public playerbase will develop, and anything above that is a bonus tbh. and when it does get there, FF won't just be a passing fad or follow TFC's slow and painful fate lol, cos the most important thing is that the community obviously has complete control of FF's development so it will only get better and better and cat

fortress is forever, not just for xmas. lol wtf i am crazy?
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 02:23 PM   #11
GambiT
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Spy
Affiliations: -=DoM=-
i aint going anywhere...
--------------------------FF_Civibash_G(Released)------------------------
-------------------FF_Conc_G1(WIP)--------------------
-------------------FF_Hollow_G(WIP)---------------------
GambiT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 02:38 PM   #12
GhostBuster
SHUT UP AND SWALLOW

Also, the clan style community on america is pretty active, lots of pickups everyday and leagues starting next week with all active clans, join us: #ff.pickup on GameSurge.
GhostBuster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 02:58 PM   #13
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostBuster
Also, the clan style community on america is pretty active, lots of pickups everyday and leagues starting next week with all active clans, join us: #ff.pickup on GameSurge and UGC FF 5v5
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 03:01 PM   #14
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

One last thing you can retrieve your lost password/loging info if you remember the email you signed up under. But it would be quicker to just go buy an game.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:42 AM   #15
summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamido
I'm sorry, but while you were just trying to be helpful, it's not a viable solution to just play on a server in another continent.

FPS's have issues with such lag, where aiming and timing is paramount. If I'm going to judge this game for myself, I want to be playing in ideal circumstances so I can judge on the merits of the mod, not the conditions I was forced to play under.

Unfortunately though that's just the state of the game - lot of forum activity - no one playing. I don't think people should be finding full servers at any cost - I played the other day (before posting earlier) on a higher pinging server. Was not fun at all.

Old 02-28-2008, 01:56 AM   #16
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
you need those new fangled warp cables that allow electrons to travel faster!
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 02:31 AM   #17
pF
no war but class war
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Soldier / Scout
Gametype: ctf
Affiliations: [w~k!]
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summit
I'm sorry, but while you were just trying to be helpful, it's not a viable solution to just play on a server in another continent.

FPS's have issues with such lag, where aiming and timing is paramount. If I'm going to judge this game for myself, I want to be playing in ideal circumstances so I can judge on the merits of the mod, not the conditions I was forced to play under.

Unfortunately though that's just the state of the game - lot of forum activity - no one playing. I don't think people should be finding full servers at any cost - I played the other day (before posting earlier) on a higher pinging server. Was not fun at all.

Well then, get some friends to play as well. I don't see how FF or the community is to blame for a lack of australian/nz players. Oh, and I regularly play with a ~200 ping and it's really not that bad.

Gay And Lesbian Fiction | Teen Books | Bath Products
pF is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-28-2008, 02:46 AM   #18
summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by -pF-
Well then, get some friends to play as well. I don't see how FF or the community is to blame for a lack of australian/nz players. Oh, and I regularly play with a ~200 ping and it's really not that bad.
You are kidding, right?

The entire point of a mod is to encourage play. Don't ya think something is a bit ... wrong if there's an absence of players?

I'm not actually having a go at anyone here, or even FF itself. I'd love to be able to post up my opinions of the mod and offer insight as to where I think things need changing, but the fact is without a server to play on that isn't 200+, I can't judge the mod on its merits without getting thrown off by the lag.

Anyone who's been gaming for long enough can tell you once you start going past 150+, you're at an extreme disadvantage.

Point is - to play a mod, it shouldn't be up to me to rally people to play with me. If it has a healthy community, the game will encourage people to play (the majority of that job shouldn't be left to people). I'm a little boggled at the assertion that the onus is on me to get people to play with.

I guess my point is - the game seems heavily developed towards a specific audience; so much so that it appears to be a niche mod with very little appeal to a wider audience. Is this a problem? Well I guess that depends on the intentions of the developers. What's the point in playing a mod which boasts all these cool features if there's no one to play against?

mervaka: lol yeah definitely electrons fault :P

Old 02-28-2008, 02:51 AM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I played TFC for three years with pings averaging 300 or more. Didn't throw my opinion off one bit.

C'mon, try it. It's not that bad.

Old 02-28-2008, 03:12 AM   #20
summit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuitous
I played TFC for three years with pings averaging 300 or more. Didn't throw my opinion off one bit.

C'mon, try it. It's not that bad.
lol I have tried it - I come from games like MOHAA (Spearhead) where the higher the ping, the worse things are. I find mucking around in a 200+ environment pretty horrid let alone ever dreaming of (trying to) play it properly.

Anyway if people seem to accept that there's nothing wrong with such pings, then I'll give it a whirl and post my opinion. I just won't be expecting "blame the ping" for things I'm critical of.