Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Need some help here with banking / debit card

I like to think of myself as pretty responsible with my money.

Now, I do not define responsible as "Don't blow that $20 on steak at a diner" - I do stupid stuff like that sometimes, yes. But I always pay my bills on time and I do my best to keep my bank account in the black.

However, one particular company has been really pissing me off, and I need help from youse gais as to find out what my options are.

In October of last year, my mom grabbed my debit card out of my wallet and was on the phone with someone. I grabbed the phone away from her and asked her what the Hell she was doing. She said she wanted to order some coins from World Reserve Monetary Exchange, and that she would give me the money to put into my account as we would not be charged for two weeks. I said fine.

I had a bad feeling about World Reserve Monetary Exchange. It was one of those companies that takes out ads in newspapers and says things like "Get x coins for free - only $7.95 shipping and handling!".

So, the first charge comes around. Unsurprinsingly, it's not $8.00 - it's more like $25.00. There was nothing in the article about that, nor were we informed about any of this over the phone.

My mom reluctantly pays the charge and assumes that to be it.

Then, about a month later in November, I am hit with a charge for another $36.00 which damn near drained my account to the negative. My mom calls the company and tells them to stop charging us, cancel everything, etc. They say fine.

This morning, I wake up, and there is a $2.08 charge on my bank account from these bastards. I had $1.04 in my account. It's like they know when I don't have money.

This company has charged me two times and gave me nothing in return. My bank says my only option to dispute the charges is to cancel my debit card (so it returns as an "invalid card" when they attempt to charge it) and get a new one for $25. I think the person who told me that might be an idiot.

I want to try and get these superfulous charges (and the overage charges) back in my pocket, straight from these bastards wallets. If I can't, well then, I want to at least file a complaint with everyone who will listen.

I am at the end of my rope with these people and tired of their shit. If anyone has any ideas or advice, please help. Thanks.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 09:33 PM   #2
TurboWolf

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to TurboWolf
I got no clue here, so I wish you all of luck :0
TurboWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 09:59 PM   #3
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Find if there's anything in the legalese they have to have to justify their charges. If there isn't, threaten to press charges for it. Then, if they laugh in your face, find a lawyer to write you about fifteen pages of legalese crap that could be summed up in one sentence and mail it to them. 15 pages of legalese shows that you mean serious fucking business.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
First of all, I'm going to make an assumption. That being that your debit card is tied to a checking account. If that is true, simply do the following:

Close said checking account(thus nullifying the card) and open a new account(either with your current back, or somewhere else if they give you a hard time about it.)

It's going to take time to get a new card to you anyhow.....why give them $25 for the priviledge?

I did that with Rose's account when she passed away. I moved the money into another account...to fend it off from automatic bills and raids.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 PM   #5
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
You bank can / should be able to reject the charges...if you file a dispute with your bank once the other company repays the charges, then your bank has to refund you the overdraft fee's.

Also you need to call the company charging you and do the same thing. It's on the company that charged you to repay the fraudulent charges...it's on your bank to refund the overdraft fee's you incurred. Both have to be done together and neither company is going to work with each other...

When talking to your bank say you are disputing the charges and there needs to be a hold placed on the funds in question.

When talking to the company you need to use words like litigation, fraudulent charges, etc. Tell them that you are recording the conversation at the beginning...if you can do record it, but if not tell them you are at the least...

Tell them that you requested it be disconnected at ___date (be specific) and that there have since been charges to your account for ___amount and that because of said charges you have been charged ___amount by your bank b/c the charges over drafted you. Explain that if they do not refund the full amount charged and cancel all services you will be forced to pursue legal action...etc.

You shouldn't have to close your account or pay for a new card...make the company pay and not you...if all else fails do what Iggy said.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #6
SkullBash
333 (only half evil)

Charges can easily be disputed. However that does not stop them from doing it again. You can tag them at the card holder level, that is mastercard or visa but the only real way is to cancel the card.
SkullBash is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2008, 10:56 PM   #7
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Here's the wrench in the works guys...this is being done as a debit card if what's he's describing is accurate. The rules for debit are different as is your recourse. What Iggy says is correct...cancel the card AND the checking account and open a new one.

Fox, your advice only works if this is a legit business that cares about it's customers and reputation. If this is a scammer all bets are off.

I'd find out what State they supposedly operate in and contact the State Attorney Generals Office AND/OR the State Consumer Advocate (if they have one) and see if you can get some leverage there as well.

Bottom line is they have your checking information and you're now at risk so long as that account is open. For the future, consider getting yourself a credit card tied to the bank where your checking account is located. You should be able to transfer cash as needed to that account for transactions that you intend to be as near to cash as possible without actually exposing your checking account. You would then have more protection and recourse in case a turd tries this again....and closing and opening new accounts won't be as painful.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 AM   #8
zSilver_Fox
IRL Combat Medic

Class/Position: D Medic
Gametype: Conca Jumping
Affiliations: ^iv
Yea, but still, 15 pages of legal bullshit is enough to make just about anyone quake. Except for another lawyer... they have no hearts for fear to be stricken into.

First infraction! Flaming!
zSilver_Fox is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #9
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
State holiday today, so I'm going to talk to a different person in my bank and see what my options are.

As far as they stated, since I used it as a credit card, my checking account would be protected from credit charges under their policy (the card used to charge it would no longer be valid).

I will see things go and get back to you all. Thanks guys.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 PM   #10
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Sounds like some furstration. I would get someone involved, either a laywer or the home state of this company.

I wouldn't takle it myself because if it is a scam it would be a waste of time. Good luck. Some law firms give free advice, you could try calling one of these before paying for a laywer.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #11
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Can you chargeback with a debit card? Probably not lol. It's disputable though, unless you haven't been reading the fine print.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote