Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-16-2005, 08:47 PM   #1
o_ickby

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Jargon Buster

Hi all!

As a newbie (sorry if that offends anyone) , I've been finding it hard to follow all the abbreviations and jargon used in TFC and other online games.
There are obvious ones I know eg:

WTF = what the fu*k
STFU = shut the fu*k up
OMG = oh my god

Are there any more commonly used abbreviations we noobs should know? What is "pwnage" and why is it spelt with a P? Why do some players use teh instead of the? Are there any abbreviations and jargon you'd like to see used?

I know this is beginners stuff but, well, i'm a beginner.

BTW (by the way ), I'm really looking forward to this mod. If only I had a better machine than an Athlon 650mhz. Bugger.

Nice to meet you all.
o_ickby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:10 PM   #2
o_rebo

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Its cool Ickby but this type of question should be posted in Off Topic Chat. I agree "General Discussion" is a bit ambiguous and ill see about changing it.

Pwnage, probably started as a misstype of ownage. Now the thing about the internet is that without terms of reference its difficult for the more active internet users to seperate the newbies from the guys who have a basic understanding of internet etiquette. Thats why these mistypes stick, pwn or pwnage becomes a term of identification. It shows your not a borning school teacher or an uneducated rita. Why do these somewhat silly terms stick as opposed to technical or knowledge aspects of the internet, well that sprobably because most internet users are sub 25 and in this age proper grammar and pronounciation is not drilled into people ( i should know ) )

The same can be said of teh and other obvious mistypes. The other type of internet text that came into being a bit earler was the swapping of ascii digits for regular words, i.e. 3 for E and 4 for H. So you get the transmogrification elite - > 1337 and then leet.

There are several definitive explanations of these on the internet, some good sites are wikipedia and google just put something in like "origin of llet".

With the whole explosion of mobiles/cellphones we get the now esoteric permutations like "1 b bk 4 dnr."

Furthermore internet communities can invent of mutate these words to further differentiate with the out crowd and the in crowd.

Some in the history of TFC

"pal"
"OH|SO|COOL"
"bg"
"do you want some whine with that cheese"
"cry"
"prawned"

Many are not unique to TFC but those are some i remember.

Some terms i use are:

ofc for "of course"
spose for "suppose"

Lastly id like to mention alot of mutations now are pretty offensive, having a harsh or caustic edge to them. Such as "nub" for "noob" something I dont really approve of.

Man i cant belive i typed all this, learn to use google

o_rebo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #3
o_ickby

oops, I thought about where to put this for a while, apologies.

Old 02-16-2005, 09:12 PM   #4
o_someoldguy

Some of the more common ones that are sort of game forum/in-game acronyms... unabashedly but respectfully cut/pasted/slightly edited for content from ( http://tbqforums.com/iForums/SHH/dis...discussion=748 :

For the uninitiated...
sif

A shortened version of "as if". Commonly found in online gaming circles.

stfu

1) Acronym used for the phrase "shut the f*** up" for efficiency reasons.

pwn

PWN (verb)

1. An act of dominating an opponent.

2. Great, ingenious; applied to methods and objects.

Originally dates back to the days of WarCraft, when a map designer mispelled "Own" as "Pwn". What was originally supose to be "player has been owned." was "player has been pwned".

Pwn eventually grew from there and is now used throughout the online world, especially in online games.

1. "I pwn these guys on battlenet"

2. "This strategy pwns!" or "This game pwn."

leet

A derivitave of the 80's software piracy scene. Originally "elite" was used to show status on a BBS. Commonly the people who cracked the software, or had sysop access on a board would be referred to as Elite. Later it became common to just use "leet." With the internet explosion it was later used to describe hackers as well as crackers. Due to it being great to be known as leet, newbies started adopting the term and using to describe themselves, often with numerical variations. Anyone who considers themselves "leet" should be able to tell you who/what Razor1911 is, anyone failing to answer this question should be laughed at.

woot

Woot originated as a hacker term for root (or administrative) access to a computer. However, with the term as coincides with the gamer term, "w00t".

"w00t" was originally an trunicated expression common among players of Dungeons and Dragons tabletop role-playing game for "Wow, loot!" Thus the term passed into the net-culture where it thrived in video game communities and lost its original meaning and is used simply as a term of excitement.

ph34r

l33t-sp33k for fear (also spelled ph33r).

haxorz

Used by douche bags (see douche) worldwide to describe their incredible "pwning" skills, usually during an online video game session or posted on a forum for 40-year old guys living in their parents basement wearing wife-beaters and old boxer shorts.

gfx

Synonym / abbreviation of "graphics"

GG

Exclamation: A way of resignedly expressing one's own defeat or disgust with a situation. Often followed by the object in question.

Also "good game"

*toy breaks*
person: gg plastic

FFS

Acronym for, for f***'s sake.

teh

Orginally started off as a typo for "the", but recently has changed a bit in meaning. "Teh" still means "the", however, it is mostly used in the same manner that spanish speaking people use the word "El".

FOAD

F*** Off And Die

There are also a myriad of online sources for acronyms. Google for "online acronyms" and you'll get tons of them...
o_someoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:14 PM   #5
o_groovyf

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pwn&r=f

for pwn and derivatives
o_groovyf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:42 PM   #6
o_sobe green

GL - Good Luck
GH - Good Half
HF - Have Fun
BH - Bunny Hop
CH - Chop Hop
CJ - Conc Jump
RJ - Rocket Jump
PJ - Pipe Jump
FF - Friendly Fire (Or now Fortress Forever )
DM - Death Match

Eh those are the simple ones I could come up with. Some are used while others aren't used so often.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #7
o_shadowe

Some of the more confusing things you probably will hear once FF is out:

TF: Team Fortress, specifically refers to the original quake fortress or quakeworld fortress (also called QF).

TFC: Specific reference to pre-1.5 tfc. (which is TF1.5)

_Special: group of scripts known as _Specials which a few treaded the line of lameness with heavy leaning and the rest were outright llamatic in nature

Llama: Probably from a misspelling of Lame. do a google for Encounters with Llama's to get the whole story.

AVC: pretty much the first entmod/neotf out there. Was used on Vipers TFC killzone #2 which later dropped all pretense of seriousness and became Avatar-X-'s TFC Sillyzone. AVC allowed for realtime modification of maps, including creation of new parts outright, and even let you save stuff. Had special weapons like snarks tripmines and snowballs integrated way before Neotf was ever released. Ask Billdoor about it sometime.

Slowhacking: When an admin starts hacking your computer with adminmod or some other program while your ingame. Its illegal just like any other hacking.

Osniping: When you go sniper and attack the enemy team at their base instead of defending at yours.

OvO: Your a soldier on offense, you shoot the other teams soldiers on offense. Someone tells you to stop the DM then this is prolly what they are referring to.

Backtracking: When you turn around while on offense to attack someone.

Snarkonarchilant<mapname>: i have no fucking clue, seriously if any of you know please tell me. Probably refers to spawning monsters in maps.

Autosniping: using zoom scripts and the autorifle. 90% of servers don't care except on hunted. Don't use auto's on the hunted if you don't want a ban. Its not really worth arguing about, he dies in 1 shot anyway.

Prez/Fatty/Presidante: The suit on hunted

Rating: if someone accuses you of this do three things, check your console for admin slowhacking, check your hardware (routers etc) for anything wierd, and then check cl_rate, rate, and the framerate commands to see if anything wierds going on. Usually your the first to know if this is happening though.
o_shadowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 PM   #8
o_hatchman

\/ made with a \ and / = peace
o_hatchman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
o_ickby

This is great, exactly what I was after.

i know I could've (did) search google for this, but I thought it would be nice to have this sort of thing available on the forum.

Cheers all!

Old 02-17-2005, 12:27 AM   #10
o_silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowe
Backtracking: When you turn around while on offense to attack someone.
this can also be called chasing
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 11:17 AM   #11
o_gritty

Apologies for any repetitions.

IMHO, in my honest/humble opinion

b0ned, badly beaten, taken up the back passage, see 'owned'

b0rked, not heard this in a while actually-means badly broken/not working, not sure of its original derivation

AFAIK, as far as i know
AFK, away from keyboard/keys

ROFL, always proncouned in my head as 'rolf', as in 'rolf harris' but then im odd: meaning rolling on floor laffing

ty, thank you

ghey/gh3y insult for someone acting gay or simply stupid,

h0tmans3x0r to have hot ghey sex with men. Most FPS communities or net communities in general have an unhealthy fascination with same gender relations. The above word can be seen as any of flirtatious/funny/insulting depending on circumstance/orientation

someone typing with numbers AND bright colours in their words= moron thinking hes l33t and asking for a kickban because hes hurting my eyes

tbh, to be honest. Often to found in conjunction with hax. 'hax tbh' which is more often used to wind up the uninitiated/say good shoot than to actuall accuse someone of hacking

gs= good shot

fs, f*cks sake, more like a sigh/grrr than the more angry FFS, often to be seen when you get killed

Some of the earlier ones brought back memories ph4444rrr ph333r m3h, cant beleive i typed like that once upon a time guess i must be old and non l33t now.

I cba (cant be arsed) to type any more, the above may not all be seen in TFC btw (by the way)
o_gritty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 05:22 PM   #12
o_3xternal

ns - nice shot
nt - nice toss
FR - flagroom
FD - front door
bment - basement
batts -battlements
nme - enemy
ng, engi - engineer
solly, sol, soli - soldier
hw, fatty - hwguy
sg - sentry gun
gren, nade -grenades
mirv - demoman 2nd grenade
telefrag - when u spawn on top of another player
-zor - ending added to words that means nothing more than the speaker is a geekzor

j00 - form of you, not a religeous insult
j00 hax - something a person says when they are getting thier ass handed to them

conc - concussion grenade , medic and scout secondary
cap - capture of the flag
relay - when one offensive team member waits for the capture of the flag right on the flag respawn point

sd2,ofire - maps openfire_l and shutdown2
hp - health points

uhmmm. yeah
o_3xternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 05:46 PM   #13
o_nuggs

hh = hand held grenade jump
rjump = rocket jump
bhop = vunny hop, technique to gain speed but turning in air
o_nuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-17-2005, 06:50 PM   #14
o_saintgreg

FUBAR = fucked up beyond all repair
o_saintgreg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 AM   #15
o_fjorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xternal
bment - basement

First person ever in my experience to call the basement bment...

usually in ym experience bments beans battlements
o_fjorn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 06:28 PM   #16
o_hudderz

Can someone tell me what bump means?
o_hudderz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 10:45 PM   #17
o_cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudderz
Can someone tell me what bump means?
"bump" as in bump a thread means that if a thread has been inactive and is no longer visable on the first page you see when you look at a forum. Then term bump is used in a post to well simply bump up the thread to first page again. Hope that was clear enough
o_cruor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #18
o_frontovik

I believe 'bump' is posted to move a thread back to the top of the forum.

Quote:
Anyone who considers themselves "leet" should be able to tell you who/what Razor1911 is, anyone failing to answer this question should be laughed at.
I'm afraid I'll have to be laughed at, since I don't have a clue what 'Razor1911' means. I'll take a guess that he/it was an infamous 1337 user in the days of yore, that is if he/it existed at all
o_frontovik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 10:51 PM   #19
o_cruor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frontovik
I'm afraid I'll have to be laughed at, since I don't have a clue what 'Razor1911' means. I'll take a guess that he/it was an infamous 1337 user in the days of yore, that is if he/it existed at all
Actually they are a veteran releasegroup known to release many fine rips of whatnot
o_cruor is offline   Reply With Quote