Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 02-22-2011, 02:31 PM   #1
Icculus
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Americans aboard hijacked yacht killed by pirates

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-12541297

Anyone else think it's time people took this piracy more seriously? It used to be that the pirates would hijack a ship, demand some money, get paid, and eventually let the people go.

I'm not sure if it's becoming more rampant now or if it just appears that way because it's being reported more.

Regardless, we can't allow them to just kill their hostages because of failed negotiations or refusal to pay a ransom. Don't know if that's the case here, according to the story they were in the middle of negotiations when the hostages were killed.

There is obviously more to the story then just a few assholes trying to make a buck by taking hostages.

- Somalia has had no effective central government since it was overthrown in 1991 allowing piracy to flourish with little repercussions.

- Somalia has relied on it's fishing trade for years to support the local economy but that has suffered greatly due to
Illegal Toxic and Nuclear Waste dumping and Illegal fishing by foreign companies which decimates the fish population.

While some people maintain that piracy is good for the local economy others claim that it makes life more expensive for ordinary people because of the large ammounts of US dollars that are being pumped in which result in wild fluctuations in the exchange rate.

Long story short, it's becoming clear that something needs to be done.

Thoughts?

-Icculus
Icculus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 02:51 PM   #2
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Arrr the sea is my wife, and her pussy is fucking wet
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #3
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
It's more rampant now and it's being reported more because there are more and more hijackings. The BBC reports on this continually. They had a lady on last week or week before from the white house task force on this issue. According to her.

Every ship on the planet couldn't patrol the area.

It would take an Iraq style takeover of Somalia that no one is willing to do right now.

The pirates now have mother ships that extend their reach. A couple were taken out recently.

The pirates only take in 15 percent of their haul. The means organized crime is involved, meaning alot of money is moving around

There is believe to be a trading exchange based in London that is like the Pirate stock exchange.

She wants to target the motivation. Seems plausible. No way we can fund a complete takeover of another fucked up country.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2011, 06:23 PM   #4
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray kitten View Post
It's more rampant now and it's being reported more because there are more and more hijackings. The BBC reports on this continually. They had a lady on last week or week before from the white house task force on this issue. According to her.

Every ship on the planet couldn't patrol the area.

It would take an Iraq style takeover of Somalia that no one is willing to do right now.

The pirates now have mother ships that extend their reach. A couple were taken out recently.

The pirates only take in 15 percent of their haul. The means organized crime is involved, meaning alot of money is moving around

There is believe to be a trading exchange based in London that is like the Pirate stock exchange.

She wants to target the motivation. Seems plausible. No way we can fund a complete takeover of another fucked up country.
What they need to do is hold the companies accountable who dumped toxic and nuclear waste into the water around there and have them pay for cleanup.

Impose very strict penalties for illegal fishing in those waters.

Absolutely and adamently refuse to pay any ransom money whatsoever. No negotiations at all.

Suddenly they wouldn't have the fishing excuse to rationalize pirating and their cash cow would be gone. Eventually things would return to "normal" (whatever that is).

Problem is, who's going to enforce all that?

Old 02-23-2011, 03:32 AM   #5
FrenchToast
The 1337est
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
AMERICA!!

Old 02-23-2011, 12:56 PM   #6
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast View Post
AMERICA!!

Old 02-23-2011, 03:24 PM   #7
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus View Post
What they need to do is hold the companies accountable who dumped toxic and nuclear waste into the water around there and have them pay for cleanup.

Impose very strict penalties for illegal fishing in those waters.

Absolutely and adamently refuse to pay any ransom money whatsoever. No negotiations at all.

Suddenly they wouldn't have the fishing excuse to rationalize pirating and their cash cow would be gone. Eventually things would return to "normal" (whatever that is).

Problem is, who's going to enforce all that?
I wish it could be that simple. I would love to see a couple ships blown to shit to stop these fags. But when you hijack a supertanker with 200 million worth of crude you aren't going to either sink it or not pay pay a tiny percentage to get it back. Thats 200 million before it's refined. And what we consider insignificant to another country is worth paying for. Plus how are you going to enforce fishing when you can't even stop them from pirating? Excuses are exuses, I think the fishing thing is BS. Maybe I believed it 2 years ago. Its way past that now. Now it's big business, you could go into somolia give everyone a job and maybe that would stop them, but then that would solve every issue on the planet in every country that has mass corruption and shit bag dictators.
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 AM   #8
battery
D&A Member

Unleash the Blackwaters marine fighters, and the piracy problem will be over.
battery is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-24-2011, 02:25 PM   #9
Icculus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by battery View Post
Unleash the Blackwaters marine fighters, and the piracy problem will be over.
Either that or the Blackwater guards will be hanging out in bars with the pirates while collecting money on their unfinished contracts.

Old 02-25-2011, 01:19 PM   #10
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Start equipping boats with an automatic self destruct sequence like in star-trek. When it gets taken over by pirates just self destruct. That'll teach 'em!
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-25-2011, 10:15 PM   #11
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
Start equipping boats with an automatic self destruct sequence like in star-trek. When it gets taken over by pirates just self destruct. That'll teach 'em!
No way....start a dialogue with em...we all know the way to overcome your enemy is to dialogue with them.

Seriously though...isn't this something better suited to the UN? Something for which the UN might not make a complete mess of things and could actually rack up their first win?

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 12:21 AM   #12
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Innoc View Post
No way....start a dialogue with em...we all know the way to overcome your enemy is to dialogue with them.

Seriously though...isn't this something better suited to the US? Something for which the US might not make a complete mess of things and could actually rack up their first win?
Fixed that for ya.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 05:34 PM   #13
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
Fixed that for ya.
I knew that was coming...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-26-2011, 05:58 PM   #14
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
At least you took it like I intended it.

Back to the discussion... I wonder what would happen if those pirates hit an Israelli vessel. Would the US put together an intense "seek and destroy" mission together then? What would that say to the world? I'm curious what it will take before either the UN or US will do something. Oil tankers have been seized, helpless citizens of many countries taken as hostages and/or murdered.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter
Iggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-02-2011, 02:54 PM   #15
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

No need to wait for an Israeli vessel. That theory has already been proven. When a US vessel is involved we are there and we tend to take a more pronounced approach. Which is why the scenario in OP ended as it did and why we were able to intervene almost immediately.

Given the similar stance between Isreal and the USA on piracy and terrorism, Isreal would probably give us permission to intervene where other countries would not. And it depends on who is in close proximity and what engagement rules the flag country allows. The USA isn't the only country patrolling the Indian Ocean either. Many are. And most ships are never registered under a USA flag because of choking regulation.

There are around 40 to 50 warships patrolling from USA, EU, Japan, South Korea, China, Russia and India. Seems to me there is more of a stake for the EU and Asia than the USA. But we have the largest presence there. And when a pirate ship is found it's destroyed. Unless it's already got a super tanker from China in tow.

Bottom line is no one wants to take on Somalia. We started too back when Clinton was president and pulled out.

Last edited by stray kitten; 03-02-2011 at 02:58 PM.