Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #1
o_warmage_magus

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
HUD / Death Messeges

Any idea on how these will be, a spinoff of sorts to the TFC ones or something totally different?

I don't exactly know how mod making goes and if you can change the death messeges much from the game being modified, but I've always liked the Half Life and Half Life 2 mods styles of death messeges. I can't stand scrolling text at the top/bottom of the screen.
o_warmage_magus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 06:57 PM   #2
o_billdoor

They will probably show up in the same way as HL/CS/TFC ones. I find it very hard to read the ones in QWTF and Q3F and I think a lot of people do.
o_billdoor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 07:01 PM   #3
o_sobe green

What about the smaller errors in the current death sprites. For example the tranq kill and the nailgun kill looking the same, no official sprite for dispenser kills. Will every death have its own death sprite where possible?
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #4
o_billdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
What about the smaller errors in the current death sprites. For example the tranq kill and the nailgun kill looking the same, no official sprite for dispenser kills. Will every death have its own death sprite where possible?
It's not something I've discussed with the rest of the team, but I assume they will all have their own sprites. Check out aXon's death sprites for TFC if you don't already have them -- they don't add new sprites for any of the "regular" weapons, but they add special sprites for detpack, worldspawn, laser and train death, among others. Amazingly, the 2 year old link on pixel's forums still works: http://www.pixelmaps.com/viewthread.php?id=8

Old 02-10-2005, 08:35 PM   #5
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdoor
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoBe Green
It's not something I've discussed with the rest of the team, but I assume they will all have their own sprites. Check out aXon's death sprites for TFC if you don't already have them -- they don't add new sprites for any of the "regular" weapons, but they add special sprites for detpack, worldspawn, laser and train death, among others. Amazingly, the 2 year old link on pixel's forums still works: http://www.pixelmaps.com/viewthread.php?id=8
Thanks after freshly installing TFC I had intended on finding those death sprites again but I had gotten lazy.

Old 02-10-2005, 09:21 PM   #6
o_thedarkone

Hey look, it's me.
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 09:45 PM   #7
o_silver

HI!!!

o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-10-2005, 11:18 PM   #8
o_frontovik

This is slightly off topic, but will FF feature the info messages from the WON versions? I mean such as "Player has built a sentry gun" or "Player picked up the enemy flag" in the top left corner. They aren't essential but I found them quite useful.
o_frontovik is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 12:34 AM   #9
o_a boojum snark

If you add death death sprites for various entities it might be a good idea to allow mappers to custom pick what sprite is displayed when a given entity kills someone, since you can use various entities for many things. Such as func_door and func_train can both be used for elevators, which are meant to be made with func_plat :P
o_a boojum snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2005, 02:31 AM   #10
o_sobe green

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boojum Snark
If you add death death sprites for various entities it might be a good idea to allow mappers to custom pick what sprite is displayed when a given entity kills someone, since you can use various entities for many things. Such as func_door and func_train can both be used for elevators, which are meant to be made with func_plat :P
I don't think that has ever been done before. I'm not even sure if its possible to make the death sprites display different sprites for the same death event under different circumstances. Interesting idea though.

Old 02-11-2005, 03:21 AM   #11
o_a boojum snark

Well, in TFC there was a setting on trigger_hurts that let you specify the death message, so instead of "Player killed self with trigger_hurt" you could say "Player killed self with the big pit of doom".
If you set the death message to say... tf_weapon_railgun, the railgun death sprite would show up and the console would report "Player killed self with railgun". So it should be possible.
o_a boojum snark is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 07:41 AM   #12
o_zsleek7

This is probably a lost cause to fight for but....

Maybe remove death messages completely. I think the main advantage is to increase the need for communication within the teams. It would also allow for more multiple kills, especially for the spy, if the opposing team does not use good communication.

I see two potential problems with my idea
1. people dont get instant recognition for a multiple kill/crowbar kill/tranq kill
2. the skill of watching&reacting to the death messages is removed and more communication must take its place

Dont see #2 as a problem and here is a fix for #1
a. At the end of the round create a logalyzer type display so people can check their stats (this can be toggled on/off to see b.)
b. have the multi-kills/tranq/crowbar kills of the previous round playing for all of the people in the server to see (dont know if this is possible)
c. add certain icon "awards" for people who do things that arnt typically awarded for points like healing, flag touches, etc (got this from another thread somewhere)
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 04:39 PM   #13
o_billdoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Boojum Snark
This is a good idea if it's possible, but the custom download system may not be versatile enough to download HUD sprites.

Old 02-20-2005, 04:42 PM   #14
o_roughneck

Steam confuses me...where do I put the death sprites?
o_roughneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-20-2005, 04:57 PM   #15
o_sobe green

In the folder called "sprites" in your TFC directory.

Old 02-20-2005, 08:25 PM   #16
o_vanquish

I actually like the idea of removing the death messages, just so long as it's an option. I could see it being used in clan matches a lot to encourage more communication, but left on in pubs because quite frankly it's a rarity to find communication in a pub.
o_vanquish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 07:23 AM   #17
o_thedarkone

I really like the sprite system Hl/source uses- it beats the hell out of the generic text. Just make sure the sprites line up better with the player names than they do in NS!
o_thedarkone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #18
o_shadowe

What i'm hoping for is a full-color hud, or at least an opaque one. I'm getting a little tired of playing iSpy with all the sprites the game uses.
o_shadowe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 04:24 PM   #19
o_binarylife

Custom death sprites may get annoying. Remember new players to the server will have to download them, as well as take an extra second to figure out why they hit with a train and the sprite list says he was killed with shotgun.

Granted the changes you're talking about aren't so extreme. But not all server owners are as nice as you are, and some may just tae advantage of the freedom with horribly contracted sprites.
o_binarylife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-21-2005, 04:39 PM   #20
o_mooga

Is it safe to say that you can center players names when you see them in combat? I can't see the names when they apear in the lower left hand corner.
o_mooga is offline   Reply With Quote