Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Debates & Arguments

Old 01-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #41
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by binky View Post
I think its silly that people would rather avoid the content of the comment in order to inject their partisan political agendas (here and in the media) then to discuss the merits of the comment.
Yes, which has been my point all along. The double standard that exists to elude the actual discussion of the individual and his comments is staggering, hell you've seen a classic example of the mentality from two people here evenn: "They did it so why can't he?"

Scuzzy

Old 01-12-2010, 07:45 PM   #42
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
I'm still awaiting my apology on behalf of all of the dark-skinned people, those with negro-dialects, and those who are dark-skinned who also have negro-dialects. Not that I'm of dark skin or speak with a negro-dialect.

Also, for calling me a racist indirectly.

This is absurd. The dude made a racist comment. If you don't recognize it as that then you're probably a racist or a dunce. If you defend him then you're probably a racist or a dunce.

Why he's apologized to Obama is beyond me. He gave Obama a COMPLIMENT based on his world view. What he said, though, is an insult to everybody else based on the reality of the world. He should be apologizing to us.

Essentially what he said was that if Obama was of darker meat, he wouldn't have won.

Harry Reid: Fuck you. I donated money to this man (http://allenwestforcongress.com/). He's darker than you are and I didn't vote for Obama.

This race shit is annoying, has always been annoying, and will continue to be annoying as long as it's brought up. I don't care if he said it in 2008, 2012, or 1966. A racist comment is a racist comment. Even further, the double standard that exists is just laughable. From both parties.

Ronald Reagan
Credge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 08:45 PM   #43
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Complaining about words doesn't exactly help put the race issue to rest. That has been my argument for some time, that both sides of the 'race issue' perpetuate it just as much as the other. No one wants to get over racism, trust me. Everyone wins something with racism.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2010, 09:22 PM   #44
Etzell
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
No, why would I? Both cases were handled independently, in one case they faked the outraged to gain political points and power, in the other they showed their true colors by defending his comments by claiming he "mispoke". Both show the real intentions of the party leadership when it comes to racism.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictionary.com
in⋅de⋅pend⋅ent - not influenced or controlled by others in matters of opinion, conduct, etc.; thinking or acting for oneself: an independent thinker.
If you truly want things to be handled independently, then you must admit that you can't compare it to another case.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #45
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
If you truly want things to be handled independently, then you must admit that you can't compare it to another case.
Which again begs the question, why'd you bring it up in the first place?

Old 01-13-2010, 02:16 PM   #46
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
Complaining about words doesn't exactly help put the race issue to rest. That has been my argument for some time, that both sides of the 'race issue' perpetuate it just as much as the other. No one wants to get over racism, trust me. Everyone wins something with racism.
I assume everyone includes everyone but white males. Racism can't touch us, yet, we've got some massive white guilt. It's absurd.

Ronald Reagan

Old 01-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #47
stray kitten
mjau
D&A Member

Class/Position: kittens are sneaky, spy
Gametype: Capture the mouse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
This race shit is annoying, has always been annoying, and will continue to be annoying as long as it's brought up. I don't care if he said it in 2008, 2012, or 1966. A racist comment is a racist comment. Even further, the double standard that exists is just laughable. From both parties.
this
6 of the 10 richest counties in America now surround Washington D.C. Our "capitol" edged out Silicon Valley as the nation's richest metro area. Reality Distortion Field = 1. Stream the distractions: One percent, hoodies, and kony oh my.
stray kitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 05:44 PM   #48
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Which again begs the question, why'd you bring it up in the first place?
I wasn't the one calling for independence.

I brought it up to disprove your theory of it being a vast liberal conspiracy to let democrats get away with it and hang republicans.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:55 PM   #49
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
I wasn't the one calling for independence.

I brought it up to disprove your theory of it being a vast liberal conspiracy to let democrats get away with it and hang republicans.
Your brought up the comparison, and my question, which has always been, was why did you bring up that comparison if you don't believe there's any relation?

Old 01-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #50
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

It was brought up because you said there was some indication of hypocrisy. You were correct, there was a lot of hypocrisy--coming from the GOP, that is. While the GOP continually dismissed the right's racist attacks against Obama as nothing significant, they went full-force in their ravenous retching up of rhetoric against Reid for his pointing out of how racist people like you and the rest of the GOP are. Yeah, it's a good indication of hypocrisy, which is why it was brought up.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.
uBeR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-14-2010, 11:33 PM   #51
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

I have not seen the GOP leadership do that, in fact that had their leader of the senate step down for his comments. Why you feel hypocrisy (made up or otherwise) has to do with whether or not Reid should be held accountable for his actions is something I don't believe I'm going to understand uBeR. You also do not need to personally attack me uBeR, I realize that there isn't anything within our personal philosophy against it, but it isn't necessary.

Scuzzy

Old 01-15-2010, 12:53 AM   #52
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Your brought up the comparison, and my question, which has always been, was why did you bring up that comparison if you don't believe there's any relation?
Because YOU do. When you say things like:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
Would a leader of the republican party still have his job if he/she'd said this? Would the press do everything they can to force Reid to step down?
You invite people to find comparisons. I have.
If you think that every case should be handled independently, then your first post is meaningless.
If you don't, then carry on.

Old 01-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #53
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Credge View Post
I assume everyone includes everyone but white males. Racism can't touch us, yet, we've got some massive white guilt. It's absurd.
While I've seen that "white guilt" I don't have it. I treat people based on how they behave.

As to Harry Reid. He (mis)represents my state and there is nothing he can do at this point that would make me like him other than resign. The election through which he gained that office was a travesty. His campaign was as nasty as anything I've ever seen....ever. His actions in office and meeting with him on one occasion in my role representing a trade organization 15 years ago cemented my view of him. That said...

I don't think Reids comment is that big a deal. He's an ass and he's behaving as expected. I am hopeful that his behavior over the past couple of years will cost him his seat. If anyone should feel insulted it should be white people. Do I think the MSM would react differently had it been a Republican who said this? Yes but, frankly, I am having a hard time coming up with an example that demonstrates my view. I keep hearing Trent Lott coming up but I don't believe the two situations are a good comparison. Comparing Clinton's comment that "x years ago this guy would have been serving us coffee" on Obama is probably closer to Lott's...though I don't know that I've heard much outcry there...

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.
Innoc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2010, 02:30 AM   #54
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

BTW, which GOP talking-heads have been up in arms over the Census's use of the word "Negro"?

Old 01-15-2010, 10:21 AM   #55
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by uBeR View Post
BTW, which GOP talking-heads have been up in arms over the Census's use of the word "Negro"?
I'll respond in a new thread, since it doesn't really apply to this one.

Scuzzy

Old 01-15-2010, 02:56 PM   #56
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

I think it does.

Old 01-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #57
Credge
FF Loremaster
Beta Tester

Innoc sums up my views and opinions in one well put post.

Ronald Reagan