Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 07-15-2007, 12:33 AM   #1
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
Release Date

no no no...calm down children, not your typical when ff will out thread..

but i've been thinking..October 9th rapidly approaches with the release of the gold package from valve, including tf2. now, i have no idea how close or how far we REALLY are to release of ff, but if were still looking at say september, then maybe wait until the pr tidal wave of tf2 passes over and launch dec/jan?

imo, this accomplishes several things. 1) as much as this (ff) is made for the community and by the community, everyone still wants this to have a large of a playerbase as possible. launching so close to tf2 will hurt ff as it can't compete against the pr monster that is valve. 2) maybe there's some inherent things wrong with tf2 (or right) that can be added to ff after experiencing the game.

i dunno..launches so close together if that is reality just seems like a bad idea to me. as much as i want to play ff, maybe let tf2 blow over a bit first.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 12:36 AM   #2
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
i say before tf2. that soon after ppl will still be interested in the game...especially since they can rotate with 2 others.
Beetle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
puppychow
Arf!
D&A Member

Send a message via MSN to puppychow Send a message via Yahoo to puppychow
depends when. if ff would be ready in early aug, id say go then. in sept and T - 30 days to launch of tf2 is bad busniess if you ask me. im not sure ppl realize how huge tf2 is going to be.
puppychow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 04:15 AM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
I'm seeing Valve's recently packaging options as a hindrance to TF2 actually. Many, many HL fans already own HL2 and probably Ep1, so I don't see the reasoning behind making them buy both again just to get the packaged deal of TF2, Ep2 and portal.

I'm wagering they're going to sell all of them separately for more than the packaged deal is, couldn't imagine why they'd do otherwise, so I'd say that TF2 sales will be less than the hype tells us it will be. I remember how much they pushed DoD:S and how excited I was to get it yet it has turned out as more or less a flop.

Hopefully FF is done and out long before Valve gets TF2 released, not to hurt TF2 but to get the chance to grow before TF2 is pushed on everyone for a few months and then forgotten about.

Seeing Valve's history with its not-so-popular games, I believe that FF will remain strong for as long as we have a dedicated team available to support it, because we know that Valve won't.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 04:22 AM   #5
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost
I'm wagering they're going to sell all of them separately for more than the packaged deal is, couldn't imagine why they'd do otherwise, so I'd say that TF2 sales will be less than the hype tells us it will be. I remember how much they pushed DoD:S and how excited I was to get it yet it has turned out as more or less a flop.
Troo dat!
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
I'm seeing Valve's recently packaging options as a hindrance to TF2 actually. Many, many HL fans already own HL2 and probably Ep1, so I don't see the reasoning behind making them buy both again just to get the packaged deal of TF2, Ep2 and portal.

Hopefully FF is done and out long before Valve gets TF2 released, not to hurt TF2 but to get the chance to grow before TF2 is pushed on everyone for a few months and then forgotten about.

Seeing Valve's history with its not-so-popular games, I believe that FF will remain strong for as long as we have a dedicated team available to support it, because we know that Valve won't.
I'll wager on the possibility of more than one package available over STEAM. Now, we've gotta remember that The Orange Box has always been slated towards the console versions of these games where The Black Box (cancelled) was slated towards the PC version. Also, that's pretty much a store-bought retail product. That doesn't outright cancel the possibility of a package on STEAM as well; as they have 100s of different packages for every Valve title as is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coronius
Troo dat!
C:\WINDOWS\System32\tru.dat
Anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 06:12 AM   #7
C-Aim
Better than Never

Quote:
Most people I've seen online who own HL2 and Ep1 already are saying that they don't care because it is still the price of a single game. My biggest fear is that they buy the package and then create alt accounts to hack with (because valve already said you can create separate accounts w/ full HL2 access if you already own HL2 and buy the orange box) and we will get over run.
C-Aim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:17 AM   #8
Coronius
Alcoholic Artist

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Another thought:

Maby releasing FF before TF2 gets "settled in" is a good idea. I mean if someone gets hooked with tf2 before they play ff theyll diss ff for tf2. So what im sayin is release ff before tf2 and let players get settled with ff and then when tf2 comes theyll diss that instead.
Coronius is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
StrickNine

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-Aim
Most people I've seen online who own HL2 and Ep1 already are saying that they don't care because it is still the price of a single game. My biggest fear is that they buy the package and then create alt accounts to hack with (because valve already said you can create separate accounts w/ full HL2 access if you already own HL2 and buy the orange box) and we will get over run.

So what you're really saying is you're afraid that people will be hacking alot in HL2M, since most people will buy the orange box, and have one copy of TF2.

I encourage the dev team to release ff when they think it is as close to done as possible, no matter how long before or after tf2 is released.

Release your baby with as little birth defects as possible.
StrickNine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 11:08 AM   #10
StatisticZ
My title is... Custom.

I think some of these fears that FF will be forgotten over TF2 are retarded tbh. The game will be free will it not? (to HL-2 owners) What gamer doesn't run to a good looking free game? And I can't agree with the last part of StrickNines post, I'd rather play FF a few bugs, than wait another year and a half for those bugs to be fixed and following bugs to be fixed.
StatisticZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 03:41 PM   #11
FordGT

Quote:
Originally Posted by [StatisticZ]
I think some of these fears that FF will be forgotten over TF2 are retarded tbh. The game will be free will it not? (to HL-2 owners) What gamer doesn't run to a good looking free game? And I can't agree with the last part of StrickNines post, I'd rather play FF a few bugs, than wait another year and a half for those bugs to be fixed and following bugs to be fixed.
There are plenty of well made mods out there that never became popular because not enough people downloaded them.

Now, obviously, Fortress Forever is quite a cut above your average mod, and it has much more fanfare than your average mod.

However, I think if TF2 beats FF to release, it's going to hurt FF's potential playerbase. That's one of the reasons I wanted to see it released (were it complete) a year ago. It could have really built a solid fanbase ahead of TF2.
FordGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #12
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Quote:
Originally Posted by [StatisticZ]
I think some of these fears that FF will be forgotten over TF2 are retarded tbh. The game will be free will it not? (to HL-2 owners)
You do not even need HL2; you just need Source SDK Base. If you own NO Valve games whatsoever, the cheapest way to play it is to but HL2 : DM.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:32 PM   #13
Sureshot
Winner

The devs have already said they would give good notice before they would consider giving a solid release date - most likely a month. This means you can consider the release date to be more than a month away until they say something otherwise.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 07:51 PM   #14
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sureshot
The devs have already said they would give good notice before they would consider giving a solid release date - most likely a month. This means you can consider the release date to be more than a month away until they say something otherwise.
which totally sucks.

Old 07-15-2007, 08:42 PM   #15
Sureshot
Winner

Yes.
Sureshot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2007, 11:39 PM   #16
magzy

I second that.
magzy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2007, 12:52 AM   #17
arsenal

Yeah, I think more than a 1 month buffer is necessary between ff and tf2 releases.

it's been in closed beta for a year now, jeez
arsenal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2007, 01:59 AM   #18
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
If TF2 builds a dedicated fanbase (In an example that we release after), then how would we get those players to "defect" to our side? We need to release before, that we we can build a dedicated base instead of a defected base. We will have a bigger community because of it. If the devs are able to release a month before TF2, then I'd say go for it. If not, we may have to wait 3 or 4 months for release for it to be effective. Thats almost a half a year gap.
Release date announcment by August? If not I wouldn't expect it till November/December.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2007, 02:01 AM   #19
Beetle
Beta than eva'

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmofo
If TF2 builds a dedicated fanbase (In an example that we release after), then how would we get those players to "defect" to our side? We need to release before, that we we can build a dedicated base instead of a defected base. We will have a bigger community because of it. If the devs are able to release a month before TF2, then I'd say go for it. If not, we may have to wait 3 or 4 months for release for it to be effective. Thats almost a half a year gap.
Release date announcment by August? If not I wouldn't expect it till November/December.
i agree

Old 07-16-2007, 02:29 AM   #20
luminous

if they are released too close together it will be like Deep Impact and Armageddon, both were about the same thing effectively, but released with very little gap between them, so Armageddons superior marketing/hype/actors made Deep Impact almost forgotten about..

when ff will out?
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote