Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Who's playing Oblivion...

... and what mods are you using?

I'm level 19 now, and I picked up the horse mod, one to add cats because I thought it was cool, one to make the GUI look far better and a leveling mod, because I'm getting my ass handed to me... by wolves and zombies! All it does is adjust the max levels of many of the creatures, something I definitly needed since I'm not playing a hardcore combat character. I got tired of getting the shit kicked out of me (light armor is my highest skill, 65, so that should say something) by the damned mountain lions. Who, by the way, have uber sneak detect turned on. Sonsabitches see me half a mile away, dead of night, unmoving and haul balls to maul me into the ground. So after getting a few goblin skirmishers with rusty iron daggers doing 20 damage per hit, I decided to get a little help, got a mod that raises bow damage, I thought it was cheap until I come across a dread zombie half an hour later. That extra 40% damage let me kill him in 20-30 arrows instead of the 60 it should have taken.

So what mods do you guys use and what kind of characters are you playing? I'm sure the leveling scale is an issue for anyone not playing by min/max with combat skills or bypassing the levelling system all together, which seems to be a popular method.

Oh, I found one that makes you gain a level every 12 skill increases instead of 10, which I find extremely helpful in keeping an edge on the suped up skeletons and goblins of dhoom.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 02:18 PM   #2
o_yoshura

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
I use:
G_'s Loot mod - balance the loot tables, very good
Sage's Creature Balancing - ZOMG PACK OF WOLVES RUN! (adds in some extra spawns, tweaks their combat behaviour, and balances their stats and leveled majigy thingys for all NPCs/creatures)
AF Level Mod (beta 2.9b4) - Excellent mod, stats are based on your skills, lots of options to pick (theres on option to pick 'combat skill leveling only', wich will increase your level only with things like blunt/blade, armors, and destruction magic, so increasing mercantile 50 times wont increase your level and gimp you on the newer enemies - kinda neat)
Increased training allownace - allows you to train more per level (50 times!)
Evantal's Dual Wielding - adds in off-hand blocking swords
Kal's Weapon rebalance - adjusts weapon stats for better balance

and the coolest one

Sentient Weapons - quest for a possesed weapon (3 right now, or a hybrid of the 3) that will yell at you while you adventure (OVER 300 VOICE OVERS!!! High quality, fun stuff) each one has its own personality
o_yoshura is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 03:35 PM   #3
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

SP or Online play? I've been watching forums chatter on this game and I am interested.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 04:02 PM   #4
o_ivaqual

edit : nm, misread your post. oblivion is SP only.
o_ivaqual is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 05:29 PM   #5
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, sadly. I wouldn't even care if I could play with more than a few people, I'd love to have a co-op version of Oblivion. Maybe 4 guys, dungeon crawling, kickin goblin ass and chewing bubblegum.

You are a pirate!

Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #6
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Gametype: AvD
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
I haven't been playing it actively lately, but here's what I know I've got.

BTMod - UI tweaks, probably the same one you have.
No Psychic Guards - guards have to be closer to hear cries for help.
Oscuro's Oblivion Overhaul - levelling tweaks, new NPC mob types, etc.
Faster Arrows - I wonder.
Less Fog Underwater - makes moving around underwater less.. dark.
Khajiit Night-Eye Toggler - just makes sense.
Multiple landscape texture replacement mods.
Better Skies/Weather - realistic weather patterns and better skyboxes.
Unlimited Rings/Amulets - really easy to become god-like with, so I stick to four rings/two amulets max.
Perception - adds a spell that shows you what level, comparatively, the creatures/people around you are.

I can't remember the others right now.

A tip about levelling: once you hit level 10, stop levelling up immediately. Let your skills keep building up, but don't sleep unless you have to. Since Oblivion now allows you to gain multiple levels independently of one another, you can hold those levels and keep gaining them, but they don't take effect until you actually sleep and level up. Fortunately you no longer need to sleep in a bed to regain health, either, so you can go a very long time without resting. When you're ready to level up (the current enemies no longer present a challenge), hop into bed, gain one level, and see how it goes.

As for my character, I'm currently playing an Argonian Blackscale (custom class, blade/sneak/security/marksman/light armor/acrobatics/armorer, named because I tweaked the skintone during character creation to be shiny black with red trails, looks really sweet) and am level 8 or so, headed to Kvatch right now.

Old 05-11-2006, 06:22 PM   #7
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

I ended up using 2 skills a lot that aren't main skills for me: Illusion (for invisibility) and Conjuration (for summoning ass-kickers). It worked out really well, because I don't tend to level that quickly, so I don't have to worry too much about getting level screwed. I'm about level 22 right now, and have done a good chunk of the main and optional quests (mages guild, etc) Plus, invisibility basically grants me a free sword sneak attack, which outright kills weaker enemies, and makes it so I can literally stroll through Oblivion gates
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 06:36 PM   #8
o_anshinritsumai

24 Hour Respawn:
Respawns most npcs in game (world & dungeons) within 24 hours, instead of the much longer 2-3 days.

Ultimate Archer:
Lowers the weight of arrows to none or 1, arrows move faster after being shot, and arrows do slightly more damage (Previously it'd take 14-20 arrows to kill someone head on without a sneak attack; now it'll take 10-16).

More Generic Faces:
Many more faces when using reset option in the character creation menu.

More Arrows Recovered:
Increases the chance to recover arrows from npc's corpses. Previously it was a 50% chance to recover all arrows, now it's upwards of 80% to recover all arrows.

ANB Regen:
Regen health slowly when health is near death; regen health faster when health is close to max.

Dark Brotherhood PoisonApple:
Allows the 2nd vendor of the Dark Brotherhood to carry Poison Apples.

Deadlier Sneaking:
Increases the sneak attack bonuses for melee and ranged (bow), (where it's usually 2x sneak attack, it might be 3-8x, pending enemy health/armor, and your damage (bow+arrow / melee).

Emporer Face:
Makes the Emporer's face look like it does in the video, rather than all shrivelled up like a raisen.

Movie Vampire:
Rather than going days without blood and gaining + to your stats; drinking blood more often will keep the stats, as your stats will lower without drinking blood; basically the opposite of what the default vampire state in oblivion is.

Khajiit Night Eye Toggle:
Turns the Khajiit Night Eye spell, into a toggle-able effect, rather than a 30 second duration spell.

Landmarks:
Puts all discovered landmarks on your map, as it'll be a pain in the ass to try and remember where you saw that landmark before.

Quick Character:
Make your character appearance, then have the option to skip to the end of the sewers (just before you exit, where you're given the option to edit class, birthsign, and appearance).

Merchants Buy Your Clutter:
Merchants will now buy miscellaneous shit like they did in Morrowind (forks, cloth, plates, cups, etc); and they'll have a not-to-bad price tag on them.

No Psychic Guards:
Guards have to be closer to hear screams (ie: almost right infront of the door) when stealing or killing.

Ring of Atmospherancy:
This little ring is an eye-candy effect; you can change the weather of where you are (except in dungeons and scripted effects, Kvatch for example).

X-Ray Detect:
Changes the shader of Detect Life from the purplish cloud, to an X-Ray like effect.
o_anshinritsumai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

Yeah, archers did get pretty screwed in Oblivion.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:26 PM   #10
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Thats awesome Circ, I'll have to try that on an Argonian next time around. I actually made the exact same character, except with a Dark Elf, minus the armorer anyways.

I thought about skipping leveling, but I didn't want to do that just to survive. I lubs sneaking and stealing, but since I level sneak up tons, it costs me in combat when I level. I downloaded OOO, but I didn't like all the extra's it changed, took a while to find one that was as good but only the scaling effects.

Yet another way of making the game more fair in terms of levels, is to make a fighter and instead of putting your main skills as Major skills, put them as minor and put side skills there; i.e. mercantile, illusion, alchemy, and just raise them as you go and fight all the time. It makes sense really, since skills are pretty easy to raise early on. And thank god marksmanship is so easy to raise now, it was nearly impossible in Morrowind since it only counted when you hit.

I tell you though, I hate getting punched for 20 points of damage by a damned goblin, that just pisses me the hell off. And the fact that everyone you cross is grandmaster-mother-effer at blocking is insane.

But I'm damned sure going to get the Psychic guard mod, makes my life of crime far easier.

You are a pirate!

Old 05-11-2006, 07:31 PM   #11
o_soulcutter

I'm a redguard Paladin (I created it, basically a Crusader with Armorer in place of Destruction) and about level 33. I haven't done much of the main quest, just going around doing as many sidequests as I can and checking out all the dungeons and stuff.

I'm using Francesco's leveled items and creatures mod. It has pretty much everything you need, I really like it.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 07:32 PM   #12
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Still, holding off on levelling is a good idea, and will save you a lot of grief later on, regardless of what level scaling mod you get.

I'll try taking some screenshots of the sliders so you can try the black Argonian thing. He seriously looks badass - I wish there were a proper Unarmored skill so I wouldn't have to cover him up in absurdly bulky leather.

Old 05-11-2006, 07:57 PM   #13
o_|404|innoc-tpf-

Bought Oblivion today...will check it out this weekend.
o_|404|innoc-tpf- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-11-2006, 11:23 PM   #14
o_dr zauis

great game, i havent used any mods on it, and im about to finsih the game at level 40 right now.
o_dr zauis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-14-2006, 05:52 PM   #15
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

My blackscale Argonian - is that not the perfect sky? So fitting.

Close-up

Face "Tone" sliders - in case you wanna make your own!

Last edited by Circuitous; 05-14-2006 at 06:36 PM.
Circuitous is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-2006, 03:17 AM   #16
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Hells ya, I'm gonna try that, looks damned sweet Circ.

You are a pirate!

Old 05-15-2006, 03:32 AM   #17
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Indeed.

Oh, and I saw some more of the mods I have. These aren't the proper names, I don't think.

Various UI fixes - crosshair/positioning tweaks mostly.
Hide in Battle - enemies can lose sight of you! Finally!
Spell Purchase fixes - adds spells that were "missing" from the spell merchants.
Scythes! - adds some bad-ass scythes to Smash 'n Bash.
Movable Bodies - makes bodies easier to move, but not to lift for some reason.

and some others I've already forgotten. Whee!

Old 05-15-2006, 05:15 AM   #18
Jiggles
Retired FF Staff

He was too sexy for his shirt.

Old 05-15-2006, 05:24 AM   #19
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

He sneaks better without it, I haven't found a shirt adequately dark.

Besides, those scales are awesome.

Old 05-15-2006, 08:30 AM   #20
o_vorm

I dont understand - so you all buy this game and then hack it to make it easier?

V.
o_vorm is offline   Reply With Quote