Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
I actually enjoyed Neo-TFC.... but the thing is, I knew going onto those servers that they differed from most TFC servers. Drippy's modifications are not to the core gameplay(except for limiting bunnyhop), but mostly visual. You still had the classes behaving the same as you would on other servers, with the same abilities, weapons, and grenades.
I think I hated servers that limited bunnyhopping even more than NeoTF servers that didn't limit bunnyhopping. It was a way to hold back skill level because the players couldn't learn to play the game as Valve made it (yes, Valve intentionally left bunnyhopping in). It was as idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping. I remember playing on one TFC server that banned rocket jumping. It was lol.

Old 07-27-2011, 01:38 AM   #2
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose View Post
I think I hated servers that limited bunnyhopping even more than NeoTF servers that didn't limit bunnyhopping. It was a way to hold back skill level because the players couldn't learn to play the game as Valve made it (yes, Valve intentionally left bunnyhopping in). It was as idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping. I remember playing on one TFC server that banned rocket jumping. It was lol.
Yes, I know Valve left Bunnyhopping in as a skill mechanic. I never hated on them for it, even if I couldn't get it right. I disagree with you, though... in the idiotic as servers that banned rocket and conc jumping(and I know one particular server that banned me, just for wearing a "clan" tag, even though I broke no rules). The difference is that even if the mechanic was semi-disabled... players were not denied playing on the server. Limiting the maximum player speed was no different than altering the gravity on the server. Everyone played, with no banning going on. If you didn't want to play within the limit, there were other servers(usually with more skilled players on them) to play on... but your ability to play on the server wasn't denied.

Don't forget.... many of those "capped" servers tended to cater to either newbies, or the casual gamer that either doesn't have the time or ambition to learn those skills. That doesn't make it a bad thing, unless you simply go banning people for having skills. (Yes, that's where OGABs went overboard, IMHO)

My only real concern about this, is with regards to new players. If those servers advertise themselves as "2.43", and new players see the server populated they will join, thinking they are joining a more or less stock server. If they've read the changelog, they will see a new Soldier and HW grenade, and expect to play with that. When they see the "old" grenades, they will think someone on the Dev team released a fucked up game, or changelog, or something went wrong with their install, or who knows what.

If they want to make these changes, but advertise the server(s) as "modified 2.43".... then I don't really have a problem with it.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter

Closed Thread