Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 02-04-2005, 03:39 PM   #1
o_kalashnikov

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hello: Questions.

Hello everyone, my name is Jon.

I'm presently conducting an article on the Source remakes presently underway by third-party developers (aka, not Valve or any other mainstream game industry developers) such as Decay, Fortress Forever and Black Mesa: Source. After speaking with the Fortress Forever staff, we would like to hear your views on the modification by answering a few questions for us:

1. As Team Fortress Classic gamers, do you feel that the Fortress Forever development team is doing a good mix between changes in and original gameplay styles for the new modification? If so, breifly express why. If not, breifly explain why.

2. Are you pleased with development progress up until now? Why or why not?

All of your responses are appriciated. With these questions I hope gather a large picture of how the community feels as I have hopefully captured how the development team feels and looks on about Fortress Forever.
o_kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 03:50 PM   #2
o_|rbk|newbie

1. I do very much so. After seeing how many time's you'll read "I like that idea, I'll talk with the team" or hearing people talk about how that would change gameplay for the worse. This community has had a lot to say about keeping the essence that's kept us playing QWTF, TF, and TFC for so long.

2. I am very pleased with the progress, Sometimes I get little case of excitement from seeing what's new, and the creenshots and renders...*DROOL*
o_|rbk|newbie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 04:08 PM   #3
o_zsleek7

I feel the same as newbie. The FF team has done an excellent job.
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 04:45 PM   #4
o_nitro?

1. The big part that makes me so excited about this mod is that the development team is very tfc minded and know what the game needs. Seeing as they were all active in leagues and such. There for they know what the game needs to be even better and thus results in a game that attracts old skool players and a new crowd.

2. As far as how the game is finished I have no idea but they give frequent updates to please the community and show that they are actually doing something.
o_nitro? is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:02 PM   #5
o_qbaler

1. I believe that the FF team is staying as true to tfc as possible. There changes are for the better (many of the changes are things the community has wanted for years) and they generaly will not change the game we have grown to love. Unlike valve, this dev team loves the tfc game and has been a part of its community for many years. The FF community has been around for years as well (for a big portion that is). From top leaguers to regs to complete noobs, this community has it all and the FF team is there to hear all of their ideas.

2. As the dev team has said, many of them have been thinking or working on the mod since 2003. I believe that the major production of media has only been in the works for about 3 months or so. With that said, I am very impresed at the speed of production and quality of work. Their models are new and exciting and the maps look incredible. Similar to what newbie said, for me, every time they release more media I get chills thinking about playing this game.
o_qbaler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:28 PM   #6
o_silver

1. Wile providing changes to certain things in game such as certain exploits (nail nade) to sg set up, and of course the models. the dev teams has stated over and over again thier dedication to a TFC style of play, so no matter what they add i believe it will be balanced, new, and true to TFC.

2. They have provided us with numerous updates and have tried to give us them at least once a week. i for 1 am extremely pleased with both the quantity and quality of thier work and believe, from what has been seen so far, that this will be an amazing game that will be as good as, if not better, than the original TFC
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:34 PM   #7
o_3xternal

1. Definitly. Each concern expressed by the hard-cores has been met with either a confident reply that the dev team has already discussed the issue, or has been discussed by the community and resolved. The dev team is very much on top of everything. They have earned the community's respect quickly with a vast knowledge of the game, including its short-comings and outstanding features.

2. I check the site daily and am often surprised at how fast it progresses. They release great screenies of thier progress and then open stickies in the forums for discussion. It is well organized.

Over all, It seems the project is in the best hands it could be, and I speak for all when I say "Thank God someone with the ambition and know-how has created this project". Valve gave the community the shaft when it created all the realistic mods in Source format, and ignored the best Mod of all.
o_3xternal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:39 PM   #8
o_silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Xternal
.... best Mod of all.
most definently
o_silver is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:42 PM   #9
o_sobe green

1. Can't say anything these guys haven't already said.

2. Same thing.

The staff has listened to everything we've all said so far.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-04-2005, 05:45 PM   #10
o_balls

1. I feel confident that the dev team know what they are doing. Personally, i think its going to be a brilliant MOD, with everything from TFC but better. I look at it as a new TFC with all the tweaks that TFC was missing, on the HL2 engine...

2. The progress thats been made so far is excellent in my opinion. I like how they're keeping us up to date with most things and yet, still hiding alot of other elements of the game for our suprise later on. So when we play the released game, there will still be plenty of things to discover and play around with (e.g. the scouts primary grenade)
o_balls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 06:51 AM   #11
o_nuggs

1. If one takes a close look at the dev team, you will understand that they are far from TFC newb.s. Defrag was the first TFC celebrity that I knew of, and you can be assured he is old school. They knew the game from the start and understandwhat it used to be like

2. Yes. There are no more teleporters and hte new disp looks awesome
o_nuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 07:18 AM   #12
o_vertical

What "3Xternal" said...
o_vertical is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 08:42 AM   #13
o_merovingian

Quote:
As Team Fortress Classic gamers, do you feel that the Fortress Forever development team is doing a good mix between changes in and original gameplay styles for the new modification? If so, breifly express why. If not, breifly explain why.
Well, as a remake of TFC, they're mostly on the right track (though if they left out bunny hopping, I'd be very pleased). However, it is my opinion that this is an opportunity to make a full reimaging of the game. Take the gameplay ideals of TFC and create all new classes for it. This same game has been made as a mod for no less than 5 separate games now (Q1, HL, Q3, UT/UT2K3, and Wolfenstein:ET). What the TFC community needs is an honest-to-God sequel that stays true to the tennants of the original design of TFC while changing enough to warrent being called a new game. This can expand the community and breath real life back into TFC. And if Valve isn't going to provide it, as they have shown no interest in doing so yet, then the TFC community should step up.

But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.

Quote:
Are you pleased with development progress up until now? Why or why not?
I wouldn't say "pleased" so much as... neutral on their progress. Their progress has been acceptable; nothing astonishing, but nothing disappointing either. Average and with a seemingly deliberate pace.

AKA: good enough.
o_merovingian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-05-2005, 02:52 PM   #14
o_wardies

i think is soon to say how will the gameplay, i dont know how will be damage system, i dont know how will be conc system, i dont know lot of things, yes i got some ideas but i dont played it.... YET

Yes, i have always the feel they are making something right now
o_wardies is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-07-2005, 10:04 PM   #15
o_kalashnikov

Thank you all for your responses.
o_kalashnikov is offline   Reply With Quote