Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 03:25 AM   #21
Marshmallow Noob
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy
Bring lots of popcorn....I'll bring the beer.
I'll bring the Jambalaya!

Old 09-11-2007, 03:28 AM   #22
Backstaber
Custom User Title
D&A Member

Class/Position: Scout Offence
Gametype: Capture The Flag
Affiliations: None
What are you guys talking about?? If there was really going to be a major debate here, it would have stated already. We're in the second page and there still hasn't been any debatable action yet. Unless I'm proven wrong.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:29 AM   #23
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Going to war is wrong

There I started

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 09-11-2007, 05:34 AM   #24
Innoc
Hitman 2 1 Actual

Gametype: FPS or RTS (just say NO to MMO)
Affiliations: Your Mom
Posts Rated Helpful 8 Times
Send a message via ICQ to Innoc Send a message via AIM to Innoc Send a message via MSN to Innoc Send a message via Yahoo to Innoc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backstaber
What are you guys talking about?? If there was really going to be a major debate here, it would have stated already. We're in the second page and there still hasn't been any debatable action yet. Unless I'm proven wrong.
If you change the number of posts per page then it doesn't make the delay look so bad...I still show this thread at one page.

You eventually run out of other people's money to spend.

Old 09-11-2007, 07:19 AM   #25
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
Going to war is wrong

There I started
The only thing war has ever accomplished is the ending of tyranny and oppression. Freedom, liberty, and self rule have never been given away, it must be fought for and bought, and that currency is courage and blood.

Scuzzy

Last edited by Scuzzy; 09-11-2007 at 07:25 AM. Reason: rewording 'stopped', didn't make sense after last minute revision

Old 09-11-2007, 07:20 AM   #26
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
lol I was kidding

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:

Old 09-11-2007, 07:24 AM   #27
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoKill----->
lol I was kidding
It's 3 am, sorry, I can't read kidding this early.

Old 09-11-2007, 09:38 AM   #28
halo

Quote:
The only thing war has ever accomplished is the ending of tyranny and oppression. Freedom, liberty, and self rule have never been given away, it must be fought for and bought, and that currency is courage and blood.
Except In India. And almost all of the former colonial empires. And Martin Luther King Jr would also be a good example of beating oppression through non-violent protest. Match-girl strikes and women's suffrage in England. And Jesus, that guy you worship. The one who stopped people rising against the Romans and told them to love their enemys.

Non-violence is a better way.

Old 09-11-2007, 10:12 AM   #29
Zydell
Ex-king
D&A Member

Affiliations: Knights of the Round
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Send a message via MSN to Zydell Send a message via Skype™ to Zydell
Yes, it is very questionable however, if it's also ok for another country to interfere by the means of “war” when it is quite uncertain if someone is asking (literally) for it.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:43 PM   #30
NapalmDeath

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
Except In India. And almost all of the former colonial empires. And Martin Luther King Jr would also be a good example of beating oppression through non-violent protest. Match-girl strikes and women's suffrage in England. And Jesus, that guy you worship. The one who stopped people rising against the Romans and told them to love their enemys.

Non-violence is a better way.

Tell that to Islamic extremists who killed my friend in Afghanistan.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #31
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Non-violence is the way to being a martyr. It doesn't always work. I'll admit in many cases it works just fine. But the enemy must not be willing to kill you in order for that to work. If what your enemy wants is your extermination, or your death, then you can non-kick his ass all you want. You're going to end up dead and he's going to end up happy.

Personaly, I'm not an advocate of non-violence. In my experience avoiding violence is very important, but there are going to be cases where you must fight. But we've already had this debate if I remember. It didn't go anyware. haha.

Old 09-11-2007, 02:59 PM   #32
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy
The only thing war has ever accomplished is the ending of tyranny and oppression.
War has never been fought for territorial reasons?

Quote:
Freedom, liberty, and self rule have never been given away, it must be fought for and bought, and that currency is courage and blood.
Non-violent resistance has never accomplished anything?

Old 09-11-2007, 03:11 PM   #33
halo

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife
Non-violence is the way to being a martyr. It doesn't always work. I'll admit in many cases it works just fine. But the enemy must not be willing to kill you in order for that to work. If what your enemy wants is your extermination, or your death, then you can non-kick his ass all you want. You're going to end up dead and he's going to end up happy.

Personaly, I'm not an advocate of non-violence. In my experience avoiding violence is very important, but there are going to be cases where you must fight. But we've already had this debate if I remember. It didn't go anyware. haha.
I'm of the opinion that non-violence is a higher path and a better resolution to any problem. I think it's the future we should be looking for. Having said that I think there probably are legitimate cases for violence remaining, particular in self-defence. Launching invasions on countries that you don't like is never going to work too well though. It's basically mass murder with no legal or moral basis.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:19 PM   #34
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
War has never been fought for territorial reasons?
No, war has been fought for those reasons obviously. My statement wasn't an exclusive one ekiM. In this instance, accomplishment is defined as "something done admirably or creditably", which is completely subjective based on my opinion of "something done admirably or creditably". I'm sure you, or someone like you, could list other accomplishment's that have occurred because of the result of war that you find admirable, but the ending of tyranny and oppression are the two I was focusing on for the particular time that the sentence you were quoting was written. Is that enough clarification for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekiM
Non-violent resistance has never accomplished anything?
I didn't mention non-violent resistance in my post above, but now that you've brought it up I would agree that there have been instances where non-violent resistance has accomplished goals.

Let's talk a bit about this. Can Alqada be stopped through non-violent resistance? If so, how?

Scuzzy

Old 09-11-2007, 03:20 PM   #35
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
I'm of the opinion that non-violence is a higher path and a better resolution to any problem. I think it's the future we should be looking for. Having said that I think there probably are legitimate cases for violence remaining, particular in self-defence. Launching invasions on countries that you don't like is never going to work too well though. It's basically mass murder with no legal or moral basis.

I can agree with all of that.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:27 PM   #36
uBeR
Not ****** Yet
D&A Member

Quote:
Let's talk a bit about this. Can Alqada be stopped through non-violent resistance? If so, how?

Scuzzy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7JPvbVsDdY = International policy that does not advocate violence toward the U.S.

One would think a simple task would be, well, simple. Maybe not for simpletons.

Old 09-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #37
ekiM
Arrogance is Bliss

Quote:
No, war has been fought for those reasons obviously. My statement wasn't an exclusive one ekiM. In this instance, accomplishment is defined as "something done admirably or creditably", which is completely subjective based on my opinion of "something done admirably or creditably". I'm sure you, or someone like you, could list other accomplishment's that have occurred because of the result of war that you find admirable, but the ending of tyranny and oppression are the two I was focusing on for the particular time that the sentence you were quoting was written. Is that enough clarification for you?
You said (emphasis mine) "The only thing war has ever accomplished is the ending of tyranny and opression". That is, in fact, an exclusive statement.

Old 09-11-2007, 04:49 PM   #38
Leandros
Cool Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapalmDeath
Tell that to Islamic extremists who killed my friend in Afghanistan.
What was your friend doing in Afghanistan?

Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #39
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Quote:
Launching invasions on countries that you don't like is never going to work too well though. It's basically mass murder with no legal or moral basis.
Rhetoric wins again! No country would ever participate in small wars wherein military force is combined with diplomatic pressure in the internal or external affairs of another state whose government is unstable, inadequate, or unsatisfactory for the preservation of life and of such interests as determined by the foreign policy of our Nation... that would be mass murder with no legal or moral basis!

Old 09-11-2007, 05:28 PM   #40
halo

Well it's difficult to think about that without context. You seem to be thinking of a specific case. It's probably best if we stick with Iran so before this goes any further, or potentially gets out of hand unnecasarily, do you support an invasion, by America, of Iran?

Closed Thread