Old 03-03-2010, 03:53 AM   #101
Desyphur
OHH! OHHH NOOO!
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
I guess for the second one I don't know what your point is for that. Unless its because I posted it before and forgot about it.
I was just reversing your achievement to not involve getting killed, but rather killing

Old 03-03-2010, 04:50 AM   #102
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desyphur View Post
I was just reversing your achievement to not involve getting killed, but rather killing
Ahh ya, I think that was like one of the ones I posted for the wiki.

I want to see a mix of ones that you do to people and a mix of ones that people do to you. Heck I want to see ones where the environment does stuff to you. lift, door or what ever crushes you or you drown or you run into the enemy laser doors, stuff like that.

If we're gonna have achievements/milestones/whatever you want to call them, lets have lots of them and lets make them all stuff that happens normally in the game so that people who don't want to grind but do want them can still get them eventually.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #103
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
I want to see a mix as well, but I want them to be quality achievements. I don't give a fuck if someone grinds achievements, because they get nothing out of it. So what if someone grinds his achievements in an hour. What then? Does he suddenly become twice as powerful because of completing the achievements directly? No. Don't care.

That's the problem right there. You want to prevent people from grinding. Your suggestion for preventing people from grinding through the achievements is filler. Let's fill the gaps of every good challenging achievement with shitty low-quality achievements that have you doing something stupid a thousand times like jumping in place.

I said I wanted a mixture of easy and difficult achievements. I thought it would be nice to have a tier system and then implement a 'bragging rights' tier that wouldn't necessarily teach you anything new, but challenge what you already know. It's not repetitive achievements that necessarily annoy me, it's that no one can come up with quality ones. They're always stupid like: Jump 1,000 times. Fire your gun 10,000 times. Duck 500 times.

I have no problem with repetitive achievements (milestones, really) if:
  1. They serve a purpose. Jumping a thousand times eventually leads to having jumped a thousand times. WOOOW? Requesting a Medic heal his team mates x times enforces good behavior. The Medic will get feedback, he will know healing team mates is a benefit and has him playing a role, so he will learn something. What does jumping a thousand times teach you? Nothing besides you tapped the space bar a thousand times.
  2. Don't make them too repetitive. Infect 10 enemies. Heal 20 team-mates. Airshot 5 Scouts. Repair the armor of 10 team mates. I don't want to do something a thousand or ten thousand times. By the time I get a mere fraction of the way through, I have already mastered it or understand the intention.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2010, 01:58 PM   #104
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
Agreed, all achievements should be something that condones game play and doesn't have some guy in a full server off by himself jumping 1000000 times.
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 12:58 PM   #105
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
And if you bothered to read anything I have said, you will see that I have said that yes people will grind, no matter if they are short term ones or long term ones. This happens with TF2 and many other games that have achievements. (with and without prizes like more powerful guns)

If the FF team is going to have achievements then why not have both short term and long term achievements.
WELL, if you had read what I said at the beginning of the thread, you'd notice that I'm completely against achivements. Just because the devs are going to adopt Steamworks (and subsequently Orange Box) in the future, doesn't mean they HAVE to use achievements.

The simple, and most glaring fact is--achievements, grindable or not, almost always work at the detriment to other players. This game already has a fragile userbase, I don't think adding achievements will help that, and in fact, I think it will do the opposite.

I think the only achievements that would be reasonable were ones that taught newbies the mechanics of the game. Like, 'go max speed bunnyhop with every class for more than 10 seconds', something that gives motivation to learn all the movement skills. Look at Portal's achievements--most of them challenge the player to learn more advanced ways of completing the levels, and after completing all the achievements, you will have learned a lot about the game. I also know that squeek has talked about the FF 'training level', a single player type deal, maybe if that ever gets formally and officially implemented, the achievements could be tied to the training level?

On the other hand, something that's superficial and superfluous will be detrimental to the game--anything that forces people to do something they normally wouldn't do in the name of achieving some pointless goal, would be a bad idea.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:36 PM   #106
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

And I feel the say way, I'm not a fan of achievements, but as I have said, if the Devs are going to put them in, then as long as you get them for stuff that you would normally do in game then there is no problem. Don't need to be points, can just be a little picture.

You would normally stab people in the game. Being able to do that 3 times to 3 different people all with in a few seconds of each other is hard and should be rewarded. Doing that 100 times should be rewarded. Doing it 1,000 times should be rewarded. Doing it 10,000 times should be rewarded.

You're going to jump or double jump in the game, they don't really need to be rewarded with anything. Doing that 10,000 times/100,000 times/1,000,000 times. Why not give them a little reward saying that they have done it that many times.

You're going to kill a fast moving scout. Why not give people a little reward for killing as fast moving scout with a hard to kill with weapon like a tranq dart or nail gun or rocket or even sniper rifle. Why not give them a little reward for killing a scout moving over a certain speed 100 times? And at 1,000 times? And at 10,000 times?

Is it repetitive? yes, but unless the devs are going to produce thousands of little tiny super simple to get achievements and keep making them then they are going to have to have ones that also are repetitive and can only be done over a long time.

People are going to grind if there are achievements, no matter if they are for points or even just a picture, its a fact that pretty much everyone here agrees with no matter how long they are. But at least give the people some long term goals along with short term goals.

Why bother putting in achievements if everyone and their dog is going to have them all within hours of just regular playing. It seems like a waste of time to put them in.

I have no problems with learning achievements. I have no problem with ones where you have to go full speed for x seconds to get an achievement. Once you get that then what? Well why not up it a level. In stead of 10 seconds, go 20 seconds and maybe add a double jump in there somewhere while keeping up the speed. Then when you've done that? Why not up it another level. Go 25 seconds with at least 2 double jumps and 1 kill. Once you are done that then what? Well why not have a long term goal of Go 25 seconds at full speed with at least 2 double jumps and 1 kill 100 times. Its not easy to do that 100 times, but people will do it. Now lets also give them a little picture for doing it 1,000 times, and another for doing it 10,000 times. There is no harm in having very long term goals that are repetitive.

For all the ones I suggested there is no reason why they couldn't have an achievement for one of the first times you do it. Then the next goal is to do it a bunch of times. I don't see any harm in giving people a little reward (of a picture) for doing some combo killing or having some combo stuff done to them to kill them.

Repeating the same achievements over and over are also teaching people how to get better. After all you don't learn something in school by only doing it once do you? No you do it over and over again.

And your argument that most of the achievements are at the detriment to other players is pointless because you are playing a game where the goal is to not just cap a flag, but also kill other players to stop them from capping your flag and to help your team get flags to the cap point.

You're already a detriment to other players because you have to kill them in game to either defend the flag or get the flag. Why not get a little picture as a reward for killing people in interesting combos which are going to be done in game anyway. You're already getting awarded points for the kills, why not get a little picture for an interesting combo?

I hope the devs give people the option to turn on and off the achievements so that if you don't care for achievements you don't have to get them but can turn them on (or off) at anytime so that you can start collecting them if you change your mind.

I really don't see why people are arguing against long term achievements/milestones/whatever you want to call them. If having achievements in the game is going to help or hurt the game then having long term ones are not going to help or hurt it any more.

Yes they are repetitive but only in the sense that you have to do the same combo of things to do them. Its not like its as simple as just jump a million times or crouch down a million times.

Yes you have to kill other players to do some/many of them, but well you're in a game where you have to kill others anyway so big deal.

Yes some of them have to be done to you for you to receive them, but they are going to be done to you anyway so big deal.

Yes some people will grind to get them all but short term or long term, for points, weapons or just a picture people are going to grind to get them all just to brag big deal.

Yes some people will leave if achievements are brought in, but while it won't stop them, maybe knowing that they can turn them off so they don't have to collect them will keep a few and knowing that collecting them will give you no extra points or or extra weapons to give an advantage will help keep more.

Old 03-05-2010, 05:48 PM   #107
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
If the time ever comes, we'll only make achievements that add value to the game. I think plenty of good ideas have been put forth.

Instead of long-term achievements, we could have a personal stats page--distance flown, top speed, best round, number of kills with X weapon. You can't really grind those because there's no goal to grind to.
Crazycarl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 05:53 PM   #108
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Those are better milestones than making achievements into milestones. Keep 'em separated.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #109
Hawk Eye
Who the fuck is this guy?
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O Preferred
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: [AE] Asseaters
Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Sure there is. Just store the value as a 32 bit int- when the player reaches 4,294,967,296 kills with the super shotgun, they wn the game. Kind of like Tetris.
Hawk Eye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #110
Elmo
Gets tickled by FF
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med Solly HW
Gametype: Any/CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 41 Times
^^ lol
Done: ff_warpath
Forever Doing: ff_medieval (beta#99999999)
Elmo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2010, 07:55 PM   #111
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

No, it carries over to zero.

Old 03-05-2010, 10:04 PM   #112
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
If the time ever comes, we'll only make achievements that add value to the game. I think plenty of good ideas have been put forth.

Instead of long-term achievements, we could have a personal stats page--distance flown, top speed, best round, number of kills with X weapon. You can't really grind those because there's no goal to grind to.
I wouldn't mind seeing a page like that. Maybe the devs could keep adding suggestions by users for combos like what has been suggested here so that we could keep track of combos that interest us.

As i have said there are many combos that I have done that I would like to know how many times I have done them. How many times have I killed more then 2 or more people while carrying the flag and still capped. How many times have I roasted people while I was in the air, or they were in the air. Top 10 people I have killed the most, top 10 that have killed me the most.

Something else I'm wondering if its possible if users could set their own custom achievements. Basically have the devs set up a little page where people could select specific things like jump, double jump, death, kill, weapon. stuff like that.

Then they could select kill then select a number (say between 1 and 100) then select a class (say scout) select within then select another number (between 1 and 100) then select seconds or minutes

I know there would still be some limits but it would still be interesting if we could do that along with having official ones that everyone gets tracked.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:57 PM   #113
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Get a piece of paper and make a space for every stat you're interested in. Then keep a tally

I think this is a good feature. Put it in the project tracker so it doesn't get lost and forgotten. http://forums.fortress-forever.com/p...hp?projectid=1

Old 03-06-2010, 07:17 PM   #114
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

I'm sorry but I don't have a piece of paper large enough to keep track of all the ways I hunted you.

I put up my idea of the custom user achievements.

Old 03-06-2010, 08:44 PM   #115
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

lol lets compare numbers: your long-distance tranq kills with my point-blank headshots.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:18 PM   #116
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
lol lets compare numbers: your long-distance tranq kills with my point-blank headshots.
Going by the game I had the other night, you would loose. lol And who needs to do a long distance tranq kill when I can get up close and carve "Gwar was here" in peoples back. BTW make sure you get that taken care of.

Old 03-08-2010, 12:12 PM   #117
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
Achievement: Kill someone with a crowbar while both of you are in the air.
I didn't steal that from QuakeLive...

Old 03-08-2010, 02:08 PM   #118
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
On that subject,quake live has loads of interesting and fun to do achievements. FF should have something like those, you know "mad skillz" achievs.
"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN
moosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2010, 02:58 PM   #119
R00Kie
Kawaii! ルーキー
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Random
Affiliations: BiG, Kawaii!, MustacheBrigade, GoodFellas
Posts Rated Helpful 82 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gibz View Post
Achievement: Kill someone with a crowbar while both of you are in the air.
I didn't steal that from QuakeLive...

Sweeeet, what do i get? =D
R00Kie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-09-2010, 12:27 PM   #120
gibz
Title title title title

Class/Position: Medic O, Soldier D
Gametype: CTF, Water Battle
Affiliations: :e0: and n-t
You now get a sword/shield combo, and a hat.
http://defaultprime.com/wp-content/u...oman121509.jpg
Feel free to run around like an idiot now!

Tags
achievements, learning, orange box, rewards, teaching