Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-21-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
o_bumgravy

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Hardware Question

Ok in the process of designing a new rig. Im fairly up to date on my hardware but when it comes to PSU's im a bit confused.

Basically i wanna know if this PSU is gonna give me enough juice to power my system. It claims to be SLi ready and does indeed have 2x PCIE connectors and 4 12v rails. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-019-OC

But from doing a bit of digging this may not be enough to run 2 SLi 8800GTX in the future as they each require 2xPCIE connectors. Would i be ok to use 2 molex connectors with an adapter on? Or do i really need to find a Quad SLI PSU with 4x PCIE connections?

Coupling this with a Quad Core Kentsfield and 2x WD Raptors i may be drawing some serious wattage >.<

Is this psu gonna be ok for what i wantto run stable and possibly OC? Or do i need to fork out another £100 or so for a 850 or 1000 Watt PSU?

Any Suggestions.

PS. Im building this rig so i can keep playing up to date games and im fed up of waiting 2 hours for my map to compile!!!
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2007, 04:43 AM   #2
o_psycnet

Well I have that exact PSU and I tell you, it is solid, and at a good price point.

On the other hand, SLI 8800 would probably be better suiter by a quad-sli type thing with 4 PCI-E connectors, though a legacy to PCI-E cabling setup should handle it, if you have a low consumption CPU and don't have a million perhipherals/CD/HDs hooked into it

PS wait for the next Quad-core series. The current ones are actually 2xDual Core intergrated into one chip. The next ones will just be 1xQuad-Core (pure quad)
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM   #3
o_bumgravy

Been browsing overclockers and found this http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=CA-029-EN
Surely should be able to power half my house with this! Let alone a PC. Bit pricey but it would last and be able to handle anything i could throw at it in the next 3 years or so... Any suggestions for any other PSU's similar power/features but not so pricey?

Also are the new Quad Cores gonna be LG775 Socket or whatever the current core2 duos are?

Old 02-23-2007, 04:26 AM   #4
o_psycnet

Well pretty much all the 1000watt PSU's run around that price range (though I think if you look, you could find it cheaper than ~200 pounds, more in the 170-180 range).

And yeah, the Kentsfield Quads and the future Quads are all supposed to be 775 , though only quad-core compatable mobos will run it (not just any 775 mobo).

As well, alot of earlier dual/quad core compatable 775 mobos dont do true SLI, so make sure you pick one that does not just have 2 PCI-e slots, but actually for sure supports SLI
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-23-2007, 02:40 PM   #5
o_bumgravy

Gone for an Asus board as it should be pretty future proof. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...odid=MB-209-AS

Also found the galaxy PSU for 180 inc VAT at novatech.co.uk