Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 02-14-2007, 12:32 AM   #21
o_frenchtoast

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
Batteries charged yet?
Yeah. Pictures bite.

It looks a lot better in real life than these bad pictures.

It's really nice and thin. The body is (I'm Canadian, cut me some slack) around 1/2 inch at it's thickest point. Neck is so thin, your hand just grasps this neck. Great for playing Jimi Hendrix songs with all the thumb pinches.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #22
o_duffmanhb

Sh4x yeah i got cubase as well. Its sooo lame though, i always get an error upon opening it and it closes. Owell, im pretty good with my garage band set up on my mac pro. We recorded out EP on cubase in the studio and loved it. I guess im just destined not to use it.

Yeah it may be hot. O well, its already missing, may as well go into good hands!

The amp is amazing! I just played it! It has the cleanest sound ive ever EVER heard from a fender. I was shocked! The sound is clean as hell and gives the perfect bluesish sound im looking for. The distortion can suck my enemys dick for all i care though. Distortion is weak, even though i dont use it often, i would like some better distortion. I can always get a D-peddle though.

French toast. Can i have sex with you guitar? Honestly, just for like a few minutes, i swear the HPV wont spread. Its supppper thin though! WTF? What kind of sound do you get out of that? I would be afraid of dropping it!
o_duffmanhb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 01:51 AM   #23
o_yomamashouse

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchToast
Not even! My brother comes home on the weekends, and I've got 4 controllers. Just get your ass over here.
Sweet, it's on. What day?
o_yomamashouse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 02:02 AM   #24
o_frenchtoast

@Duff: Sorry, but my guitar has chosen one man, and that's me.

YMH, if it happens this weekend it'll probably be Sunday. I'm out friday playing with a friends band 'cause they need a second guitar, and saturday I'm babysitting. We'll talk it out over PMs. But yeah, once this game comes, we need to pwn it up.
o_frenchtoast is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 02:06 AM   #25
o_psycnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyuiop
You wouldn't need to turn it up to 7, and even then I doubt the buzz would be anything major. Tube amps are extremely loud, a 40 watt tube amp can easily be as loud as a 100-150 watt solid state amp, and as you turn them up, they sound even better.
Clarity at high volume or not, a band with a mic'd drum kit, an outbound (to monitor) bass stack (say, 4x10 @ 400 watts 4 ohm), a guitar stack (4x12 @ 150 watts 8 ohm), and a full monitor system would seriously overtake a 40watt amp, and before you say 'mic it', why the hell buy a tube amp if yer just gonna mic it?
o_psycnet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 02:19 AM   #26
o_duffmanhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT
Clarity at high volume or not, a band with a mic'd drum kit, an outbound (to monitor) bass stack (say, 4x10 @ 400 watts 4 ohm), a guitar stack (4x12 @ 150 watts 8 ohm), and a full monitor system would seriously overtake a 40watt amp, and before you say 'mic it', why the hell buy a tube amp if yer just gonna mic it?
Yes but your underating bang-for-buck.

You throw a 40 watt tube 7a/12 @ 8 ohm set as the highs with an independant low your golden.

You really underestimate the tubes. The sound is far more clear with a softer and less processed sound. Its kind of like CD vs Vinyl. Vinyl has that real clear smooth flow to it, while CDs have a roupher edge.

Trust me, music is my prime source of income. And saying that in SoCal is hard with the cost of Living

But i know what your saying, its just, who wants to take that on? Your looking at a pretty penny in expenses. It really comes down to what sound do you want? If you want a really clean blues sound, go tube.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:22 AM   #27
o_psycnet

I'm not harshing tubes at all (My bass stack is a hybrid tube preamp/solidstate, and my TSL is obviously a tube), but I just don't take the cheap road when it comes to music equipment. People expect you to sound better when playing live than on any recorded media, but if your amps are too quiet to keep up then why buy them? If you want a practice amp, then buy a cheapo and put headphones in it, or better yet, get a multi-effects box with pre-amp emulation and play through that.

If it's all about money, then it ain't about the music

Old 02-14-2007, 02:32 AM   #28
o_duffmanhb

Still if you want an effects box, your looking at 300 minimum. Which sux. I bought one for my guitar, and its wayyy worth it, but i still think it could be cheaper. As far as bass goes i agree.

Still, its not all about money, but musicains arent loaded at the start )hell, even at thge end). The industry is flooded, so may as well go with a cheaper product that gives the same sound at the cost of a little middle sound and master volume. Its not like most people at an amerature stage are playing forums. All you really need are a nice amp and maybe 1 or 2 preamps.

Old 02-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #29
o_psycnet

Even at a venue for 200-500 people (medium to large bar) you need something larger. Not even necessarily a stack or half-stack (as some combos are really really nice, see: SWR bass combos), but definately something a little more beefy than a 40 watt tube

Old 02-14-2007, 03:00 AM   #30
o_bumgravy

This argument is why I went for Marshall MG100DFX combo, I've heard people say nasty things about it but I think it sounds great from my Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan pickups, and its fucking loud.
o_bumgravy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 03:46 AM   #31
o_duffmanhb

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
This argument is why I went for Marshall MG100DFX combo, I've heard people say nasty things about it but I think it sounds great from my Epiphone Les Paul with Seymour Duncan pickups, and its fucking loud.
ewwwww.... i had a marshal for my Ibinez bass. I hate marshel! THey are too focused on the hard metal and grundge sound. They cant seem to release an amp with a clean and smooth guitar OR bass sound. Granted i used to use a marshal for my strat on a 180w... it was just for the grundgey sound. Thank god i went solo and moved my career to a new age, high contrast sound. I now like the pure output and i synth that to what i like (not the other way around). Meh, ive only sold 5,000 so who am i to say?

Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 AM   #32
o_psycnet

If album sales meant anything, then there would be alot more people with 7-string Ibo'z

...though, you do see alot of Grunge throwaways still playing a *laff* $600 Mexican Jag-Stang

Old 02-14-2007, 08:40 AM   #33
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
psycnet: the fender blues juniors are 15W i believe.

there's nothing wrong in micing up a valve amp! all the PA has to do is recreate whatever the mics pick up. the EQing will change stuff anyway. i dont know how you guys gig without a PA?! its essential for separating the instruments and sorting the levels out.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:14 AM   #34
o_qwertyuiop

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumGravy
The Hot Rod Deluxe is far louder than that.
o_qwertyuiop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2007, 05:12 PM   #35
o_psycnet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mervaka
psycnet: the fender blues juniors are 15W i believe.

there's nothing wrong in micing up a valve amp! all the PA has to do is recreate whatever the mics pick up. the EQing will change stuff anyway. i dont know how you guys gig without a PA?! its essential for separating the instruments and sorting the levels out.
You mic up the drums and vocals, and -maybe- the bass, but I find guitars should always be seperated and set by themselves. We have a buddy who we 'hire' (ie buy beer for) who is a sound tech and he makes teh bar guy do our levels the way we like em!

Old 02-15-2007, 12:53 AM   #36
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

when i'm doing things, bass is always done with DI, but i always use a good passive DI box. i honestly dont see the point in properly micing up what's probably going to be coming out a couple of bass bins. in the studio however, i use all sorts of mics. my favourite mics for bass are the EV RE20 and the AKG D112. a good mix between those is pure sex.

as for lead guitars, its the 57. always. lol

saying all this, at my last gig where i physically played instead of engineer, the venue was so small (and we were an instrumental 3 piece so didnt need a vocal mic) we just used the amps. my guys used their MG100 amps and i borrowed the other band's bass combo. drums were still over the PA, because they were on a CD

Last edited by mervaka; 02-15-2007 at 01:00 AM.
mervaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2007, 04:35 AM   #37
o_psycnet

Well in a studio, when the mics are recording rather than relaying, then yes, mic amps all you want (and DI bass).

Live though, I'd rather rely strictly on my amps for sound rather than patch through a PA in a large venue. It's just more authentic.

As well, at the last show I played, I borrowed a second bass amp from the act before us and patched through stereo with my FX box (GT-6B) and dude, you have never experienced awesome bass delay until you've heard it live and in stereo

Old 02-15-2007, 09:15 AM   #38
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

was it just a fixed delay or a chorus. i have one motherfucking awesome stereo bass chrous pedal!

i've had a thought though. there is a way that both ends could be met. each instrument/amp goes into the desk from the FX send, and gets independently returned on the channel's DO? that way the desk could separate and layer the instruments, and still come out the right place. genius!

a live PA feed could also be taken in some cases.