Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 10-09-2007, 09:20 PM   #21
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Looks like some nice fixes. Am I blind or is the MOTD (displays 2 lines only) not scrolling still not fixed? I though somebody said that was fixed already?
SME is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 10:34 PM   #22
Dospac
Retired FF Staff

Send a message via ICQ to Dospac Send a message via AIM to Dospac Send a message via MSN to Dospac Send a message via Yahoo to Dospac
Quote:
Originally Posted by tu!
what about the sg locking in midair, is that gonna be tweaked at all?
At some point in the beta, changes to this were made that flew under some of our radars. Time allowing we'll be going back over the sg stuff and make some minor balance tweaks at some point. Not a high priority right now though... otoh having an effective counter to flying light offense isn't a bad thing really. =)
Dospac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #23
richard nixon

oh yes this is awesome news!

I really love that AC warm up time, gives me a split second or so to avoid an AC. There is an accompanying sound to go with it? Like a high pitch whine so I know what's coming? If not that's cool just wondering. But he doesn't have to stand still while firing does he? Like in Q3F/ETF, that's horrible.

I am kinda dissapointed that you didn't change the range of the Medic Healing. It's so difficult to help heal a teammate, especially if he's moving. With infection it's entirely fine because infection rapes and it should be sorta difficult to infect someone.

Like the other guy said, did you fix any of the animations? That and a few other bugs should have been fixed but you guys already have a large WIP list of a lot of bug fixes so I can't complain. Keep up the good work!
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-09-2007, 11:11 PM   #24
mervaka
A Very Sound Guy!
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 15 Times
we're looking at the medic dont worry. it's just gonna have to wait while we discuss a reasonable change instead of just throwing some knee jerk reaction out. whatever we do to the medic will probably end up to be pretty significant, as it's such a powerful class at the moment, and the only direction we can really go with it is to knock it down a level to give other classes a look in on the offy role.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:05 AM   #25
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mervaka
we're looking at the medic dont worry. it's just gonna have to wait while we discuss a reasonable change instead of just throwing some knee jerk reaction out. whatever we do to the medic will probably end up to be pretty significant, as it's such a powerful class at the moment, and the only direction we can really go with it is to knock it down a level to give other classes a look in on the offy role.
I don't think it needs a significant nerf, at all. It's always seemed OK to me. I can't say that other classes don't need to be buffed but I don't see any reason to nerf the medic, imo.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:02 AM   #26
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
The discussions are along the lines of making him more like a medic. The way he's played now he's basically a tougher scout. He doesn't live up to his medic title at all.
DrEvil is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 01:13 AM   #27
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
What about training mode?
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 01:23 AM   #28
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil
The discussions are along the lines of making him more like a medic. The way he's played now he's basically a tougher scout. He doesn't live up to his medic title at all.
That seems rather subjective though. What is "more like a medic?" Who decides how a medic is supposed to be played? Some might say that the medic should be on D, healing his team and keeping them alive longer. Others may say that he belongs on O, healing the soldier who just rocket jumped up to the sniper balc on 2fort and running the flag. I don't think it should be so abitrarily decided like that. I think it's up to each player to find his own right way to play each class.

Personally, as a medic, I use the medkit as my primary weapon, I start boosting heath in respawn and on my way to the flag. I like to infect and otherwise kill the enemy and grab the flag heal my team on my way to conc up the elevator shaft and scoot back to my base to heal more of my team and cap ASAP so the next guy can grab the flag and we can do it again. Isn't that what a medic, in fortress style games, is supposed to be like? If so, then no nerf needed, imo. If not, then what is, and why shouldn't I be able to play medic the way I want?

Old 10-10-2007, 01:32 AM   #29
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Yea but healing as currently implemented sucks. At a minimum the medkit range will probably be extended to some degree. At most maybe some additional healing/support like abilities, though at this point its just a pool of ideas. We aren't talking about a huge change of the classes role, just something to reinforce the role he already has, same reason why we're talking about buffing the scout with more scout like abilities. It's all discussion at this point, whether it happens or not and how it ultimately plays out is open for prototyping and internal testing before we even think about releasing it. As it stands now the majority of how offense is played is that medics are essentially a grenade equipped heavy scout. I don't want to get too deep into what we're talking about. It's all just discussion at this point. Suffice to say we'd like to evolve the game a bit over time. Not radically, just solidifying the classes in their roles in TF that we feel have lost some of their draw and usefulness compared to others.

Old 10-10-2007, 01:38 AM   #30
SME
Damn lazy bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrEvil
Yea but healing as currently implemented sucks. At a minimum the medkit range will probably be extended to some degree. At most maybe some additional healing/support like abilities, though at this point its just a pool of ideas. We aren't talking about a huge change of the classes role, just something to reinforce the role he already has, same reason why we're talking about buffing the scout with more scout like abilities. It's all discussion at this point, whether it happens or not and how it ultimately plays out is open for prototyping and internal testing before we even think about releasing it. As it stands now the majority of how offense is played is that medics are essentially a grenade equipped heavy scout. I don't want to get too deep into what we're talking about. It's all just discussion at this point. Suffice to say we'd like to evolve the game a bit over time. Not radically, just solidifying the classes in their roles in TF that we feel have lost some of their draw and usefulness compared to others.
Interesting. When maverka said significant, I guess I just went the wrong way, with a nerf of some kind instead of a buff of it's support abilities. To quote old SNL: "Nevermind..."

Old 10-10-2007, 01:50 AM   #31
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

The pool of ideas contain a wide range of stuff, some quite significant, but I don't think there is any direction yet on which way the team is leaning, so I think it's a bit premature to imply either way.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:31 AM   #32
A1win
Nutcracker

Send a message via MSN to A1win
Are the color chat messages put in to get more kids interested in the mod or what's the point of them? Colors in text are only good when used for special system messages or announcements etc, but never in normal chat... I can already see people spamming with the colors, and even if kept outside the "spamming threshold", it will still look a thousand times more annoying.

Seriously... what's the reason for adding them?

Or hopefully it was just some inside joke that I didn't get?
A1win is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:38 AM   #33
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

Used smartly they can bring emphasis and focus to chat messages, even to the point of not having to read what it actually says, and recognizing the messages in your periphial vision such as clan comm, highlighting locations, teams, class words in messages. Probably less of an issue these days given most teams probably use voice. It was something simple and fun, disable them if you want to.

Old 10-10-2007, 03:41 AM   #34
shadow
Retired FF Staff

Just please don't destroy the role the Medic currently possesses, it is one of the most balanced classes (along with soldier and demoman I'd say). Additional healing abilities would be a welcome addition, but I feel that it would be damaging to the overall flow of gameplay if his current abilites were altered.
shadow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:44 AM   #35
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

You know if you add in messagemode those text colors could be a lot more fun.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 03:52 AM   #36
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

What do you mean add in message mode?

Old 10-10-2007, 03:57 AM   #37
SoBe Green
SoBe Yourself

On the HL engine you could bind a key like eh

bind ins "messagemode amx_slay"

When you hit Insert you would get

amx_slay

And you could type whatever to complete the command. With messagemode in FF you could pre bind your say and teamsay to have colors.

bind y "messagemode say ^4"

This would turn my normal say key to make my text green all the time.

Not only that but messagemode is great for making scripts for the not so command savy admins. It has a lot of uses.
SoBe Green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-10-2007, 04:04 AM   #38
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
just so long as there is a cl_fruitytext or hud_fruitytext variable i can disable once the rainbow wont leave.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:05 AM   #39
DrEvil
Fortress Forever Staff

cl_chat_color 0

Old 10-10-2007, 04:18 AM   #40
gizmofo
The Bestest

Send a message via AIM to gizmofo
Bleh, you guys are already complaining. Much appreciated Dr.
gizmofo is offline   Reply With Quote