Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 12-17-2012, 08:58 PM   #1
WubbaDucky

Class/Position: Going for pr0 Engi
Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
So i am taking a shot with fortressforever.eu

So as promised, I started with a euro site
nothing fancy, i cannot develop or design stuff. Just SEO & Marketing

But i am trying to get some info from the community, what i MUST add on the site.

I am working on content but tips are welcome.

I try to figure out my topnav menu and some static pages like:

http://www.fortressforever.eu/inform...ose-your-class
http://www.fortressforever.eu/inform...rtress-forever

I experienced last week what i think it's an issue:
Knowing that the game is totally free and how to install / download all features first.
I had trouble and had to Google the stuff first. So i know that will be essential.

Ive seen from an SEO point of view, many people are googling free online FPS games, etc etc so i will work that out and SEO the shit out of it.

Other objective is to drive traffic to this forum, since i think it's useless to start another one atm.

What do you guys think?
WubbaDucky is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-18-2012, 01:17 PM   #2
WubbaDucky

Old 12-18-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: D Eng
Gametype: CTF 9v9
Affiliations: .gr , smr
Posts Rated Helpful 46 Times
Technically, this would confuse users, and hurt this site; best option would to have .eu redirect here.
ricecakes: I demand SGs get a buff
squeek.: buy it a gym membership

'I have an eye for design' - Kube 2014
Ricey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
WubbaDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricey View Post
Technically, this would confuse users, and hurt this site; best option would to have .eu redirect here.
Hello,

technically, i am seeing this from an SEO point of view and redirecting a new domain has no influence or impact.

1. The site i am creating is for specific target group Europe. Also mention that i am adding the content in Dutch, French, German, etc... in a further stage. And from an SEO point of view I set the target group in GWMT from Google.
2. My employeers and myself wil optimize the site for SEO
3. Besides the overall visibility on the web, i want to refer them to this site when it comes to community / help & forum.
4. The main goal is to get them to download the game and start playing, knowing that there is still an Euro community playing the game
5. When i boost up fortressforever.eu it should have an impact on this site as well when it comes to signups / new forum members

When I have enough data gathered from my own linkbuilding campaign, i can easily integrate that strategy to push more US traffic to this website.
It's about impressions in Google & marketshare on different countries without exclusion.

Old 12-18-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by WubbaDucky View Post
Hello,

technically, i am seeing this from an SEO point of view and redirecting a new domain has no influence or impact.

1. The site i am creating is for specific target group Europe. Also mention that i am adding the content in Dutch, French, German, etc... in a further stage. And from an SEO point of view I set the target group in GWMT from Google.
2. My employeers and myself wil optimize the site for SEO
3. Besides the overall visibility on the web, i want to refer them to this site when it comes to community / help & forum.
4. The main goal is to get them to download the game and start playing, knowing that there is still an Euro community playing the game
5. When i boost up fortressforever.eu it should have an impact on this site as well when it comes to signups / new forum members

When I have enough data gathered from my own linkbuilding campaign, i can easily integrate that strategy to push more US traffic to this website.
It's about impressions in Google & marketshare on different countries without exclusion.

Don't get me wrong, I love the fact you want to help FF, but as a Front-end Developer / UI Designer I look at it differently.

I did have something written, but I'd figured it'd be best to discuss this over Skype, or which ever IM you use; Just send me a PM which one ya use, unless it's ICQ, then shank ya self

Old 12-18-2012, 05:19 PM   #6
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Hurt the site? How so? There's barely a site as is and I think a boost in any FF-themed site would be a boost to FF.

I say DO IT! Don't listen to ricejew. He's just butt hurt cuz his new FF site isn't near completion when it looks like you have one almost done in much less time!
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 05:34 PM   #7
Drakonal
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Spy/Engy
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Kube beggin for a forum ban rice :P
Drakonal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #8
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Hurt the site? How so? There's barely a site as is and I think a boost in any FF-themed site would be a boost to FF.

I say DO IT! Don't listen to ricejew. He's just butt hurt cuz his new FF site isn't near completion when it looks like you have one almost done in much less time!
The community of FF is small enough,splitting up the site to eu can confuse users. We've seen this happen with QuakeNet and GamesSurge (almost wrote Gamesnet) I have other stuff no one, not even squeek has seen finished :P

I'm also not just using basic stuff, I'll be writing everything fresh, besides code igniter and jquery(which I'm only using because of greensock);

Not to diss on his design, but I could of slapped something like that together in a few minutes; I'd rather spend the time to make the site on a higher standard.

Hell, I could of used a Twitter Bootstrap and been done with it, but I refuse!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakonal View Post
Kube beggin for a forum ban rice :P
LubeKube is an idiot, so I forgive him.

Old 12-18-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 293 Times
Rice is a literal idiot and sour puss, don't listen to him. He's incredibly jealous someone's actually getting something done with a website.

I don't see how it could hurt AT ALL, especially if your site links to these forums and has links to the download page. That leads me to believe it could only make the community grow and not really separate it.

Also I like the design of your site, it is fairly simple and very pleasant to look at. Again I think rice is jealous. No offense to rices design, which is admittedly sexy. It's just only taken next to for ever.

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-18-2012 at 08:35 PM.
FDA_Approved is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 09:47 PM   #10
squeek.
Stuff Do-er
Lua Team
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Don't understand Ricey's point. Not sure "splitting the community" is even a remote possibility for an information-only site. If he was starting forums (or any type of community-based thing) with the same purpose as these, then I could see it (sort of, they'd still be unofficial and therefore automatically have a separate purpose), but that's not even the case.

Cool stuff WubbaDucky, thanks for helping out.

Also, Ricey, the Gamesurge/Quakenet split didn't really split the community at all (or at least not in a detrimental way), the merge only took place after the EU scene on Quakenet died and the Gamesurge people rebelled against the Gamesurge channel for whatever reason (still not entirely sure what happened there).

The regional split made complete sense while there were still two distinct regions playing pickups (Quakenet was using euro servers, and Gamesurge was using US; if you were to play in the other region, you'd know you have to play with high ping). If the channels were merged from the start, it'd be somewhat chaotic, as people would be fighting over which server should be used, and separate EU/NA pickups would tend to form anyway.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Last edited by squeek.; 12-18-2012 at 10:02 PM.
squeek. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:29 PM   #11
Raynian
D&A Member

Class/Position: SPAWN CAMPING OH NO
Gametype: Ragequitting
Affiliations: [PMS]. [Shiney]
Posts Rated Helpful 26 Times
If only ricey cared this much about finishing vidars.
7:00 PM - zE: eh tbh i like some stuff in us but a lot of stuff in us messes with my nerves
7:00 PM - zE: like watching fox news
7:00 PM - zE: its like wtf
Raynian is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 10:45 PM   #12
WubbaDucky

Hello all,

i don't want to blow up bridges, as a newcomer.
Thx alot anyway for the support, I indeed don't want to split anything and the site is more for information than making another unofficial FF full website.

in the end, I calculated the amount of pages I will create ( about a 100 per language) wich should be decent enough to get more exposure again and drive them to IRC, Steam page and this forum. I am adding pages and content inbetween work and free time, so it will grow slowly.

As I mentioned, i am no designer nor developer, so now I base myself on purely the amount of traffic i can regenerate and rebrand a Free FPS Game. When I feel there is enough traffic (i can make official ranking and traffic reports with SEO tools and Google Analytics) I can ask a designer to redo the layout if needed.

All FF needs atm is rebranding, a couple new Euro players, an extra server i am willing to rent for Europe and it make it go viral again)

In my SEM experience, I made 100s of ebusinessplans, social media strategies and branding campaigns for every kind of service, product or entity. It means no effort for me

Old 12-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #13
VinnytheBoss
Boss 4 all da rite reasons

Class/Position: O scout/med D sol/demo
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: Founder of the Goodfellas.
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
LOL ricey what a hater

Edit: This is coming from a kid who cant even idle in our #ff.pickup channel.

Last edited by VinnytheBoss; 12-18-2012 at 10:49 PM.
VinnytheBoss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by WubbaDucky View Post
Hello all,

i don't want to blow up bridges, as a newcomer.
Thx alot anyway for the support, I indeed don't want to split anything and the site is more for information than making another unofficial FF full website.

in the end, I calculated the amount of pages I will create ( about a 100 per language) wich should be decent enough to get more exposure again and drive them to IRC, Steam page and this forum. I am adding pages and content inbetween work and free time, so it will grow slowly.

As I mentioned, i am no designer nor developer, so now I base myself on purely the amount of traffic i can regenerate and rebrand a Free FPS Game. When I feel there is enough traffic (i can make official ranking and traffic reports with SEO tools and Google Analytics) I can ask a designer to redo the layout if needed.

All FF needs atm is rebranding, a couple new Euro players, an extra server i am willing to rent for Europe and it make it go viral again)

In my SEM experience, I made 100s of ebusinessplans, social media strategies and branding campaigns for every kind of service, product or entity. It means no effort for me
Hey dude, you're doing great. We really appreciate it.

You had a question about something in your first post? I didn't really understand the question I guess.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:27 PM   #15
Dexter
internet user
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
why the tfc logo tho
9:17 PM - DEXTER: can you teach me how to play o
9:17 PM - squeek.: you jump a lot
9:18 PM - squeek.: and do sweet moves

8:55 PM - FDA: fart in you fridge and blame it on wild animals
Dexter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-18-2012, 11:32 PM   #16
WubbaDucky

yeah indeed, question was maybe not so clear:
i wrote

"I am working on content but tips are welcome."

So any kind of tips like adding youtube vids for sharing are welcome

Last edited by WubbaDucky; 12-18-2012 at 11:32 PM.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:34 PM   #17
WubbaDucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
why the tfc logo tho
Background pic can always be replaced, just trying to figuring out the right tone of colours / or when i get across into a decent wallpaper i can use for it.

Last edited by WubbaDucky; 12-18-2012 at 11:36 PM.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:37 PM   #18
FDA_Approved
Beta Tester

Great video showcasing all the classes and the FF play style:

And then of course a good video of some sick frags:

And also a video highlighting the movement style of FF would be nice too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_cYPixCQFo

Last edited by FDA_Approved; 12-18-2012 at 11:37 PM.

Old 12-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #19
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
And btw, I love the motto at the top "A true classic never dies" with the TFC feel. It brings back memories and that nostalgia just might be enough to bring some ole TFCers to try FF.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2012, 02:54 AM   #20
Ricey
UI Designer
Front-End Developer
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FDA_Approved View Post
Rice is a literal idiot and sour puss, don't listen to him. He's incredibly jealous someone's actually getting something done with a website.

I don't see how it could hurt AT ALL, especially if your site links to these forums and has links to the download page. That leads me to believe it could only make the community grow and not really separate it.

Also I like the design of your site, it is fairly simple and very pleasant to look at. Again I think rice is jealous. No offense to rices design, which is admittedly sexy. It's just only taken next to for ever.
Jealous? Ha! I can easily list out the sites I have worked on; The reason why FF is taking long is because I do UI Design and Front-end all day, most days I just want to come home and relax.

Also FDA, I do work directly with Disney, Universal and various other companies in that same ranking. I've also have been asked to be interviewed by Google. Trust me when I say, "I am not jealous", that I am indeed not jealous. I hate playing that card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squeek. View Post
Don't understand Ricey's point. Not sure "splitting the community" is even a remote possibility for an information-only site. If he was starting forums (or any type of community-based thing) with the same purpose as these, then I could see it (sort of, they'd still be unofficial and therefore automatically have a separate purpose), but that's not even the case.
Cool stuff WubbaDucky, thanks for helping out..
As of right now, searching for Fortress Forever will lead to here, where the site should be, if fortressforever.eu gains #1, that'll be confusing to newer users. I have seen it happen a few times before, happened one sometime tired to remake an old site of mine. My url was FFAlpha.com/.net and they had finalfantasyalpha.com,funny thing was I got to FFAlpha from AlphaFF.com(Street Fighter Site, dont remember how I found it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by VinnytheBoss View Post
LOL ricey what a hater
Edit: This is coming from a kid who cant even idle in our #ff.pickup channel.
I don't idle in ff.pickup because it's a non-stop battle of idiocracy; nothing but problems in that channel.

Like I said before, I am thankful for WubbaDucky helping, I even wanted him to contact me on whatever IM platform he uses, to help him; as well as him help with the main site.

Quote:
about a 100 per language
Sorry Wubba, but Fortress-Forever.com doesnt even top 50 pages, if you are going to have 100 pages,I do hope I am wrong when saying this,but it sounds more like those pages would be filled the the same content used else where, which to my knowledge can get the site black listed by google. Mind you, I count media pages as one so : Videos, Images, Downloads as three pages, even those wouldn't truly help with getting rankings, even with alt tags properly filled out.

Hit me up on Steam/Skype or whatever ya prefer; I would like to know your plans for .eu in more detail.