Go Back   Fortress Forever > Help & Technical > Server/Player Discussion

Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefox11 View Post
I'm probably going off-topic and I apologize for that, but the curiosity is too big: why "jesus" is a filtered word in the [o-t] servers? (And IIRC, "god" is too?). I've been slayed due to typing "jesus" after getting killed by a mass of SGs in aardvark, and people looked as surprised as me for that slay, which doesn't seem to break any rule explained in the FAQ (or I overlooked it). In that situation, "jesus" was used in place of "omg, there's a SG fortress here!", which I don't think it breaks any rule either.

Thanks and sorry again for the off-topicness. I would have asked in a PM but pretty much everyone on the server was like "wtf" after knowing the status of the word, so I guess it's better as a forum post.
There are a few words in the filter that either bother some clan members but maybe not all. Some couldn't care less, others do. Jesus and Fag would be examples that probably fall into that category, but I don't know when they were added or by whom. *shrug* Other words have been spammed half a million times by someone trying to be annoying (bastard is an example of one) and to stop people from saying it over and over and over again it was added to the filter. I can't remember the last time someone asked for a word to be added... been quite a while... maybe a year.. *shrug* Everyone knows they can slip up, or make an almost unlimited amount of mistakes, so long as they're careful they won't get banned. It takes either intentionally trying to get banned or someone who clearly can't control themselves to actually snag a ban. It's usually the former.

No worries on the question, when people honestly want to know and not critisize we have no problem answering questions about the clan or how we do things or why we do certain things. We're fairly open about most aspects of the clan. (gonna add this to the FAQ tonight)

Scuzzy

Old 01-15-2009, 02:48 PM   #22
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Class/Position: I'm an Offensive Defensive person
Gametype: Fortress Forever
Affiliations: I'm a merc, only thing that talks is money
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
I don't know why people dislike the server rules (of any server). They are there to make the playing environment fun for everyone. After all you don't have to swear to have fun.

The only time I have been banned from a server (which was many many years ago) was because the kid admin thought I was cheating because my score was like 200+ with 30 deaths when the next closest person was 20 kills 30 deaths. kind of thing. (the flag points were added to the kill score).

I don't swear on the servers and I don't actually enjoy being on a server where there is lots of swearing. Specially when idiots bring out the racial slurs. Its pretty much why I only play on the OT servers now and only on the other servers when I want to game and no one is on OT.

And yes, I have seen many servers that have rules about wearing clan tags or even other peoples names that are not yours. Many will give warnings to remove them, if you don't you will get kicked/banned. I've seen the warning messages a few times on the OT servers.

If you can't follow the rules of a server you have 2 options. Stay and get banned, or leave.

If you don't like the rules of a server you have 3 options. Stay, not follow them and get banned or stay and follow the rules even though you don't like them, or leave and go to another server. In such a small community you don't usually have a whole lot of choice, though it is getting bigger and as much as some people don't want to admit it, the OT servers are VERY popular to play on.

Its also your own fault if you get banned from there, no one elses.

I enjoyed playing with torch on there, but its his own damn fault for getting banned.

I am no way connected to the OT servers other then I play on them, but I will defend their right (and any other server owners right) to have what ever rules they want. After all its THEIR servers not yours. They only allow you to play on it.

They are inviting you to play in their house, as long as you follow their house rules, don't like the rules, don't come in.

My reasons for liking their server rules, because I hear so much freaking swearing all day I just don't want to hear it.

Also killing in a game, is not real. Its fake. Its fake blood. Its fake bullets. Its fake bodies. Its fake explosions. Its fake everything. The swearing however, is real.

Sorry for helping to drag it off topic. Next time I see torch in game, I will beat him over the head with a crowbar.
Gwarsbane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #23
illogicality-
pwning CTF since 1999

Class/Position: Yes
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [ gr. ], UGC-FF
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuzzy View Post
Ah, well, the rules are completely explained in the [o-t] FAQ on language.

Answers to your specific question:

Why do you filter language in a violent video game?

If you have any additional questions about that being an oxymoron afterwards feel free to post them, we love adding information to the FAQ to resolve questions about the policy. The more questions that aren't already answered the better. In truth we do not ask people not to swear while playing the game, we just ask they do not transmit it over our server.

No questions here. I fully understand all of your rules and reasons. Bottom line is your server, your rules. No objection from me.

Old 01-17-2009, 11:00 AM   #24
Rawh
FF Whiner
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Engy, D Soldier
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Oh, that's "The Torch!".

I banned him from my servers since of his bad behaviour a few weeks ago.
Nice one about reporting it on the forums, I'll import his steamid again into our banlist!
Rawh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #25
Ihmhi
[AE] 0112 Ihmhi *SJB
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: A little bit o' everythin'
Gametype: Also a little bit o' everythin'
Affiliations: [AE] Asseater, *SJB Straight Jacket Brigade
Send a message via AIM to Ihmhi Send a message via MSN to Ihmhi Send a message via Yahoo to Ihmhi
Bit weird he went off like that. I don't think I've ever heard him speak or seen him type a message. Quiet guy.

Select the pistol, and then, select your horse.
Ihmhi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2009, 04:34 AM   #26
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi View Post
Bit weird he went off like that. I don't think I've ever heard him speak or seen him type a message. Quiet guy.
Me either surprisingly. I've never had a problem that I can remember with him. Maybe someone hacked his account? Or he just got bored. They say idle hands is the devil's playground. Even if you don't believe in the devil, you have to admit when you're bored you do stupid shit to stay mentally occupied.
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2009, 11:40 AM   #27
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by BinaryLife View Post
Me either surprisingly. I've never had a problem that I can remember with him. Maybe someone hacked his account? Or he just got bored. They say idle hands is the devil's playground. Even if you don't believe in the devil, you have to admit when you're bored you do stupid shit to stay mentally occupied.
He emailed the clan for several days, logged into our forums and posted in the Player to Clan communication section. That all coincided with the ip he's been using for a very long time. It's him.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:14 PM   #28
Tyrant
Beta Tester

aw raspberry's.
Tyrant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-19-2009, 10:17 PM   #29
im2cool4uroflolz
y halo thar

Class/Position: Lord of Random Sentry Placement
Can't be the real Torch. What class was he mainly playing?
im2cool4uroflolz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2009, 05:48 AM   #30
Rawh
FF Whiner
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: D Engy, D Soldier
Quote:
Originally Posted by im2cool4uroflolz View Post
Can't be the real Torch. What class was he mainly playing?
You the torch sympathizer? Or just the torch in disguise?
I can show you logs of him not only being an arse but also threaten some of my fellow admins on my community (not o-t)...
Rawh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-27-2009, 09:04 PM   #31
R22B

Class/Position: Sniper / Defensive
As much as o-t rules are a PITA to follow, I enjoy playing there the most.

I dont have to worry about spawn spamming tards/mic screamers/cheaters and admins are always active there.
R22B is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #32
Matt
Offical Pain In Your Ass.

Class/Position: D-Soilder O-Scout
Gametype: The fun kind
Affiliations: Or. FYC
Send a message via AIM to Matt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ihmhi View Post
:3 lol no... He's like me :3
Matt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-28-2009, 03:31 PM   #33
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

I talked to him. He said that he was banned accidentally, then was unbanned then he opened his big mouth about stuff and was banned again.

Sound like the second ban was his own fault.

Rules are there for a reason. It would be nice if people could control themselves a little more. Even on servers where there are basically no rules I don't ever swear. I don't have a need or want to swear on the servers.

Old 01-28-2009, 06:25 PM   #34
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
I talked to him. He said that he was banned accidentally, then was unbanned then he opened his big mouth about stuff and was banned again.

Sound like the second ban was his own fault.

Rules are there for a reason. It would be nice if people could control themselves a little more. Even on servers where there are basically no rules I don't ever swear. I don't have a need or want to swear on the servers.
Well, at least he's a consistent liar. He knows his first ban was intentional, he talked to us about it in our forums, he even spoke directly to the clan member that banned him. The only accident he had was his own assumption (and subsequent reaction) that the ban came from me.

Scuzzy

Old 01-29-2009, 05:16 AM   #35
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

meh, one less person to kill on the server, soon to be replaced with many other new comers who will follow the rules.

Oh well.

Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 PM   #36
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwarsbane View Post
meh, one less person to kill on the server, soon to be replaced with many other new comers who will follow the rules.

Oh well.
then proceed to quit fortress forever.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #37
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
?

Gwarsbane makes a really good point

:e0: Will live on Forever
Support FF:
GeoKill-----> is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-31-2009, 10:29 PM   #38
Circuitous
Useless
Retired FF Staff

Class/Position: D Soldier, O Scout
Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Send a message via AIM to Circuitous Send a message via MSN to Circuitous Send a message via Yahoo to Circuitous Send a message via Skype™ to Circuitous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m View Post
Tired of it. Bye.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #39
Gwarsbane
Slayer of humans
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m View Post
That goes for any game, FF is not different.

Course I wonder just how many have played fortress forever, played on a bunch of servers then played on the OT server, got warned many times, over and over again, got a kick came back broke rules again, got temp ban, came back, broke more rules got warned about being banned again, continued to break rules, got banned again. convinced the OT people it would never happen again, then came back, broke rules again and got banned for good and got bitter about it.

Course there are the ones that came on to the OT server first, broke a rule, got warned and then broke the rules again and again and again. got warning after warning, kick after kick, temp ban and never came back after that.

Seriously there are all these idiots out there that try to make it look like OT bans on the first offense for every little broken rule. THEY DON'T!!!

You have to be a real idiot to keep breaking the rules there. People who break the rules get chance after chance to play by their rules.

Nukem, I considered you a friend online, I enjoy talking with you when I see you, but you're only making yourself look like an idiot bashing the OT people and servers.

Ever wonder why their servers are almost always full? Cause there are lots of people who can play by their rules and have no problem playing by those rules. Its just the people that can't or won't grow up a little who keep getting themselves banned.

I grew up a long time ago and realized that you don't need to swear to have fun. Until you and many others learn that lesson, places like the OT server will be off limits to you.

So I say this with as much respect as I can, not just to you but to others out there... grow up.

Old 02-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #40
GeoKill----->
Community Member
Server Owner
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: Soldier/Spy/Scout
Affiliations: :e0:Eternal Order Leader
Posts Rated Helpful 12 Times
Don't even bother with Nukem no more, we wont see him for a while