Go Back   Fortress Forever > Community > General Discussion

Old 04-25-2008, 10:09 AM   #8021
Scuzzy
D&A Member
Retired FF Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 2 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doompiggy
What about those people who got banned for nothing? LIKE ME! You're keeping me out of the "fun" on your server because of something ONE FUCKING PERSON DID AND I HAD NO PART IN. So now I'm stuck playing by myself in an empty server because I got banned from the "popular" server for no damn reason.
There is always the possibility that a ban was a mistake, that the wrong person was hit, what have you. We keep fairly detailed records on players and situations just in case so that we can review them if we need to. If you want your ban reviewed, fill out an inquiry form: http://forums.oldtimersclan.com/sendmessage.php Give your side of the story, whatever that may be. I have no idea what you were banned for or by whom. I also do not make the calls for who is banned or unbanned. There is a process in place to handle them, and I am usually just the messenger.

Scuzzy

Old 04-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #8022
Ginger Lord
Retired FF Staff

Affiliations: Custard
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Send a message via MSN to Ginger Lord
Locked, clean up and cleansing taking place.

Be right back.

Edit: Reopened minus the offtopic flaming and unneeded abusing of others. If you don't like someones server, whine on their forums not ours.

Doompiggy banned for 2 days for ignoring my advice of dropping the attitude, many other people are lucky they arn't following him.

Drop the attitude, drop the attacking other peoples servers, if you don't like the way they run their server find another or make your own.

Re-opened.

Last edited by Ginger Lord; 04-25-2008 at 10:56 AM.
Ginger Lord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 01:17 PM   #8023
caesium
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: anything
Gametype: everything
Affiliations: #teamfail
Posts Rated Helpful 27 Times
the way i see it there are 3 issues atm:

1. general game balance tweaking/development (e.g. hw/mancannon/sgs/etc/etc/blah). this is all known about and will be patched in due course, so isn't anything to worry about in the longterm.

2. kick-ass player animations and training/help modes. we need to attract/retain potential players who haven't been playing TFC hardcore for 10 years, and the vast majority of those ppl are severely put off by two things atm: a) the way FF looks; b) the fact that they don't always know what they should be trying to do and how they should best try to do it (i.e. they don't know how to learn class skills such as concing/etc), and so they completely miss out on what makes FF's gameplay great). the latter can be solved by training/help modes, and so we are left with FF's look... imo the player animations are by far the single biggest factor regarding the rather uninspiring and lame look of the game (the models themselves are actually pretty decent in stills [they just look mega cr4p and dull in motion], and the community can obviously determine their prefered look for future maps themselves - so that's np). FF has so much chaos and ppl flying around at high speeds that it's a great opportunity to make the game look awesome solely by having great player animations.

3. this may sound weird, but i don't play FF atm simply because nobody else does. i really want to clan in it, but the lack of activity and competition just means there's no point atm. i know that this view is shared by quite a lot of ex TFC would-be-FF-clanners in europe, and it's a really silly situation lol. imo the solution is to work from the other end: if we can fix point number 2 above (make the game attract/retain new players) then new player numbers will rise, clan activity/competition will increase, and i recon a lot of currently inactive would-be-FF-clanners would then suddenly come out of the woodwork this one isn't really a problem that needs a direct solution in the sense that #1 and #2 are, but i think it's extremely important for ppl to understand this when thinking about the future of FF.

so in summary, #1 will be solved in due course, #3 will be solved by #2, and so we are left with #2... if anyone thinks they (or anyone they know, like maybe batman) can help with #2 then pls get in touch!
caesium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 02:55 PM   #8024
richard nixon

you forgot number 4. Which is scantily clad women.

FF needs more of this:

and less of this:

and maybe controls where you could play the game with only one hand...
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 03:12 PM   #8025
greenday5494
Holy shit, thats kerrigan!
D&A Member

Class/Position: D, whatever the team needs, usually engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: None
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ginger Lord
Locked, clean up and cleansing taking place.

Be right back.

Edit: Reopened minus the offtopic flaming and unneeded abusing of others. If you don't like someones server, whine on their forums not ours.

Doompiggy banned for 2 days for ignoring my advice of dropping the attitude, many other people are lucky they arn't following him.

Drop the attitude, drop the attacking other peoples servers, if you don't like the way they run their server find another or make your own.

Re-opened.
thanks buddy!
greenday5494 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 04:00 PM   #8026
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Med / Solly
Gametype: PAYLOAD
Affiliations: DET-
Posts Rated Helpful 19 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
lmfao
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:
Dr.Satan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 04:28 PM   #8027
Nuk3m
Banned

Class/Position: Scout / Offense
Gametype: Capture the Flag
Affiliations: :e0: Founder
Send a message via AIM to Nuk3m
People dont like this game because the server admins suck, all inclusive. Because people bitch you out if you dont know what your doing. The game isnt leading enough to show you how to play properly. There is no straight set rule to play the game, hence deathmatching in the yard. You need to visually show the player what the fuck to do, because we all know the average newb is a moron when it comes to FF.

More show me how; less bitch out the newbs.
Nuk3m is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #8028
BlisTer
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 4 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caesium
then new player numbers will rise, clan activity/competition will increase, and i recon a lot of currently inactive would-be-FF-clanners would then suddenly come out of the woodwork
This is true to the same extent as 2.0 spawned a few clans compared to the months before that. But the effect will be equally small in scale even if you spice up the animations. The problem is that without advertising you'll never reach a critical amount of players even if the game is perfect.

You'll still have the law of gravitation where tf2 keeps sucking up more of the TF fans compared to the small FF planet. I agree FF needs to be as good as it can to keep the ppl we attract (training map etc), but we still need to attract them or peak their interest enough to give it a go.

Once you reached enough ppl that give it a go and stick around cause the game is good and you trained them all the moves, you'll have a big enough "planet" to attract more ppl on its own and we're good. We had this opportunity in september but too many problems existed to keep ppl.

As for us clanners i really don't understand what's so gamebreaking to not have more matches. We still play sometimes and i never get the feeling of "yeah, thats why other clans dont wanna play"

Old 04-25-2008, 06:04 PM   #8029
BinaryLife
D&A Member
Wiki Team

Gametype: CTF
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Send a message via AIM to BinaryLife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuk3m
People dont like this game because the server admins suck, all inclusive. Because people bitch you out if you dont know what your doing. The game isnt leading enough to show you how to play properly. There is no straight set rule to play the game, hence deathmatching in the yard. You need to visually show the player what the fuck to do, because we all know the average newb is a moron when it comes to FF.

More show me how; less bitch out the newbs.
I very rarely find myself in a situation where people are making fun of noobs. In fact I've noticed a lot of helping them out when they have questions. Deathmatching in the yard doesn't bother everyone. On pub servers most people don't care in fact, at least that I've noticed. When you play clan style it's a different story, partially because you all agree before hand on certain rules to be followed so everyone playing is playing the way they want. That doesn't happen on a pub server. As of yet I haven't heard anyone complain at all. Can you show examples? At least major examples that demonstrate how this is hurting new players?
BinaryLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 06:50 PM   #8030
Icarus
D&A Member

I played FF for the first 3 months then gave up tbh . I found the maps very poor for decent play. No 2Fort , fucking terrible Well , confusing monkey , half maps etc.

Aardvark was decent and SD2 was fun but it was difficult finding them on rotations enough to keep any interest in the mod.

I did have the occasional crashs and some of the bugs were a bit annoying but they didnt bother me too much. Lack of decent gameplay was what killed it for me rather than any of these issues.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:26 PM   #8031
jordan10la

Class/Position: Medic
Affiliations: {FYC}
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus
I played FF for the first 3 months then gave up tbh . I found the maps very poor for decent play. No 2Fort , fucking terrible Well , confusing monkey , half maps etc.

Aardvark was decent and SD2 was fun but it was difficult finding them on rotations enough to keep any interest in the mod.

Lack of decent gameplay was what killed it for me rather than any of these issues.
First off there is ff_blis_2fort which I find great. I absolutely love Well. How is Monkey confusing? Aardvark gets played a lot I find. Lack of good gameplay? Honestly? Seriously? Wow I ind the gameplay absolutely great.
jordan10la is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 07:44 PM   #8032
Icarus
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan10la
First off there is ff_blis_2fort which I find great. I absolutely love Well. How is Monkey confusing? Aardvark gets played a lot I find. Lack of good gameplay? Honestly? Seriously? Wow I ind the gameplay absolutely great.
For me - and this was playing in pubs :-

Well :-
Constant conc point spam into spawns
2 exit flag options , water or throught the fd spam
Buildable hidden wall sgs (iirc this was fixed ?)

I liked the redesign of the ramp room and flagroom but apart from that i thought it sucked. No fluidity at all. I understand why it was changed for the clan game but i think those changes ruined it as a decent pub map. It has nothing on TFC Well

Monkey :
Red/Green team choice was pretty silly imo , especially with the amount of green background and the colour blindness thing

Overall SD2 was the best map although Aardvark was close , it did suffer slightly on pubs due to the easy spammed conc ramp/spawn and the overuse of snipers. A well timed conc/speed ramp/flag steal move was great if you could get by the 6 sgs

Old 04-25-2008, 07:50 PM   #8033
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:

I liked the redesign of the ramp room and flagroom but apart from that i thought it sucked. No fluidity at all. I understand why it was changed for the clan game but i think those changes ruined it as a decent pub map. It has nothing on TFC Well
Well is almost an exact port of the TFC well...just can't toss the flag out of the window any longer and that section had some slight aesthetics changed in it. I'm not sure of anything that was changed in the FR though...except maybe widen / shortening it for FF...

Quote:
Monkey :
Red/Green team choice was pretty silly imo , especially with the amount of green background and the colour blindness thing
It's been blue v red for at least one patch (maybe 2 now) but I agree that that was very silly.

Quote:
Overall SD2 was the best map although Aardvark was close , it did suffer slightly on pubs due to the easy spammed conc ramp/spawn and the overuse of snipers. A well timed conc/speed ramp/flag steal move was great if you could get by the 6 sgs
Agreed, but you really should check out some of the newer maps now...there is an almost perfect collection on the UGC Files Page for everyone to view and download.
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-25-2008, 07:57 PM   #8034
Skanky Butterpuss
Beware the Hammer
Buffalo Butterpuss
D&A Member
Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Sabotaging your shit.
Affiliations: :}|, mimic, /KBN/
Quote:

im assuming you were a sniper, otherwise this wouldnt affect you. that isnt the only sniper position, nor is it the only spawn exit.

Quote:
what is bad about this? please elaborate.

Quote:
was fixed

Quote:
Monkey :
this was fixed as well. red vs blue again.

Quote:
A well timed conc/speed ramp/flag steal move was great if you could get by the 6 sgs
this has been made slightly better for offense as the bags around the base dont give full cells like they used to. its still a bitch, but thats why most servers have a limit on engiqueers (and why we are trying to get the SG fixed so it isnt a superpower like it is now)

i think if you try FF again, you might have a better time now

EDIT: DAMMIT SATAN!
Etzell: They really are
Etzell: But even SAYING that makes me want to vomit
Skanky Butterpuss is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 08:04 PM   #8035
Dr.Satan
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skanky Butterpuss
EDIT: DAMMIT SATAN!
lmfao...I was reading it and I'm like...didn't I just say that!
(Models) props_trainyard
Support FF:

Old 04-25-2008, 10:33 PM   #8036
Icarus
D&A Member

Quote:
im assuming you were a sniper, otherwise this wouldnt affect you. that isnt the only sniper position, nor is it the only spawn exit.
No , scout or medic. Getting out when it was constantly mirved / burned / infected was generally just a bag of shit. It was a poorly designed spawn exit considering spawn spam was always an issue in TFC. The last version i tried had added ceiling guns to try and fix this but didnt really accomplish much

Sniping from that spot is possibly the worst place for snipers to be i found .

Quote:
what is bad about this? please elaborate.
Because I like to offy and i found that the usual 80% def on publics with only 2 very tight flag exits just plain annoying. A touched flag usually resulted in demo/hw/engi spam all over the FD/RR. Played under clan style conditions this map would be fine i think, as it was designed to be , but for publics it was just not fun.

[Before you mention it , I don't like easy games for offy , i do prefer playing against good defs where i need to play well to cap or even touch the flag but spam wins best on FF Well]

The fixing of the other 2 points is good and I may one day try it again but it just doesnt hold my interest when the maps I enjoyed most are , to me , not conducive to good public play.

Old 04-25-2008, 10:35 PM   #8037
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard nixon
you forgot number 4. Which is scantily clad women.

FF needs more of this:

and less of this:

Hahah that made my day.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete
KubeDawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 11:15 PM   #8038
Peon
Altitude Junkie
D&A Member

Class/Position: Agressive Medic or Pyro...as long as I can fly baby!
Gametype: CTF
I'd also like to know what server all this noob bashing is going on in. There's like 2 populated servers, on average, every night.....so odds are if it were happening, I would see it......which I never do. I only yell out for people to cap the flag, because I'm waiting for it.

If were on the subject of catering to new players, Well is like the perfect map for them.....I don't see any major flaws in that map. In fact, I really miss the 24/7 Well server......can't remember the name.

On the other hand, you can say that Aardvark is a really good map.....which it is.....but it's not a noob friendly map at all. You can't even DM in the yard very well, due to the hail of sniper fire.

You want to help this game....get 2fort in the next patch and get FF mentioned in one of those Steam news updates.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that sometime, somewhere, someone said to themselves, “You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I’m just not close enough to get the job done.”"
- George Carlin
Peon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2008, 11:19 PM   #8039
[AE] 82694
Retired FF Staff

And for my contribution to this thread "bla bla bla" read all the other ff is dead threads and you come up with all the same shit.

People play in spurts and until we get some "Good Promo/advertisement" the player base will stay small, Just us hardcore FF'rs that play on a regular basis.

Just by watching my fast DL bandwidth I can see that new players are coming in all the time. If there wasn't it would stop using the amount of bandwidth it currently is. So people are DL the game and trying it some stay some don't But with out a major PR campaign like TF2 had FF player base will stay small.

Are there issues with FF? yes
Are they fixable? yes
Is all this FF is dead thread going to help? no
Do the Dev's do a damn good job making FF patch's in their spare time? Fuck Yes.

If any of you can do a better job put up or shut the fuck up.

Old 04-26-2008, 02:09 AM   #8040
richard nixon

if you read the OP's post he says that he made this for conversation and just to let out his opinion. This is a forum isn't it? Also I don't remember him saying that this thread will cure the problem or even help.

No reason to be hostile and negative 82694. Want a hug?
richard nixon is offline   Reply With Quote