Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 09-28-2007, 06:49 AM   #1
Lt Llama

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
You have any clue why light_environment not working?

This log error

Quote:
No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_day01_01rt"
seems to be a problem Google do not have a good answer on.
I have tested this on a test map, just a box without using any skybox + a map with skybox. They both give the same log error.

In the map using the 2d skybox most of the map is pitch black, some light slips through. I have tested to change the brightness to everything between 200-2000 and something happens but it doesnt solve the blackness. Have also tested to add normal lights evenly spread out, and same issue.

Are there any issues with skyboxes I dont know about or some noob error I'm doing which cause it?

A lot of things can be tested back and forth, but if anyone have a hint in the right direction I would appreciate it.
Lt Llama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 07:46 AM   #2
RusH|RoK|

I am a noob to mapping, so my response may be totally random.

Could it be the lights.rad file? I tried to use some texture lighting and had no luck until I copied this file into my fortress directories.
RusH|RoK| is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 07:54 AM   #3
Lt Llama

I dont think so Rush, but i will test it.

Old 09-28-2007, 08:20 AM   #4
fisheye

if you have the pitch value of the light_env still at the default setting, try changing it to -70.
fisheye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 10:08 AM   #5
NyRoNiC

That error has to do with maps that use HDR lighting effects(they need HDR compatible skyboxes). So ignore it.

As for your problem its most likely what fisheye said, try checking the pitch settings to make sure its actually aiming in a downward direction.
NyRoNiC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 10:32 AM   #6
stino

skyboxes and light_environment have nothing todo with eachoter.

the only thing that relates them is the tools/skybox texture.

light_environment casts light rays from every face with that texture in the direction specified by pitch, yaw and roll, and the seperate pitch value.

and the same texture gets replaced by a rendering of the 2d skybox.

so if something goes wrong with one of both, the other should still work.

and $hdr error isn't a problem, it's simply becouse you used a hl2sp skybox that doesn't support hdr, so if you plan to compile your map with hdr, you should take another skybox
stino is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 12:06 PM   #7
Lt Llama

I used the aim at feature for the light_environment and its -25 in pitch which is from where i want the light to emenate in the sky texture. Its above and in front of the main area to lit up, so in theory this would cast light on that area. I dont think its the pitch because of this, but I will try and change it.

I try and change to the ideal settings according to this list
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List

and also find our more about hdr

Thanks for all answers, I keep you posted

Old 09-28-2007, 12:12 PM   #8
sir_frags

"No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_day01_01rt" "

I've never found that to be an error in any of my maps. I get that all the time, but my light environment still works. In fact, when you run the map in Steam to play it, I think it says this in the steam game console too. But I think when you run Buildcubemaps and then restart the map, this whole line stops reporting in the steam game console.

Anyway, if your light environment is not working, you got a leak or some problem with your skybox. Delete the skybox and build a new one and make it big so that it covers everything in the map--just to make sure nothing has fallen outside the skybox. Just because Hammer or your build programs dont say you have a leak, doesnt mean you dont have one somewhere.

*Frags*

EDIT: wait a minute, you trying to aim at a certain area? is that what you are saying? Dont use a light environment for that. use the light spot man. and then select "point at" to aim it generally where you want and then play with the Constant and Cone sizes to achieve your desired effect.

Last edited by sir_frags; 09-28-2007 at 12:35 PM.
sir_frags is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2007, 01:54 PM   #9
Lt Llama

No, what im saying is that i used the built in "Point at ..." feature in the light_environment. The fact that the compiler whines about $hdrbasetexture, isnt that the compiler settings which asks for a $hdrbasetexture in sky_day01_01?

Valve says

Quote:
If you don't use the Hammer built-in compiler, you can use the following commands with VRAD for use on the command-line: -both, -ldr, -hdr, and -final. Now a .BSP file can contain two sets of lightmaps for both LDR and HDR. To compile both add the command -both to VRAD. If you want to compile just the LDR version add -ldr, and for HDR only add -hdr. Another new command that was added for this release is -final which is used to increase the quality of skylight and indirect light by spending more CPU time firing rays.
I am using the HL2CG interface for compiling and i chosed "Valve compiler" but in HL2CG's compile settings for RAD there is no place to add "-ldr" to it.

But even so, mat_hdr_enabled is set to 0 when i run buildcubemaps so that wouldnt have any impact, right?

Old 09-28-2007, 03:08 PM   #10
Lt Llama

Worked with pitch -90 .

Old 09-28-2007, 03:45 PM   #11
stino

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Llama
I used the aim at feature for the light_environment and its -25 in pitch which is from where i want the light to emenate in the sky texture. Its above and in front of the main area to lit up, so in theory this would cast light on that area. I dont think its the pitch because of this, but I will try and change it.

I try and change to the ideal settings according to this list
http://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/Sky_List

and also find our more about hdr

Thanks for all answers, I keep you posted
point to sets pitch yaw and roll, but that pitch isn't the pitch that's used

there is a seperate pitch value.
stino is offline   Reply With Quote