Fortress Forever Staff

Class/Position: Rallygun Shooter
Gametype: Conc tag (you just wait)
Affiliations: Mustache Brigade
Posts Rated Helpful 352 Times
Send a message via AIM to squeek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by angrypyro View Post
I don't see what the overhaul could be that would fix this problem though. A sniper is supposed to shot from afar. That's what makes it a sniper.
Indeed. That's why the solution is not trivial, and why we are not going to rush into anything.

My Non-official Maps
Released FF_DM_Squeek - FF_2Mesa3_Classic - FF_Siege_Classic
Beta FF_Myth - FF_Redlight_Greenlight

Sick of the people on the internet, always moanin'. They just moan.
- Karl Pilkington

Old 07-29-2010, 03:50 PM   #62
Hammock
D&A Member

Posts Rated Helpful 13 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
So you're saying, if the enemy team has a sniper, your whole team should snipe? Or are you assuming that will happen? The best way to counter a sniper, is with a sniper.... not a whole damned team of them. Sniper is a support class, not a major class like the scout/medic/solly.

(btw- a good sniper war is a load of fun on snipers only maps, or if everyone wants to do it on a "regular" map.)
A sniper war, would only solve the problem if the two snipers just stuck to killing eachother, but they don't.

The enemy team has an annoying sniper picking off your O before it gets to their base. So the only solution is to get our own sniper to cause the same annoyances to the enemy team? You just doubled the problem with that solution. Instead of 1 team being harassed, both teams are being harassed.

And what makes it worse, there's very rarely a 1 sniper limit, Talos has it set to 2 I think, so all of a sudden because of one sniper annoying your offense, you loose two offense to the sniper class to deal with their sniper, the enemy team is getting annoyed at being sniped by you guys and adds 1 more sniper to their roster. Personally I don't think the sniper plays O or D it's in a class of its own, but if you want to put it somewhere it's Defense. So now we got 3 more people playing defense than before this sniper came in.

This is not a viable solution. It ruins games, I've seen it where not only do 2 of my players switch to sniper to combat him, other offense on my team switch to spys and pyros just to harass him, they spend their whole time focused on those 1 or 2 guys, which has got nothing to do with capping or defending a flag at this point.

Old 07-31-2010, 05:05 AM   #63
Pixel
if(0>1){printf("broked");}
Beta Tester

Class/Position: O
Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy View Post
So you're saying, if the enemy team has a sniper, your whole team should snipe? Or are you assuming that will happen? The best way to counter a sniper, is with a sniper.... not a whole damned team of them. Sniper is a support class, not a major class like the scout/medic/solly.

(btw- a good sniper war is a load of fun on snipers only maps, or if everyone wants to do it on a "regular" map.)
Then the snipers aren't contributing anything to the game because they are too busy killing each other.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:34 PM   #64
Ink.

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
- Take alternate routes.

- Move in unpredictable patterns, strafe, hop, crouch.

- Set up jump ramps from inside your base and launch yourself into the mid map in different ways.

- Pipe bomb past them.

- Conc past them.

- Rocket jump past them.

- Pyro jump past them.

- If you're a spy cloak past them.

- If you're a sniper, go from an alternative entrance and take out the opposing Sniper before he or she sees you.

- If you're a sniper, be quicker than the other sniper.

- If you're a heavy or an engineer, you shouldn't be on offense anyway.

I mainly play CTF, and for the most part Snipers are basically neligible. I don't get how they are overpowered at all, and I've never had any trouble with them in FF (though I've only been playing for a few days) and TFC (same tactics apply).

You're not suppose to be able to kill a sniper at long range. Also, most classes shouldn't be trying to kill one another at a sniper range in the first place.

The Sniper should be changed, but his game needs to be different because he isn't good, not because he is overpowered.

Last edited by Ink.; 12-29-2010 at 08:14 PM.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:45 PM   #65
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
Sniper sucks, get rid of it, end of story.

Old 12-29-2010, 07:49 PM   #66
GenghisTron
AKA LittleAndroidMan
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Demo/Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [TALOS] [SR]
Posts Rated Helpful 11 Times
The apocalypse is upon us.

Old 12-29-2010, 08:22 PM   #67
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink. View Post
- Take alternate routes.

- Move in unpredictable patterns, strafe, hop, crouch.

- Set up jump ramps from inside your base and launch yourself into the mid map in different ways.

- Pipe bomb past them.

- Conc past them.

- Rocket jump past them.

- Pyro jump past them.

- If you're a spy cloak past them.

- If you're a sniper, go from an alternative entrance and take out the opposing Sniper before he or she sees you.

- If you're a sniper, be quicker than the other sniper.

- If you're a heavy or an engineer, you shouldn't be on offense anyway.

I mainly play CTF, and for the most part Snipers are basically neligible. I don't get how they are overpowered at all, and I've never had any trouble with them in FF (though I've only been playing for a few days) and TFC (same tactics apply).

You're not suppose to be able to kill a sniper at long range. Also, most classes shouldn't be trying to kill one another at a sniper range in the first place.

The Sniper should be changed, but his game needs to be different because he isn't good, not because he is overpowered.
agreed
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 PM   #68
Crazycarl
D&A Member
Wiki Team
Fortress Forever Staff

Posts Rated Helpful 31 Times
All the above tatics involve hoping the sniper doesn't miss/doesn't see you. That's not a fun interaction, any way you slice it.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:16 PM   #69
KubeDawg
Nade Whore
Server Owner
Beta Tester

Class/Position: Scout/Soldier
Gametype: CTF/TDM
Affiliations: blunt. Moto
Posts Rated Helpful 128 Times
Yeah because snipers should shoot rainbows and flowers out of his gun... Very effective. The sniper should be feared, and that's something he's not. Avoiding sniper fire is simple. The Sniper needs something that gives him more of a purpose, to scare the ever living shit out of someone.
Moto's Funhouse | Dallas, TX - 74.91.114.247:27015

ff_plunder - Complete

Old 12-29-2010, 09:23 PM   #70
moosh
WhenNailGrenWillOut?
Beta Tester

Gametype: mp_prematch
Affiliations: [:)] - Frag Happy, babe|
Posts Rated Helpful 29 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KubeDawg View Post
Yeah because snipers should shoot rainbows and flowers out of his gun... Very effective. The sniper should be feared, and that's something he's not. Avoiding sniper fire is simple. The Sniper needs something that gives him more of a purpose, to scare the ever living shit out of someone.
Give sniper the ability to shit out The Blob. That will definitely terrify anyone who tries to fuck with him.

"As the the new year approaches I await for it like an case of explosive fecalomania otherwise know as diareha or the massive shits. I am gripping the sides of the toilet as my stomach produces the first hollow thud out of the anus of the year to come." DarkeN_HellspawN

Old 12-29-2010, 09:29 PM   #71
Ink.

Gametype: Capture the Flag
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazycarl View Post
All the above tatics involve hoping the sniper doesn't miss/doesn't see you. That's not a fun interaction, any way you slice it.
Actually, those are tactics to raise the chances that the sniper misses you. It is a fight, he is trying to kill you obviously and thus the struggle. The entire point is to make it hard for him. I mean heck, if a soldier can't miss then he is basically unbeatable, more so than a sniper.

Technically speaking, in order to defeat a sniper, you really have to evade his initial shot while advancing. After that, he is basically useless, at best he might be able to get an uncharged shot (extremely unlikely if you're playing Medic or Scout).

Last edited by Ink.; 12-29-2010 at 09:35 PM.

Old 12-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #72
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
GET RID OF THE SNIPER CLASS, PROBLEM SOLVED

Last edited by Majesty; 12-30-2010 at 05:53 AM.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:25 AM   #73
Iggy
Heartless Threadkiller
Beta Tester
Forum Moderator

Class/Position: D-Solly / O-Medic
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: [AE] AssEaters
Posts Rated Helpful 42 Times
I think we're done here.
Publishers Website My book on BN.com My book on Amazon.com

Friend me on Facebook