Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Chat

Old 08-17-2005, 02:14 AM   #1
o_deadly furby

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
$50 laptop sale sets off violent stampede

$50 laptop sale sets off violent stampede
People trampled, beaten with folding chair as 'total chaos' takes over

Updated: 5:28 p.m. ET Aug. 16, 2005
RICHMOND, Va. - A rush to purchase $50 used laptops turned into a violent stampede Tuesday, with people getting thrown to the pavement, beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far as to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

“This is total, total chaos,” said Latoya Jones, 19, who lost one of her flip-flops in the ordeal and later limped around on the sizzling blacktop with one foot bare.

An estimated 5,500 people turned out at the Richmond International Raceway in hopes of getting their hands on one of the 4-year-old Apple iBooks. The Henrico County school system was selling 1,000 of the computers to county residents. New iBooks cost between $999 and $1,299.

Officials opened the gates at 7 a.m., but some already had been waiting since 1:30 a.m. When the gates opened, it became a terrifying mob scene.

People threw themselves forward, screaming and pushing each other. A little girl’s stroller was crushed in the stampede. Witnesses said an elderly man was thrown to the pavement, and someone in a car tried to drive his way through the crowd.

Seventeen people suffered minor injuries, with four requiring hospital treatment, Henrico County Battalion Chief Steve Wood said. There were no arrests and the iBooks sold out by 1 p.m.

"It's rather strange that we would have such a tremendous response for the purchase of a laptop computer — and laptop computers that probably have less-than- desirable attributes," said Paul Proto, director of general services for Henrico County. "But I think that people tend to get caught up in the excitement of the event — it almost has an entertainment value."

Blandine Alexander, 33, said one woman standing in front of her was so desperate to retain her place in line that she urinated on herself.

"I've never been in something like that before, and I never again will," said Alexander, who brought her 14-year-old twin boys to the complex at 4:30 a.m. to wait in line. "No matter what the kids want, I already told them I'm not doing that again."

Jesse Sandler said he was one of the people pushing forward, using a folding chair he had brought with him to beat back people who tried to cut in front of him.

"I took my chair here and I threw it over my shoulder and I went, 'Bam,'" the 20-year-old said nonchalantly, his eyes glued to the screen of his new iBook, as he tapped away on the keyboard at a testing station.

"They were getting in front of me and I was there a lot earlier than them, so I thought that it was just," he said.

Copyright 2005 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Damn, I always forget to read the small print before posting......
o_deadly furby is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 03:23 AM   #2
o_[slayer]beaver_shots

lol I dont know what to say that is sad and funny. One time when I was about 15 a car lot was haveing a promotion where they where selling 2 cars for 50 bucks. The trick was you didnt know whitch car was going to be soled for that price. So they where going to come and put the new prices on the cars at like noon or something and you had to be sitting in the car at the time to be the one to buy it. Well I was down there with some friends becuse there was a huge mob out there starting about 6 am. Well it was a alot like what the first post described. People pushing and some fist fights the cops had to break it up and I dont know if any one got a car for 50 bucks or not. Funny thing is all the possable cars where on the used lot and most where total crap any how.
o_[slayer]beaver_shots is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 12:22 PM   #3
o_sobe green

That would have been fun.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
o_broodingdude

I woulda brought my cattle-prod.
o_broodingdude is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 10:21 PM   #5
o_lithium

Heheh , Rumbles.
o_lithium is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-17-2005, 10:24 PM   #6
o_travis dane

Interesting how human decency evaporates when money is involved.
o_travis dane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 01:29 AM   #7
o_[slayer]beaver_shots

I was arrested for "inciting a riot" once at ozzfest 99 in washington state. Im not even shure why I got taken in, I was just sort of there. I did argue with the cops though when they got there I think that was probly it.

Old 08-18-2005, 01:55 AM   #8
o_broodingdude

Hey! I was in the paddy wagon behind you! :P

...small world sometimes.

Old 08-18-2005, 04:10 AM   #9
o_[slayer]beaver_shots

Wow thats crazy. Good show though huh? I was just so pissed that tickets where like 80 bucks then the "camp ground" area was a place you had to pay like 50 bucks or something to camp. People where tiping out houses and lighting fires it was kinda crazy. The cops didnt charge me with anything becuse I really didnt do anything wrong. I think they just wanted to make an example of me. What did you get hauled off for?

Old 08-18-2005, 12:07 PM   #10
o_voipme

Oh those wacky Virginians. When will they ever learn?
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 03:54 PM   #11
o_zippy

beaten with a folding chair and nearly driven over. One woman went so far as to wet herself rather than surrender her place in line.

Same thing happened to me when HL2 hit the shops
o_zippy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-18-2005, 06:02 PM   #12
o_broodingdude

Quote:
Originally Posted by [SLAYER
Beaver_shots]Wow thats crazy. Good show though huh? I was just so pissed that tickets where like 80 bucks then the "camp ground" area was a place you had to pay like 50 bucks or something to camp. People where tiping out houses and lighting fires it was kinda crazy. The cops didnt charge me with anything becuse I really didnt do anything wrong. I think they just wanted to make an example of me. What did you get hauled off for?
Assault... I was beating the living shit out of this guy. But it was actually self-defense, because he was trying to mug me at knife-point. A bunch of friends and even strangers came to the station and filled out reports. They all coincided so I was let go.