Fortress Forever

Go Back   Fortress Forever > Editing > Mapping

Old 03-15-2005, 05:01 PM   #1
o_osiris

Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Updated: Project started, 2 early progress pics

howdy, I used to be a TFC mapper way back, like a year or two ago but I stopped due to the inability of the Half-Life engine to support the level of details I like to include in my maps. The source engine has rekindled my love for mapping but I still havent really gotten back into it all... until now, something about this mod just tickles my pickle. So to start things off, Im going to need a few suggestions on some maps I could remake for the new engine for a little practice until I can get some of my long-lost creativity back and design my own maps again.

What do you guys think about Rock2? Badlands is also a nice map. What do you guys think I should remake?
o_osiris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 05:36 PM   #2
o_headz

I dont think there are many valve maps left to remake, but have a go at new level design, just start doodleing on paper or in hammer and you should get a design fairly quickly
o_headz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 05:57 PM   #3
o_osiris

im not necessarily talking a valve map, just something reasonably popular that you might like to see revamped. If you can think of none, how about some suggestions for a map play-style you might like to see? Dustbowl:Source anyone?

EDIT: Just saw the other thread listing all in-production maps Guess something original is my only real option eh?

Old 03-15-2005, 06:05 PM   #4
o_voipme

Ravelin. A remake of that might be welcome.
o_voipme is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 07:01 PM   #5
o_zsleek7

I remember when CJ2 was an extremely fun (and popular) pub map. Maybe you could make a renewed ADL style CJ2 map with multiple attack/defend phases (maybe the original version be the first phase), it had a lot of great features to it.

I also recently started mapping and have one really interesting CTF design, but my skill level is far below what the potential that the map could be. If you want I could send you what I have, as I know I will not make it complete for a very long time!
o_zsleek7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 08:01 PM   #6
o_elvis2049

how about warpath ??
o_elvis2049 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2005, 09:01 PM   #7
o_osiris

Warpath is a good idea for a map, Ravelin seems to be a map where creativity could be used to the extreme. Maybe one I'll tackle at a later time but for now Im going to stick with something a little simpler. I'll take some screenshots for Warpath when I get home from school and see what I can come up with in terms of changes and the sort.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:25 PM   #8
o_soulcutter

Sa_metal. Sa_metal. Sa_metal.
o_soulcutter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 05:23 AM   #9
o_osiris

I looked around a bit on Warpath but decided against it due to the fact that Im not quite as skilled at making rocky walls as I wish I was (look at the screenshots from the map Uno). Im going with an underground, bunker to bunker style map.
Visual Style: Clean
Gametype: Modified Rock2

Capturing the "flag" will result in a light's out for the enemy team... literally, regular lighting in their base will be shut down leaving total darkness for approx 5 seconds before emergency lighting (dark red) kicks in and the main doors seal the base down, no one in, no one out. As in rock2, a gas will be released killing anyone not in a safe-room, of which there will only be two, maybe 3 per base (Screw the god-mode suits I say!) After all is said and done, the doors open up and the regular lighting comes on. Depending on how it all comes together, Im also thinking of adding a few combine monitors into the capture room that will be activated during this whole sequence to view camera's located in the enemy base and watch it all go down. Almost like sitting back and cracking open a nice cold beer to watch a nuke go off on the country you're at war with

No pictures as of yet, (Im not a fan of out-of-game preview shots, and I need to sort out a few compiling errors before I can test-run it.)

Old 03-16-2005, 05:56 AM   #10
o_sobe green

Check out my Cabah topic. I was going to attempt to do it along with a few other people but most of us just don't have the time. I did leave a zip full of some ideas and things I was throwing around in the topic. I also have a vmf of the entire blue side already mapped but I'd have to get permission to send that to you if your interested.
o_sobe green is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 06:05 AM   #11
o_eat

Hey Osiris. Rocks are damn easy now using the displacement tool so dont be put off from making a rocky map.

Rock2 is going to get an in house development so I would go for Badlands - lots of people voted for it in a poll someone did on the forums entitled "Map not on the maplist you want to see made".

Other suggestions:
shutdown_l
Fortsake2 - but with a few changes to change the huge choke point problem.
Bam
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 06:17 AM   #12
o_osiris

Quote:
Check out my Cabah topic. I was going to attempt to do it along with a few other people but most of us just don't have the time. I did leave a zip full of some ideas and things I was throwing around in the topic. I also have a vmf of the entire blue side already mapped but I'd have to get permission to send that to you if your interested.
If you wish to send it over I'd be grateful, I usually work on multiple projects at a time so if I run out of ideas on one map I can work on another until I think of something. Helps to keep me working

Quote:
Hey Osiris. Rocks are damn easy now using the displacement tool so dont be put off from making a rocky map.

Rock2 is going to get an in house development so I would go for Badlands - lots of people voted for it in a poll someone did on the forums entitled "Map not on the maplist you want to see made".
Other than the gas, my custom map will have almost no similarites to Rock2. I just might post a hammer screenshot, if you guys want me too that is

EDIT: I almost forgot to mention, Eat, you have by far the best mapping style I've ever seen. I love it! And do you have any pointers for make a 24 sided cylinder curve at something other than a 90degree angle? I've never attempted it before and it's alot harder than I was expecting

Old 03-16-2005, 06:35 AM   #13
o_eat

Yeh that kind of curved cylinder/pipe is possible. There are a few ways of doing it so I'll ouline some of them.

Use the torus tool (select brush tool and then change the block dropdown to torus). You have to experiment with the dimensions and other variables to get it fit right. For some reason if you make the torus completely solid (not hollow) it fucks up, or at least it did last time I checked. Also Ive noticed they dont compile great and vertices move about. Give it a try because if it works its the simplest method.

The way that will always work is using 4 sided polygons. You need 2 of these 4 sided polygons per face of the cylinder (= lots of 4 sided polygons!). You then use the cylinder tool to make templates for your curved pipe (again, this is a lot of cylinders!). Using vertex manipulation you then drop your 4 sided polygons onto the template. This can be a lot of work depending on how fast you are with vertex manip. The good thing is you only need to make 45 degrees worth of polygons coz you can c&p the rest. Once its all made stick the nodraw texture on everything except the visible faces and make it a func_detail. Sorry if this is a bad explanation Im coming to the end of a 12h night shift. I'll try to put some pictures up explaning this method better but I will be unable to get to a PC that has Hammer for a few weeks.
o_eat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 06:40 AM   #14
o_osiris

no I think I got it. Thanks for the tips.

Old 03-16-2005, 06:43 AM   #15
o_dirkpitt

ENCLAVE please I beg you I love that map
o_dirkpitt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 07:39 AM   #16
o_osiris

May as well. Extremely early progress on the outside area (love the texturing eh?)

The water and sky boxes were both made like that to get rid of the "see them through everything" effect. I'll fix them when the time comes. Dont ask about the wierd designs on the wall, I was just messing around trying to fill the space, I'll probly get rid of those tomorrow

Old 03-16-2005, 08:30 AM   #17
o_dirkpitt

Looks nice so far, reminds me of a map, hmm name not coming to mind. Looking foward to new screenies.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:36 AM   #18
o_osiris

I might not be able to get much work done until friday after school seeing as I work today and thursday

Old 03-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #19
o_koochy

Don't mean to be rude.. but what map are you making? :D

just so i can update the maps in production thread :DDDD
o_koochy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-16-2005, 10:32 AM   #20
o_dirkpitt

he's making Enclave after he finishes that map