Go Back   Fortress Forever > Off Topic > Other Games

Old 05-26-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
SomeOldGuy
older than dirt

Posts Rated Helpful 9 Times
Modern Warfare 2 Trailer

The sequel to Call of Duty 4

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/re...-warfare/49655

This game (at least from the trailer perspective) looks quite impressive.
SomeOldGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
fishBurger
get off my lawn

Class/Position: O scout / demo
Gametype: killing
Posts Rated Helpful 0 Times
Sweet.

Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 PM   #3
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Affiliations: SRCDS.com
Posts Rated Helpful 1 Times
CoD4 was great... was 5 any good?
I'm looking forward to this only because the first play campaign for CoD4 was amazing!

Old 05-27-2009, 04:05 AM   #4
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Posts Rated Helpful 6 Times
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Is COD4 worth getting for SP only? I don't care for console games online and until I upgrade I damned sure won't be getting COD for the PC.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 04:08 AM   #5
Agent Buckshot Moose
Wiki Standards Team
Wiki Team

Class/Position: Sniper/Demoman
Gametype: CTF
Affiliations: :e0: Co-leader
Wait... so Call of Duty 5 is not the sequel to Call of Duty 4?

Yeah that makes sense.

I'll just blame EA, whether or not they are involved with CoD at all (I think they are). It's the most logical action.
Agent Buckshot Moose is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 05:55 AM   #6
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost View Post
Is COD4 worth getting for SP only? I don't care for console games online and until I upgrade I damned sure won't be getting COD for the PC.
The Single Player is fantastic. However, it is on the short side. HL2 and Bioshock are both long games. CoD4 was a quicker run. And for me to say a game is short... it's VERY SHORT. I suck at games, so it takes me MUCH longer then the average player to finish.

If you are at all interested in the multiplayer (I never was), you should definitely pick it up. If you want a great single player campaign, go for it... but you might want to wait till you can find a good sale price

Playing the single player through did encourage me to play some multiplayer, but the super-realistic play never was much fun for me in multiplayer. Too many CS fanboys...

Old 05-27-2009, 03:38 PM   #7
Bridget
Banned

Class/Position: Soldier
Gametype: AVD
Affiliations: TALOS
Posts Rated Helpful 5 Times
COD4 was the biggest waste of money I've ever spent. Remember back in the day when games actually had tons of content? Call of Duty 4's singleplayer wasn't all that great (except for the Pripyat/Chernobyl bit, which was blatantly thrown in for marketing – though, I enjoyed the part where you sneak past enemies while literally being right below/behind them.) I must have spent an hour total on the single player, and I was taking my time to enjoy the visuals and fuck about with the AI. Even on Veteran, it's not that difficult, considering the enemies are so static. They don't even flank you. They just sit on the same roof or in the same area, occasionally rushing out, firing at you, then jumping back in to cover. Sure, you have to manage to hit them without getting hit two times (You're dead if you do) but that's not hard when they're not mobile.

The multiplayer is an abomination. When did an SMG that fired the 5.45x39 outpower an assault rifle that fired the 7.62x39? This is with default stats and no perks; It even outpowers some of the lower end sniper rifles. Which, sniper rifles and shotguns.. are complete bullshit. Too bad to dominate at close range and/or long range with the AK or M4? Grab the Shotgun and/or Sniper Rifle, respectively. Hell, you can even overpower them more with perks. Let's not forget the maps are hell. They're so chalked with over-detail that it's hard to spot anyone with your first-person view, which explains why they added UAV.

The Helicopter is cheap as fuck, as if airstrikes on marked targets on a UAV-lit map wasn't enough. Let's not forget the fanbase, too. Rambling twelve year old kids who overestimate themselves, and drooling middle-aged men who were rejected from every branch of the military, so they live out their fantasy in a video game. Absolutely terrible video game. I could have spent that $40.00 on something better.

All graphics, no gameplay. (The graphics are a plus. The magazine throw when you reload an AK looks absolutely bad ass, the maps - while cluttered - look absolutely stunning. That's all COD4 is, really, a presentation of the graphical capability of the engine its run off of. People don't build games anymore, today, they build video game engines and then release absolute shit to demonstrate them.)

NOTE: What's with all of these games on new, amazing graphically-intense engines not including some sort of a gore system? Doesn't have to be crazy, but when I shoot someone at point blank range in the face with a sniper rifle, I shouldn't be able to note his facial features when I examine his ragdoll. A gore system might overpower sniper rifles, but .. just don't make them blow off limbs unless the person is near death anyway. There. Problem solved. No crawling around with one leg. Goddammit.

Last edited by Bridget; 05-27-2009 at 03:45 PM.
Bridget is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-2009, 03:54 PM   #8
Mooga
Colorless FTW
D&A Member
Beta Tester

Bridget, simply because you hate every game ever made does NOT mean they are all bad

Old 05-27-2009, 04:06 PM   #9
Bridget
Banned

I don't hate every game. It's just a coincidence that most of the shit coming out today is absolutely ... well, shit. The last enjoyable game I played was Duke Nukem 3D, about a month ago, and that was released in 1996.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:35 AM   #10
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Posts Rated Helpful 3 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
I don't hate every game. It's just a coincidence that most of the shit coming out today is absolutely ... well, shit. The last enjoyable game I played was Duke Nukem 3D, about a month ago, and that was released in 1996.
Exactly what I'm thinking nowadays. All these newer games are repeating the same shit of other games, ie, they are horrible. Old games are better.
Everything is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 03:07 AM   #11
-=bingo-bango=-
Spirit Studios

Affiliations: Blue Team
Send a message via AIM to -=bingo-bango=- Send a message via MSN to -=bingo-bango=-
i cant tell if youre being sarcastic
-=bingo-bango=- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 03:17 AM   #12
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Who?

Old 05-29-2009, 04:48 AM   #13
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Exactly what I'm thinking nowadays. All these newer games are repeating the same shit of other games, ie, they are horrible. Old games are better.
No. Old games that stand the test of time are better. You tend to think that older things are better because the good things have outlasted the crap. Go to any store that still sells old Sega/SNES games. You'll find 1 good game for every 15-20 shitty ones, easily.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 05:53 AM   #14
Anshinritsumai
°_o

Class/Position: Medic & Engy
Gametype: AvD
Affiliations: DM, OC, -[CfH]-
Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent Buckshot Moose View Post
Wait... so Call of Duty 5 is not the sequel to Call of Duty 4?
CoD5 doesn't exist.... World at War was not considered CoD5 by Infinity Ward or Treyarch, only the media and consumers. That and Infinity Ward has decided to drop the entire title of "Call of Duty" from Modern Warfare 2

Also, Activision is the publisher of the CoD franchise, not EA; but I don't see why we can't bitch about EA for the hell of it.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:58 PM   #15
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
This game is absolutely worth the money, it's prolly the only one SP game I've enjoyed, lol
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2009, 07:09 PM   #16
Everything
This is still alive?
Wiki Team
Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etzell View Post
No. Old games that stand the test of time are better. You tend to think that older things are better because the good things have outlasted the crap. Go to any store that still sells old Sega/SNES games. You'll find 1 good game for every 15-20 shitty ones, easily.
Well, that's what I think. Old games are better to me because their gameplay is one of a kind, or the first of their kind, then on and on, games are building on that, making it repetitive - newer games seem to repeat each other. Sorry, I'm not good at explaining. That's my reasoning.

Be mean if you want, but I am a little dumb. Explain to me what 'stand the test of time' means. How long it lasts before the likeness for it wears off? Enlighten me.

Old 05-29-2009, 07:38 PM   #17
OneManArmy
Ka-boom!

Class/Position: Demo, Solly, Pyro
I guess he means that only the games which don't really get old over the time deserve to be worshipped
OneManArmy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2009, 01:06 AM   #18
Etzell
D&A Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny View Post
Be mean if you want, but I am a little dumb. Explain to me what 'stand the test of time' means. How long it lasts before the likeness for it wears off? Enlighten me.
Games like Mario 3 and The Ocarina of Time have consistently been thought of as good games. Games like Syphon Filter were hyped for a long time (like modern games), and then people realized they were shitty. Syphon Filter is not a good game because it's old, being old has nothing to do with it. It just happens to be an old, shitty game.

It's kind of like how you only hear the decent music from a few decades ago because all of the crap has been filtered out. You only like the good old games because that's all that anyone ever talks about, and you never had to wade through shitty games like Bebe's Kids.
Etzell is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2009, 02:04 AM   #19
Lost
Fear teh crowbar.
Retired FF Staff

Gametype: CTF ftw, yeh
Send a message via Yahoo to Lost
Hey, fucker, Bebe's Kids was the shit!

Not really, it fucking blew... and yeah, I rented that POS with my hard earned lawn mowin money.

You are a pirate!
Lost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2009, 03:05 AM   #20
Bridget
Banned

Syphon Filter was awesome.